DVDVR Message Board

The X-Files

Swift

Yeah, that was clearly the bright spot in this mini-series in my mind. Darin Morgan is a beauty of a writer. The garbage monster was an interesting reversal of the season 6 closed-gate community garbage monster (they even both referenced the tulpa). However, it was a bit hamfisted like most of the X-Files episodes focusing on cultural/racial/social issues tend to be. They can cover those issues much better when they're more discrete about it.

Fucking hated this week's episode. "Not every Muslim is a terrorist." No, just every Muslim on American TV (or 99% of them). I was just sitting there during the cold open thinking "please don't write them as terrorists... please!" *Boom* "aw, fuuuug." Then it didn't get much better from there. Mulder's trip could've been funny but the build-up to it felt cheap and rushed.

If it was the second monster of the week episode, then that would be episode 3. I'm sorry you missed one of the best episodes in the whole run of X-Files.

I meant the garbage monster episode.  Wait, are you calling that lizard man episode one of the greatest ever?  We have vastly different tastes, because I found that one to be wildly self indulgent and too clever by half.

It's low-end Darin Morgan X-Files which is a high-end episode for the show. I wouldn't go so far as to say top 10, but I really enjoyed it. I think Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung, Humbug, and War of the Coprophages were better than the were-monster but those are some of the series' best episodes.

I do get that his style isn't for everybody though.

They really shouldve taken a leaf out of Fringe's book and had all the episodes inter-related in some way - six standalone episodes meant there was no consistency from scene to scene... and I'm not saying they should've been all mythology episodes but it should've had some impact or been referenced continually whether background news or having a thread that lead to the conspiracy in some way.

For being brought back because of a conspiracy that's so huge it dwarfed the other ones they'd been chasing for over nine years, Mulder and Scully didn't seem to have much urgency to solve anything. Half the time they were jokey "remember this shit" and half the time they were super-serious about their missing son. And then they ended it on a fucking cliffhanger. For a miniseries. With no announced return date. What little faith I had when they brought the show back has been depleted

This finale just confirmed that Fringe was a way better version of X-Files than X-Files could ever be. Fringe did monster of the week shit better, it made the MotW stuff tie into the overall mythos, it teased a HUGE event in the very first season and they actually paid off on that with the last 2 seasons.

Like you guys said, I began wondering why the hell they would even dick around with MotW stuff or agent-y stuff when the world is ending. Like, why even reinstate the X-Files? So that Skinner could keep around two do-nothing agents for when the shit hits the fan? Presumably, someone was investigating some of the weirder cases, or was no one investigating them?

Why doesn't this shit make any sense?!?

At first I was fine with this season, but as it progressed, I just kept wondering why they bothered with any of this crap waiting for stuff to go down or why no one gave a bigger shit about a spaceship disappearing and not coming back until, or that whole lab getting blown up, etc. Just a total lack of urgency to, like you said, give a bunch of winks and nods to the previous run. That was cute for a few episodes, but man, save the world or something. I just love how the CSM in that first episode goes, "they've re-opened the X-Files" and then...nothing. Not a damn thing for a whole bunch of episodes. With Fringe, there was an actual war between universes and things got very apocalyptic. X-Files just wants to flirt with that concept not give huge, weighty events like that the respect they deserve. Which, if that's the case, then don't even make the show about this grand apocalyptic event.

For being brought back because of a conspiracy that's so huge it dwarfed the other ones they'd been chasing for over nine years, Mulder and Scully didn't seem to have much urgency to solve anything.

That's one reason I stopped watching this.  I made the same argument, "there's a huge new conspiracy and they're out there assing off on a monster of the week without a care in the world."  Someone came back with, "well the original show did that, too."  Yes, but the original show was 20-some eps per season and needed the filler.  This is six episodes and it's insulting to do masturbatory bullshit like the two comedy episodes.

man, episode 1 set up some really good possibilities.

episode 3 was my personal highlight of the revival.

episode 5 made me roll my eyes a number of times.

episode 6 was complete and utter shit. i'm not mad about the cliffhanger. i had already completely checked out by that point. literally everything else in the entire hour was some bullshit.

• 1 month later...

so, it's been over a month since the last episode aired. i don't follow TV rumors and whatnot, but i would think enough time has passed to get all the ratings and whatever the networks need. so, is there anything else in the works? a new full season? movie? netflix revival?  strike while the iron's hot and all that.

13 episodes for the next four or five years that air January to March would be tight. I liked the 6 episodes the Morgan Episode was great and the garbage monster was classic X-Files.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Are they still making more seasons of The Fall?

that would give her 3 shows all at once (american gods being the third).

The show's creator says he has ideas for a fourth season, but that it would be a ways do the road.  Nothing's been officially announced regarding another season. 

X-Files is one of my favorite shows ever I think the 6 episode season 10 was pretty good. They hinted at it in an episode of the last season but I'd like to see them explore the whereabouts of William and what he's up to. And I might be the only person who feels this way but I'd like to see Doggett come back, I never hated the character.

I watched the trailer and can honestly say that I couldn't give two shits. The show never should've come back.

And yet I'll probably still watch this nonsense out of some completist urge. And hate myself for it.

• Like 2