DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

Styles Clash as Best Maneuver is dumb as fuck.

THIS. Nothing against AJ, but that move fucking sucks, and always has.

It's been the best protected move in wrestling for the past two years.  No finisher kick-out exchanges with it.  He hits it and the match is over.

Oh, and here's Kaitlyn's butt:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bodies-of-work-volume-4

Cause I know how much some of you like pictures of butts.

If you were to ask me, the term "technical wrestling" is akin to "pop music" in that it's an ever evolving, unstatic concept. Flair is The Beatles, the Radicals are like Van Halen and guys like Bryan and Balor are like Rhianna. You'd never compare their sounds, but each is what pop was considered at the time. Nothing in wrestling means as much as it does as when it's happening in the moment, including the wrestling itself.

Flair was a garbage technical wrestler, though. He was so fucking awkward trying to do holds, and 30 years of working the arm for 20 minutes to set up the figure four (and he'd almost always work the wrong leg, too) drove me bonkers.

stro, can you just change your handle to "Well, Actually...." so that I see your name and know exactly what I'm in for when I read your posts? 

No.  

g6UuQQx.gif

My point was I have no idea how Flair got branded as a technical wrestler. He certainly wasn't a technical wrestler by what was considered technical in his prime, nor was he by the Eddie/Dean/Benoit standards in the 90s.

Biff Busick's on the way to NXT. Now, they just need to sign Timothy Thatcher and ZSJ and let Bryan come back only on condition that he stops doing stupid dives and headdrops and does limbwork and random small packages instead and we can see it revived in the mainstream. Viva la revolucion!

I'm all for nothing but technical wrestling Bryan on the main roster, I've wondered if they brought him back had him tone things all the way down to nothing but matwork and had him join the Authority (he'd probably have to change his look up a little) how it would go over, the Yes Man Daniel Bryan.

Oh it would probably be terrible no doubt, but its not like it would make the show that much worse than its been, that and most of the fans who fell in love with bryan probably wouldn't be about him dropping all the crazy shit for 20 minute matches that are 99% limb holds and no bumping, so a heel turn would probably be necessary.

Plus think of the online outrage for Bryan being a yes man to HHH on tv, it would be glorious.

No.  

g6UuQQx.gif

My point was I have no idea how Flair got branded as a technical wrestler. He certainly wasn't a technical wrestler by what was considered technical in his prime, nor was he by the Eddie/Dean/Benoit standards in the 90s.

As far as I can remember, "suplexes, holds, etc and not too much punching" = technical wrestling in the mid/late 80s.  Consider what Flair did vs what Luger or Brody did. 

If Daniel Bryan came back, toned it down and worked a smarter style then he'd be easily be a top babyface that they could milk for a while. Turning Bryan heel and not capitalizing on that would be incredibly counter productive. 

True but from what we've seen from him is that he will not tone down or work a smarter style, which may be a factor in their refusal to clear him. My idea is hinged on the idea that he changes his style to nothing but matwork, grinding others down and working holds for the majority of the match and outside of long time Bryan fans that style would go over like a lead balloon as a face, he would lose his spot as #1 face quickly working matches like that in a WWE ring. Being heel would be a way for him to work a safe style and possibly stay over since fans would want to see the exciting style that he is depriving them, this is all a lot like anti hardcore Cactus Jack in ECW but would probalbly still get over horribly and be meet with silence within weeks, but the main problem would be the eventual face turn and Bryan probably deciding the best way to do so would be diving head first off the top rope into the barricade or announce table. (Plus you gotta make sure Roman looks good)

But enough of this all and let us look to things that we can agree on, like the need for those Dastardly Broncos and their no-good Peyton Manning to get what they deserve this Sunday.

No.  

g6UuQQx.gif

As far as I can remember, "suplexes, holds, etc and not too much punching" = technical wrestling in the mid/late 80s.  Consider what Flair did vs what Luger or Brody did. 

That's the thing, though. Most of Ric's offense was strikes. Chops, punches, stomps, chop blocks. Throw in a knee breaker, one or two suplexes, and the figure four. And cheating stuff. 

I feel like every time a MMA thing wins a wrestling category, it's just contrarians who want to back up Dave's cute little "UFC is doing wrestling better than wrestling companies are" argument.  Like I'm supposed to believe two meathead bros throwing insults at each other to build one fight, only to hug after the fight, is better than any wrestling program from any company in the world all year long.  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

And yet Meltzer threw temper tantrums for weeks over people voting for Sasha Banks vs. Bayley to make it second in 'best feud", voting Sasha in as the first non-joshi woman's wrestler to make the top ten for Wrestler of the year...all while the Sasha vs. Bayley feud boiled down to "Sasha throws insults at Bayley to build to one fight, only for the two to hug after the fight", then did it for both of their matches..

Where did he throw these tantrums?

Had an awful awful daydream today....

Royal Rumble, 30th entry, clock ticks down

"X-Pac, make some noise!!....."

Riots ensue...

Would be better if he came out to the X Factor theme...

If I heard "You're dealing with a wicked X-Factor", I'd be relieved if it was Waltman who came out, considering the alternative.

credible.jpg

Re: Tammy Sytch

Ew. She doesn't seem healthy enough psychologically for that type of profession. 

Re: X-Pac

I'd be kinda excited. I like X-Pac. Unfortunately, I don't like the possibility of X-Pac bleeding on someone accidentally, so alas, your daydream remains a dream. 

No.  

g6UuQQx.gif

That's the thing, though. Most of Ric's offense was strikes. Chops, punches, stomps, chop blocks. Throw in a knee breaker, one or two suplexes, and the figure four. And cheating stuff. 

And yet somehow the wrestling mags were consistently able to capture photographic evidence of Flair doing technical stuff.