DVDVR Message Board

RIP Alan Rickman

AxB

We're only 14 days into the year and already I'm thinking "Fuck 2016"  A third notable death (and more as covered in the general celebrity death thread)  The fact all three died of cancer really fucking sucks.  Can never say this enough, but fuck cancer, fuck it so much.

I'm not a fan of my voice and would have killed to have a voice nearly as awesome as Alan's.  And he had a great variety of roles.  Aside from the ones mentioned I absolutely loved him in Dogma.  He was absolutely tremendous in it.  And I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I damn sure loved him as Snape.  Damn, what a great actor and from what's been presented great guy he was also.  RIP, Alan.

• Like 1

If you are British, 69 years old, and famous, watch out cause cancer has declared open season on your ass this year apparently...

Thank god my Dad isn't famous.

When you think of Die Hard, not only was it his movie debut (he'd done a bit of TV work, but was basically a pure stage actor at the time), but he nailed the role so hard it not only opened the Hollywood career door for him, it opened the door for so many of his peers that a couple of years later it was a cliche that the villain in every action movie was a British stage actor. He goes to LA to try a couple of auditions, test the waters, see if there's any interest out there, and within a fortnight he's got second lead in the best action movie ever.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I work across the street from News Corp and their crawl just framed him as "the lizard guy from 'Galaxy Quest.'"  :mellow:

BURN. IT. TO. THE. GROUND.

We should probably be doing that anyway, frankly. 

It's really creepy how these deaths in show business seem to happen so close together.

I remember always thinking recently that I never really believed Rickman was in his 60s because I always thought he looked younger.  So surprising he and David Bowie were sick.  

I'm comforted at least that Rickman is leaving a pretty nice legacy, both as a classical actor of the stage, and as a guy who played really awesome cinematic badguys.  But in Snape, he played a bad guy everyone thought was bad but deep down was truly good.  

He was Eamon DeValera in Michael Collins (with Liam Neeson) as well and fucking owned it!!

RIP

Apparently, he did not like the "watered down" ending.

Ya he apparently wanted the proper ending to the story and not a "Hollywood" ending.

Have to respect him even more now.Great man.

Truly, Madly, Deeply is on youtube with spanish subtitles but it's pretty rough VQ. It's almost impossible to get otherwise it seems. I've never seen it.

Truly, Madly, Deeply is on youtube with spanish subtitles but it's pretty rough VQ. It's almost impossible to get otherwise it seems. I've never seen it.

It was on the college art film circuit when i saw it. Dont know if i have seen it since. Until the other day, id forgotten it was directed by anthony minghella.

• Like 1

As a sidebar Kevin Smith talks a bit more in depth about Rickman on Hollywood Babble-On this week. I think it's about 52 minutes in. The segment tinsel town stiffs starts about 40 minutes in covering Lemmy David bowie and several others.