DVDVR Message Board

Match of the Year 2016

Greggulator

We probably need to start this up. I still haven't seen ADR/Kallisto yet, which I'm sure will get some chatter.

NEW DAY vs. USOS (w/ Jericho):

I know no one will agree with me but this was such an awesome bunch of pro wrestling in one bundle. The segment starts with The Highlight Reel. Jericho is stale but he still knows how to work a crowd to get them to chant ridiculous things. Live audiences are still pretty into him. The New Day are awesome stooge comedy heels -- a modern day, and better, bWo. Their antics are so ridiculous and wonderful. They and the Usos start beefing over the SLAMMY AWARDS ("Okay, Jim." "I'm Jimmy.), which is such great dumb wrestling. Then Big E. throws out the "there are 3 of us and only 2 of you!" argument, completely oblivious to the presence of Chris Jericho right there. That's so over-the-top. I love it so much.

The match itself started as typically solid WWE tag wrestling between a bunch of guys who know how to work. But The Usos also weren't afraid to throw in some goofball things of their own, particularly with a "arm wave" breakdancing thing early in the match. Big E. is so great in this role as a space cadet. Like someone showing off their dance moves INFURIATES him to the point where it becomes a disadvantage.

Xavier Woods is the best corner act in ages. He's such a great shit-talking Michael Hayes type. He's legitimately hilarious and never, ever stops running his mouth. I loved how one ad break started with Jericho chasing Woods off, with Woods completely selling an incoming Jericho attack like he was in the Battle of Antietam. Jericho's face is great -- just a total "You cannot be serious" look.

The end segment was great. There were the customary blind tags and apron pull-offs and attempts to hit cheap shots The New Day have mastered. (Kofi is so friggin' great in this role. I love how he's the subtle ring general holding this tomfoolery together.) Whoever Uso does a great dive to the floor. Repeat that until the New Day's hijinks backfire, resulting in an Usos win.

And, of course, along the way Xavier tried to intervene only to get caught by Jericho. Who broke his trombone as Xavier screamed like it was the end of the Wrath of Kahn. Jericho played it to the crowd great, getting everyone into that one moment.

This was pretty much everything I love about pro wrestling -- sublime entertainment, ridiculous characters and antics, tied around a very good in-ring match -- in one.

Those two Becky/Charlotte matches so far have been awesome. Super tight, fast matches. I loved the first one where Charlotte gave a few disdainful looks to tease the total heel turn coming at the end. The Smackdown match would have blown everyone's minds if it was at a NXT Takeover. Charlotte is really great at being a heel. And Ric is the ultimate stage dad. Great feud.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Styles vs Jericho II from Smackdown was arguably the WWE MOTY so far; Ranallo on commentary is a plus point, but Styles and Jericho brought it and made a Smackdown match feel important for the first time in a long time. Jericho was still a bit wonky here and there, but it was probably his best match since the 2013 match vs Punk.

If he stays healthy, I can see Styles matches dominating this list because he seems to be adjusting to WWE style just fine.

Yeah, I rewatched that last night on NBC Universo (hey, no King!) and it was still awesome. What stood out to me the first time was the stiffness and what stood out to me this time was the selling from both guys which was just pitch perfect. Then again AJ was kind of making Jericho sell on the legit. That forearm they replayed and later the spinning backchop that blasted Jericho right in the ear had him hurting. 

Jericho/Styles was solid, but I almost think I liked Sasha/Naomi more. Weak year so far that should pick up big time when Nakamura, Aries, and La Sombra show up in NXT, Cesaro gets back, and Sami gets to work tv matches every week on the MR.

I guess I can start my list. Hopefully more good stuff comes along.

1. Zayn vs. Nakamura (Dallas)
  2. American Alpha vs. Revival (The End)
  3. Revival vs. DIY (Toronto)
  4. Owens vs. Zayn (Battleground)
  5. Ibushi vs. Alexander (CWC 8/10)
  6. Sasha vs. Charlotte (Raw 11/28)
  7. Owens vs. Zayn (Payback)
  8. Aries vs. Nakamura (The End)
  9. Ibushi vs. Perkins (CWC 9/14)
  10. Revival vs. DIY (Brooklyn)
  11. Sasha vs. Charlotte (Raw 7/25)
  12. Gulak vs. ZSJ (CWC 8/24)
  13. Balor vs. Neville (NXT 3/2)
  14. Asuka vs. Nia (The End)
  15. Balor vs. Swann (NXT 3/23)
  16. Sasha vs. Charlotte (HIAC)
  17. Gargano vs. Perkins (CWC 8/24)
  18. Owens vs. Styles (Raw 5/23)
  19. Owens vs. Rollins (HIAC)
  20. Bayley vs. Asuka (Brooklyn)
  21. Kendrick vs. Mendoza (CWC 7/27)
  22. Bayley vs. Asuka (Dallas)
  23.  Balor vs. Crews (NXT 2/3)
  24. Owens vs. Jericho vs. Rollins vs. Roman vs. Braun (Raw 11/7)
  25. Owens vs. Ziggler (Main Event 4/12)
  26.  New Day vs. Jericho/Styles (Raw 3/7)

• 4 weeks later...

My first time 2016:

All:

1.    Dean Ambrose vs. Kevin Owens. WWE Royal Rumble, 24th January.

2.    Chris Jericho vs. AJ Styles. WWE Smackdown, 11th January.

3.    Big E/Kofi Kingston vs. AJ Styles/Chris Jericho. WWE RAW, 7th March.

4.    Samoa Joe vs. Sami Zayn. WWE NXT, 9th March.

5.    AJ Styles vs. Chris Jericho. WWE Fastlane, 21st February.

TV:

1.    Chris Jericho vs. AJ Styles. WWE Smackdown, 11th January.

2.    Big E/Kofi Kingston vs. AJ Styles/Chris Jericho. WWE RAW, 7th March.

3.    Samoa Joe vs. Sami Zayn. WWE NXT, 9th March.

4.    Kevin Owens vs. Neville. WWE RAW, 7th March.

5.    Bayley vs. Carmella. WWE NXT, 10th February.

2016’s a poor year so far with no Match of the Year candidates. In the same time period, 2014 produced four in date order: Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan at the Royal Rumble, John Cena vs. Cesaro on the 17th February RAW, Wyatt Family vs. Shield, Elimination Chamber 2014 which remained my Match of the Year and Wyatt Family vs. Shield II on the 3rd of Match RAW in Chicago.

In the same time period from 2015 there were four in chronological order: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins at the Royal Rumble, Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn from NXT TakeOver: Rival, Sasha Banks vs. Bayley vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte also on NXT TakeOver: Rival and Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins at WrestleMania XXXI, my Match of the Year.

• 3 weeks later...

SAMI/NAK, TAKEOVER -- Something that will probably be remembered as "Fight Forever." This was my first exposure to Nak. I don't watch wrestling outside of the WWE and its products. This started out of time constraints but now it's because I assume everyone in Japan/ROH/etc. is going to end up on NXT. I like not knowing who they are. The only thing I knew about Nak was the King of Strong Style highlight reel and I saw two or three of his badass entrances in New Japan.

This match ruled. It felt like I was watching pro wrestling's Arutro Gatti/Mickey Ward. For those who don't know, they were two boxers known for having slugfests. People went in expecting their match to be an absolute brawl and expectations were exceeded greatly. Their first match featured arguably the greatest single round in boxing history. The part of this match where they just clubbed the hell out of each other with forearm shivers, that prompted the awesome "Fight Forever" chant, was unreal. Just two guys wanting to hit each other in the face until one person couldn't do it anymore. There were so many other great things in this match -- Sami's Blue Thunder Bomb near fall, Nak kicking Sami in the face in the Corner DDT, etc. This was just spectacular stuff.

It's also likely Sami's last NXT match, obviously. This was a great curtain call and THE way to get out. Sami was the heart and soul of NXT. NXT was a lot of fun before he arrived -- The Wyatts were doing their crazy stuff, Paige and Emma were coming on strong, Big E., etc. But Sami's arrival changed the game. All of a sudden, NXT had an avatar for the audience. NXT was sort of told from Sami's perspective in so many ways. He was the league's moral code. And Sami ALWAYS had the ball stripped from him. He lost so many of his big matches -- from Cesaro to Nak. And even his biggest triumph, the win against Neville, was ruined by the treachery of his best friend.

But through it all, Sami carried himself with strength and fortitude and dignity. And he left tonight giving it his all against an absolute force of a competitor. He lost, but his held is and always will be held high.

• Like 3

If Bayley/Auska had gone on 45 minutes earlier, it might have taken over the number one spot on my list.

But Nak/Sami happened first so no chance of that. Christ what a great show.

• Like 2

So far I'd say

1) Sami/Nakamura

2) Sami/Joe  2/3 Falls

3) Bayley/Asuka

4) American Alpha vs. Revival

5) Sasha/Becky/Charlotte

It's been a weak year so far. Thankfully the last month or so have given some standouts.

Also that 2/3 falls match is not getting nearly enough love. Loses the story a bit toward the end but genuinely some of the best storytelling I've seen in WWE the last couple years.

• Like 1

All:

1. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

2. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. WWE WrestleMania XXXII, 3rd April.

3. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

4. Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

5. Bayley vs. Asuka. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

TV:

2. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

3. Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

4. Bayley vs. Asuka. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

5. Chris Jericho vs. AJ Styles. WWE Smackdown, 11th January.

My head and shoulders front runner is Zayn vs Nakamura however there have been some real good ones aside from that. I really loved the Triple Threat at WrestleMania for the Women's Championship and feel it deserves some love as well. I've yet to see the Zayn vs Joe two out of three falls match but I hear great things.

• Like 1

Right now, I've got:

1. Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (NXT Takeover: Dallas)

2. Samoa Joe vs. Finn Bálor (NXT Takeover: Dallas)

3. Bayley vs. Asuka (NXT Takeover: Dallas)

4. American Alpha vs. The Revival (NXT Takeover: Dallas)

5. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch (WWE Wrestlemania 32)

6. Bayley vs. Carmella (NXT weekly, 2/10)

7. Enzo and Cass vs. The Revival (WWE Roadblock)

8. Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch  (Royal Rumble)

9. Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe [2 out of 3 falls] (NXT weekly, 3/9)

10. Finn Bálor vs. Rich Swann (NXT weekly, 3/23)

I've seen everything posted in the Main Event/Superstars thread plus all the Raw and Smackdown stuff that people pimp and the NXT shows. Without NXT, this would be a terrible year so far for this company. I must be burned out on WWE style because everything just blends together match-wise on WWE shows for the most part. It's hard to get excited about, say, Zack Ryder or Jack Swagger having the same good match on a B-Show every week. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All:

2. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. WWE WrestleMania XXXII, 3rd April.

3. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

4. Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

5. Bayley vs. Asuka. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

TV:

2. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

3. Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

4. Bayley vs. Asuka. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

5. Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE Main Event, 12th April.

Please check out Owens vs. Ziggler from WWE Main Event. One of my favourite TV matches this year. Headlock Master! King of Headlocks!

This Owens/Ziggler match might be my favorite match ever. I can just tell backstage Owens/Ziggler were trying to put together some ridiculous match for Main Event. Owens's pro-headlock stance is amazing ("HE SAID YES I HEARD HIM!"), as is his ranting about The King's ridiculous shirt with bedazzle beads. Ziggler also gets a brief headlock on KO who SPRINTS to the ropes screaming in pain. KO also sets up something elaborate and just slaps on a headlock/chinlock again. It actually works really well since Dolph does a great job firing up and it makes his offense look so fast compared to KO's nonsense.

"NOBODY BREAKS MY HEADLOCK!"

There are a bunch of really good reversals/counters and an insane frog splash from KO.

It also ends with KO stealing and smashing Rich Brennan's phone.

A+. One million billion stars.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Greggulator said:

This Owens/Ziggler match might be my favorite match ever. I can just tell backstage Owens/Ziggler were trying to put together some ridiculous match for Main Event. Owens's pro-headlock stance is amazing ("HE SAID YES I HEARD HIM!"), as is his ranting about The King's ridiculous shirt with bedazzle beads. Ziggler also gets a brief headlock on KO who SPRINTS to the ropes screaming in pain. KO also sets up something elaborate and just slaps on a headlock/chinlock again. It actually works really well since Dolph does a great job firing up and it makes his offense look so fast compared to KO's nonsense.

"NOBODY BREAKS MY HEADLOCK!"

There are a bunch of really good reversals/counters and an insane frog splash from KO.

It also ends with KO stealing and smashing Rich Brennan's phone.

A+. One million billion stars.

Glad another person's checked it out. Great match, very funny as well thanks to KO's antics.