DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

I feel like every time a MMA thing wins a wrestling category, it's just contrarians who want to back up Dave's cute little "UFC is doing wrestling better than wrestling companies are" argument.  Like I'm supposed to believe two meathead bros throwing insults at each other to build one fight, only to hug after the fight, is better than any wrestling program from any company in the world all year long.  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

• Like 2

NXT gets best weekly show when the best stuff is on the specials that aren't the weekly show

They must really like Mojo Rawley more than Pentagon Jr or something.  Buncha fucks

Lucha Underground got the most #1 votes, but got the second number of votes over all by only 36.

I feel like every time a MMA thing wins a wrestling category, it's just contrarians who want to back up Dave's cute little "UFC is doing wrestling better than wrestling companies are" argument.  Like I'm supposed to believe two meathead bros throwing insults at each other to build one fight, only to hug after the fight, is better than any wrestling program from any company in the world all year long.  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

And yet Meltzer threw temper tantrums for weeks over people voting for Sasha Banks vs. Bayley to make it second in 'best feud", voting Sasha in as the first non-joshi woman's wrestler to make the top ten for Wrestler of the year...all while the Sasha vs. Bayley feud boiled down to "Sasha throws insults at Bayley to build to one fight, only for the two to hug after the fight", then did it for both of their matches..

• Like 1

If you were to ask me, the term "technical wrestling" is akin to "pop music" in that it's an ever evolving, unstatic concept. Flair is The Beatles, the Radicals are like Van Halen and guys like Bryan and Balor are like Rhianna. You'd never compare their sounds, but each is what pop was considered at the time. Nothing in wrestling means as much as it does as when it's happening in the moment, including the wrestling itself.

• Like 6

When I think about it, how much technical wrestling IS there any more?  Most mainstream wrestling seems to boil down to strike exchanges and big movez.

There's a whole subgenre of WoS tribute acts right now out on the indies.

Yeah, there's more technical wrestling on the US indie, UK indie, and Lucha scene now than ever before maybe. There's even sprinklings of it in Japan again.

If you were to ask me, the term "technical wrestling" is akin to "pop music" in that it's an ever evolving, unstatic concept. Flair is The Beatles, the Radicals are like Van Halen and guys like Bryan and Balor are like Rhianna. You'd never compare their sounds, but each is what pop was considered at the time. Nothing in wrestling means as much as it does as when it's happening in the moment, including the wrestling itself.

Flair was a garbage technical wrestler, though. He was so fucking awkward trying to do holds, and 30 years of working the arm for 20 minutes to set up the figure four (and he'd almost always work the wrong leg, too) drove me bonkers.

When I think about it, how much technical wrestling IS there any more?  Most mainstream wrestling seems to boil down to strike exchanges and big movez.

There's a whole subgenre of WoS tribute acts right now out on the indies.

You say that as if that's a bad thing.

I think this might be my favorite post ever written.

• Like 1

Biff Busick's on the way to NXT. Now, they just need to sign Timothy Thatcher and ZSJ and let Bryan come back only on condition that he stops doing stupid dives and headdrops and does limbwork and random small packages instead and we can see it revived in the mainstream. Viva la revolucion!

My favorite spots in wrestling today all involve limb/joint manipulation, especially guys working over the fingers of their opponents. I think my childhood love for Bret Hart and the Regal/Flair series where they worked it like WoS-rounds style except with judges scoring the bouts primed me for that sort of thing. 

• Like 1