DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

So, how long have the Wyatt's been doing the upside down Horseman gimmick with their hands? I only noticed it this week....

Also, if I'm late to the party, does it actually mean anything? 

Clearly hinting at a feud with Rousey and her yaks.

Outside of the big 4 WWE shows, which filler ppv has consistently produced the best matches over the years?

I'm leaning towards No Way Out, which due to its proximity to Mania, tended to get the best efforts from everyone involved and inspired storylines. There were at least 3 legitimate MOTDCs between the HHH/Austin 3 stages of hell, Angle/Taker, and Eddie/Lesnar. They pretty much all have at least one MOTYC and every show from 98-09 was solid at worst. The only bad one was when they brought the name back for the June 2012 show that was headlined by a Cena/Show cage match with Big Johnny's career on the line.

ONS/Extreme Rules (I lump these two together because they're functionally the same thing with mostly/all hardcore matches) is a sleeper candidate. They usually run into something good on each show and have a couple MOTDCs to show (The 6-person intergender tag in 06, and Cena/Lesnar in 2012).

I think the MITB match is more of a replacement for KOTR in the sense that it's basically the company telling you "this midcarder is moving up."

I do agree Survivor Series' stock has plummeted in the last 10 years, and it's only a Big 4 by reputation at this point. Sting debut notwithstanding, the last time it felt important was during the hard brand split with the Raw vs. SD tags.

I love the Elimination Chamber gimmick, and they are actually some of the few shows where I watch the matches over again in the modern era for WWE. I'd go with that as the best non-big four PPV. 

Part of me wishes her a speedy recovery.

The other part of me is ecstatic that she won't be around to ruin Sasha making Charlotte tap in front of 100,000+ people. 

That's what Paige is for...

• Like 2

Where does WWE go with New Day? They have beat every team in the company and are running laps now. NXT does not have any teams ready to move up or good enough. 

They will probably take on Swagger and Henry next. You might be able to turn the Ascension, but I don't think those guys are salvageable.

You could turn them face, but I'm not sure how you could do it without ruining the act. 

One sure feud would be vs Rowan and Harper. But they should hold off.. 

NXT seems to be in a similar situation with tag teams. Everyone besides Jordan/Gable and Dash/Dawson have been spinning their wheels or done everything they could do for two years. Vaudvillians have been champs as faces and heels, Enzo and Cass have failed to win the titles 3 or 4 times now, Blake and Murphy are Blake and Murphy. And if/when Jordan/Gable win, well they've already defeated all the other teams on the way to the title, so they're already fighting from behind to begin with.

Where does WWE go with New Day? They have beat every team in the company and are running laps now. NXT does not have any teams ready to move up or good enough. 

They will probably take on Swagger and Henry next. You might be able to turn the Ascension, but I don't think those guys are salvageable.

You could turn them face, but I'm not sure how you could do it without ruining the act. 

One sure feud would be vs Rowan and Harper. But they should hold off.. 

Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson.

On the good non-big 4 shows, Backlash had a decent few year run as a show that was the 'Sorry about Wrestlemania sucking, here it is again with better matches instead of all the celebrity bullshit' show.

What's more disturbing is that it's part of a whole series. You can collect the Raymond Burr. The Danny Kaye. The Chuck Berry.

Danny Thomas, not Danny Kaye.

Exactly. Didn't the Boogie Woogie/glass table story originate here in the sleaze thread? Someone simply took the longstanding Danny Thomas urban legend and replaced it with Boogie and the Rock N Roll Express.

What's more disturbing is that it's part of a whole series. You can collect the Raymond Burr. The Danny Kaye. The Chuck Berry.

Exactly. Didn't the Boogie Woogie/glass table story originate here in the sleaze thread? Someone simply took the longstanding Danny Thomas urban legend and replaced it with Boogie and the Rock N Roll Express.

No clue if I have posted this here before. But last Labor Day weekend I was doing video work for a fed in North MS who brought in Boogie Woogie. Before the show we are all hanging out in the locker room. And someone that had rode with me asked Boogie about the glass table story. "I AM TIRED OF THESE LIES AND HALF TRUTHS ABOUT ME ALL OVER THE INTERNET BROTHER!!...... It was the Midnights that walked in not the Rock N Rolls!" then he laughed. 

So either he just confirmed the story. Or he was just joking. Still it was a great moment from a weekend full of great moments.Like watching the Lawler/Funk empty arena match in an empty arena and half way thru watching it Jerry Lawler came in. Walked over and did a bit of commentary while watching it with us.

• Like 10

No clue if I have posted this here before. But last Labor Day weekend I was doing video work for a fed in North MS who brought in Boogie Woogie. Before the show we are all hanging out in the locker room. And someone that had rode with me asked Boogie about the glass table story. "I AM TIRED OF THESE LIES AND HALF TRUTHS ABOUT ME ALL OVER THE INTERNET BROTHER!!...... It was the Midnights that walked in not the Rock N Rolls!" then he laughed.

So either he just confirmed the story. Or he was just joking. Still it was a great moment from a weekend full of great moments.Like watching the Lawler/Funk empty arena match in an empty arena and half way thru watching it Jerry Lawler came in. Walked over and did a bit of commentary while watching it with us.

That's awesome

Outside of the big 4 WWE shows, which filler ppv has consistently produced the best matches over the years?

I'm leaning towards No Way Out, which due to its proximity to Mania, tended to get the best efforts from everyone involved and inspired storylines. There were at least 3 legitimate MOTDCs between the HHH/Austin 3 stages of hell, Angle/Taker, and Eddie/Lesnar. They pretty much all have at least one MOTYC and every show from 98-09 was solid at worst. The only bad one was when they brought the name back for the June 2012 show that was headlined by a Cena/Show cage match with Big Johnny's career on the line.

ONS/Extreme Rules (I lump these two together because they're functionally the same thing with mostly/all hardcore matches) is a sleeper candidate. They usually run into something good on each show and have a couple MOTDCs to show (The 6-person intergender tag in 06, and Cena/Lesnar in 2012).

Good question.

There's the February PPV on the road to WrestleMania. Matches need mentioning: Triple H vs. Cactus Jack (2000), Triple H vs. Steve Austin (2001), Brock Lesnar vs. Eddie Guerrero (2004), Angle vs. Undertaker (2006), the RAW Elimination Chamber match from 2009 remains the best ever Elimination Chamber match, the Smackdown Elimination Chamber match from 2011, Wyatt vs. Shield Family I (2014) is *****.

Notable matches from the first PPV after WrestleMania: Steve Austin vs. The Rock (1999), Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley and Benoit vs. Michaels vs. Triple H from 2004, The Undertaker vs. Batista and Cena vs. Michaels vs. Edge vs. Orton from 2007, Cena vs. Lesnar *****, Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus and CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho in 2012.

At the Money in the Bank PPV: The RAW and Smackdown 2010 MITB Ladder matches, CM Punk vs. John Cena ***** in 2011 and the Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder match is still the best MITB Ladder match.

I'd go for the February PPV just ahead of the post WrestleMania show. I'd also say all three events are bigger than Survivor Series, the least of the big four shows.

And it was probably the best commentary he's done in at least a decade.