DVDVR Message Board

Match of the Year 2016

Greggulator

This is what I have so far. I might also be slightly low on CWC stuff but I really did enjoy it a ton:

1. The Revival vs. American Alpha, 6/8, Takeover: The End
2. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn, 4/1, Takeover: Revival
3. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte, 7/25, Raw
4. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens, 7/24, Battleground
5. Bayley vs. Asuka, 4/1, Takeover: Revival
6. The Revival vs. American Alpha, 7/6 NXT TV
7. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe, 4/1, Takeover: Revival
8. The Revival vs. Gargano and Ciampa, 8/20, Takeover: Brooklyn II
9. Bayley vs. Nia Jax, 7/20, NXT TV 
10. Seamus vs. Cesaro, 9/25, Clash of Champions
11. The Revival vs. American Alpha 4/1, Takeover: Revival
12. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles, 5/1, Payback
13. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles, 5/22, Extreme Rules
14. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte, 10/3, Raw 
15. The New Day vs. AJ Styles & Chris Jericho, 3/14, Raw
16. Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander, 8/10, CWC
17. Roman Reigns vs. Rusev, 8/15, Raw
18. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks, 8/21, Summerslam
19. Brian Kendrick vs. Kota Ibushi, 8/31, CWC
20. TJP vs. Kota Ibushi, 9/14, CWC

Edited by maciej
  • Like 1

On 25/10/2016 at 11:28 PM, Charlie M. said:

Top 25

1. AJ Styles vs. Roman Reigns (Extreme Rules)
  2. Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (Takeover Dallas)
  3. AJ Styles vs. John Cena (SummerSlam)
  4. The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler (No Mercy)
  5. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks (RAW October 3)
  6. AJ Styles vs. John Cena (Money In The Bank)
  7. Chris Jericho & AJ Styles vs. New Day (RAW March 7)
  8. AJ Styles vs. Roman Reigns (Payback)
  9. AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose (Backlash)
  10. Fatal Four Way (Extreme Rules)
  11. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens (Battleground)
  12. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks (RAW July 23)
  13. Gargano & Ciampa vs. The Revival (Takeover Brooklyn)
  14. TJ Perkins vs. Kota Ibushi (CWC)
  15. The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler (Backlash)
  16. Tajiri vs. Gran Metalik (CWC)
  17. Cesaro vs. Sheamus (Clash of Champions)
  18. Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander (CWC)
  19. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins (Money in the Bank)
  20. American Alpha vs. The Revival (Takeover The End)
  21. The Miz vs. Cesaro (Smackdown May 26)
  22. The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose (Smackdown June 30)
  23. Alberto Del Rio vs. Kalisto (Smackdown January 14)
  24. Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch (Smackdown January 7)
  25. AJ Styles vs. Dolph Ziggler (Smackdown August 23)

Looking through my list, it's pretty clear that AJ Styles is destroying the field in terms of Wrestler of the Year. I couldn't even find a way to fit in some of his other great TV match work. Contenders for the #2 spot would have to be Miz, Cesaro, Charlotte, and Roman.

I'm probably lower on the CWC stuff than most and I seem to be lacking in NXT even though all the Takeovers have been strong shows.

AJ Styles is the Wrestler of the Year by a long way. The Royal Rumble match debut, the matches with Chris Jericho, Roman Reigns especially, John Cena, Dean Ambrose and James Ellsworth. Fighting it out for runner up places: Kevin Owens, Roman Reigns, The Miz, Cesaro and Charotte.

On 26/10/2016 at 5:57 AM, maciej said:

Watched my #1 Revival/Alpha match just now to cheer myself up after the baseball and it is definitely still my #1 in WWE or anywhere else in the world. Just so many wonderful moments.

Could do with seeing it again,

• Like 1

Sasha/Charlotte from HITC is the most polarizing match in a while. I absolutely loved this match. It was just absolutely insane on every level and a great possible end to a Charlotte/Sasha war that had two Raw MOTYCs and also intertwined itself a bit with developing Dana AND Bayley. This was such a great story arc they had to adjust a bit because of Sasha's injuries. And it was an awesome way to end the feud (for now).

The introductions were so bad-ass. Charlotte coming down in a throne was amazing. Sasha's Escalade, though, is so perfect. Loved her out of the sunroof mirroring Eddie.

Love the story. Charlotte cheapshotting Sasha to start the match was just heel beauty at its best and perfect for her character and something that would make her dad smile. The hate at the beginning was great. They spilled into the crowd during a cage match, which is just super awesome. And it was NASTY. I liked how they set up to the big powerbomb spot leading to the stretch job. That was such an awesome reference to Foley's HITC insanity, which he referenced a whole bunch in the set-up to the feud. This match is SERIOUS and people get hurt.

Charlotte's heel taunts were so great while Sasha was on the stretcher. What a terrible person.

Sasha's comeback was great and perfect. It was hammy, but whatever, it's fucking wrestling. I want hammy and over-the-top. I loved how she slapped the ever living crap out of Charlotte, which prompted Charlotte to try and cowardly flee through the door, only to remember it was locked. She thought she had an easy out, but it backfired, and now she actually had to deal with a pissed off Sasha who already beat her twice in a cage.

The match had so many crazy spots. I didn't think any of them were set up really badly. They really did a great job of keeping things in place. I loved how they had the chair in the ring and placed perfectly for when Sasha needed it to clock the crap out of Charlotte's ribs when she was bridging for the Figure 8. The Spiderman spot was great. Maybe the tables didn't break fully but who cares? You ever have someone jump on you while you're laying awkwardly on a table? Or get tossed off of something that's like eight feet high? That shit hurts no matter what.

The end was great. I love how Sasha had all this energy and momentum throughout the thing, but when it came for the big powerbomb revenge spot, her back gave out. There was a ton of great back work in this. Charlotte dropped Sasha on a chair in a side slam and it felt so nasty -- that seems like a relatively safe spot, but just how it was presented was great. As was her normal backbreaker, which already looks very hurty.

Charlotte's an opportunist, just like her dad. Sasha was prone and got her head rammed a bunch into a table and then set up for Charlotte's Natural Selection. The back injury led to Sasha's vulnerability, and The Queen struck and it was insane.

I seriously think this might be my MOTY so far. I haven't been keeping an organized list and I'm sure I've said it about 50,000 times. But this was just an insane, hate-filled brawl with a great story. And, yes, I think the greater context also helps. This was two women wrestling in a HITC match that ended a PPV. So bad-ass. The Women's Revolution happened, and this is where it led to, and I could not be happier.

• Like 4

I'm in the Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Hell in a Cell was a great match group.

Update time:

All:

1. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April. *****

2. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles. WWE Extreme Rules, 22nd May.

3. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte. WWE Hell in a Cell, 30th October.

4. AJ Styles vs. John Cena. WWE SummerSlam, 21st August.

5. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. WWE Battleground, 24th July.

6. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 3rd October.

7. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, 20th August.

8. The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE No Mercy, 9th October.

9. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles. WWE Payback, 1st May.

10. Kota Ibushi vs. Cedrick Alexander. WWE Cruiserweight Classic, 10th August.

• 3 weeks later...

The Revival have rightfully dominated the MOTY list in 2016. Last night's match is the topper. A 

An easy MOTY in a year that sneakily has had a lot of great matches. Best tag match in the WWE since the epic Shield vs. Rhodes Brothers from a few years ago. 

It is high on my MOTD list. Shield/Wyatts, Bayley/Sasha (either one), Revival/DIY and Bryan/Wyatt are my faves. And also the Survivor Series match with Sting's shocking debut.

If this is the Revival's NXT swan song than it truly is Top Guys Out.

• Like 1

I loved the Men's Survivor Series match a ton. They really threw in a lot. I think you have to tip your cap to a match that tries to incorporate so much. Maybe Seth Rollins could have looked better with his pinched but that's a bit nitpick compared to the overall match.

How they were going to get Braun out (unless they wanted to give him an immediate giant push) was the big question for me headed into this. I loved him in this, especially with crazy ass AJ taking an absurdly sick bump. Him going down because of a team-up with Shane making his trademark crazy person dive was great. But loved it even more that even wouldn't take him out for good, so Ellsworth (his first prey) grabbed his foot for the count out. And then Ellsworth got rag-dolled for my enjoyment. Perfect segment.

Also loved KO getting eliminated by using The List, with Jericho bugging out because of that. Great ha-ha spot.

AJ/Dean combusting finally was great, along with the mini Shield reunion. Was hoping to see that.

Of course Roman nearly decapitating Shane stands out.

But the end was magical. Loved the callback to the original Shield vs. Wyatts, with Randy taking the bullet for his newfound leader and Bray standing tall at the end.

Great storytelling throughout. 

Update:

All:

1. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT TakeOver: Toronto, 19th November. *****

2. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April. *****

3. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles. WWE Extreme Rules, 22nd May.

5. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte. WWE Hell in a Cell, 30th October.

6. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. WWE Battleground, 24th July.

7. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 3rd October.

8. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, 20th August.

9. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. WWE WrestleMania XXXII, 3rd April.

10. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles. WWE Payback, 1st May.

Only thing I'm unsure about is the order of the matches from 5-8.

TV:

1. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT TakeOver: Toronto, 19th November. *****

3. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 3rd October.

4. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, 20th August.

5. Kota Ibushi vs. Cedrick Alexander. WWE Cruiserweight Classic, 10th August.

6. James Ellsworth vs. AJ Styles. WWE Smackdown Live, 18th October.

7. Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE Main Event, 12th April.

8. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

9. Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

K10. evin Owens vs. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins vs. Big Cass. WWE RAW, 29th August.

Here I don't whether 3 should be above 4 or reversed.

Charlotte and Sasha have another rematch for the title and it's yet another classic. This is the feud of the year. It's maybe the feud of the decade. Shield-Wyatts was a little more epic but Charlotte and Sasha have absolute amazing chemistry.

Charlotte has become a world-class heel. She has such great timing. She knows when to be insufferably arrogant and how to show ass when it's babyface comeback time. This might have been her best character work yet. She just had such a smug look on her face when she was tossing TVs around to set up that completely insane moonsault.

The end was absolutely inspired. I love how Sasha wins her matches by outsmarting Charlotte. And that Charlotte has absolutely zero counter for the Banks Statement. Charlotte taps out of that even in non-match brawls. It's great she has kryptonite like that.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the best place to post this so please move if it isn't. I have got out of the habit of watching RAW and Smackdown this year and haven't watched. Any of them. I want to catch up on the Network over Christmas and was wondering if some could provide me with recommendations or a list of good matches worth finding from RAW and Smackdown only from the last year. I am up to date with NXT stuff so don't need those.  Thanks in advance!

I need to watch Sami/Nak and Revival/DIY Toronto back to back. One of the two is my WWE/NXT match of the year I'm guessing. AJ/Roman from Extreme Rules is going to be third I'm pretty sure.

• Like 1

From this week's RAW thread:

I looked forward to Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte V in 2016 because of the matches they put on. The Hell in a Cell match strongly divided opinion, I was in the reallly liked it camp. This match...the best yet. The entrance by Banks stripping her entrance attire meaning business, no gown for Charlotte. Both brought the hate/physicality with Sasha using a rail assisted Bank Statement for the win and RAW Women's Championship. One of the best WWE matches this year. Few I'd have above it.

6 hours ago, jm29195 said:

Not sure if this is the best place to post this so please move if it isn't. I have got out of the habit of watching RAW and Smackdown this year and haven't watched. Any of them. I want to catch up on the Network over Christmas and was wondering if some could provide me with recommendations or a list of good matches worth finding from RAW and Smackdown only from the last year. I am up to date with NXT stuff so don't need those.  Thanks in advance!

All the Sasha/Charlotte matches, a KO/AJ match that flew under the radar from back in May, and I really liked the 5-way match from Glasgow a couple weeks back.

Check my post on page 1.

• Like 2

On 29 November 2016 at 11:51 AM, jm29195 said:

All three Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte RAW matches, Ibushi vs. Alexander from the Cruiserweight Classic, Ellsworth vs. AJ Styles on Smackdown Live, 18th October and Owens vs. Ziggler at the Main Event show in April.

• Like 1

Update time.

All:

3. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles. WWE Extreme Rules, 22nd May.

5. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 28th November.

6. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte. WWE Hell in a Cell, 30th October.

7. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. WWE Battleground, 24th July.

8. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 3rd October.

9. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, 20th August.

10. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles. WWE Payback, 1st May.

TV:

3. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 28th November.

4. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 3rd October.

5. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, 20th August.

6. Kota Ibushi vs. Cedrick Alexander. WWE Cruiserweight Classic, 10th August.

7. James Ellsworth vs. AJ Styles. WWE Smackdown Live, 18th October.

8. Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Ziggler. WWE Main Event, 12th April.

9. Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

10. Jason Jordan/Chad Gable vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas, 1st April.

On 30 November 2016 at 3:07 PM, The Natural said:

All three Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte RAW matches, Ibushi vs. Alexander from the Cruiserweight Classic, Ellsworth vs. AJ Styles on Smackdown Live, 18th October and Owens vs. Ziggler at the Main Event show in April.

I'd also recommend Chris Jericho vs. AJ Styles. WWE Smackdown, 11th January. The best of the feud for me.

On 01 December 2016 at 1:25 AM, maciej said:

What a TV week. Sasha/Charlotte and Swann/Kendrick both gonna end up Top 15 or so for sure.

Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte was a great match. Not watched Swann/Kendrick. Looking at your most recent list, I have Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte from the 3rd October RAW in my top ten but not the July 25th match. You have that match above the October match and there's a big difference, #3 to #14.

On 02 November 2016 at 10:33 AM, The Natural said:

For the four big singles Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte matches, I have them in this order.

1. Hell in a Cell.

2. The RAW main event, 3rd October.

3. The first RAW roster only show, 25th July.

4. SummerSlam

Famous five:

1. The RAW no disqualfication, no count out, falls count anywhere main event, 28th November.

2. Hell in a Cell, 30th October.

3. The RAW main event, 3rd October.

4. The first RAW roster only show, 25th July.

5. SummerSlam, 21st August.