DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2016 Hall of Fame

ChesterCopperpot

Godfather is official. I wonder if the Hoes go in with him.

One of his hoes is already in the HOF. Thinking about it, maybe they're going to induct a member of the Bone Street Krew every year to keep Taker happy.

So, Savio goes in next year?

Godfather is so fucking embarrassing for WWE. It's fine. They have a lot of embarrassing things in their history. They make new ones every day. He's sexist, racist, exploitative. He's one of those things that made me hate being a wrestling fan in 1999 when I was 18 and I don't feel any better about it now. Again, it's fine. Just another thing. Except for the fact that they're trotting him out and putting him in the hall of fame. They're glorifying him as a babyface in 2016 and it's hugely counterproductive to almost all of their corporate aims and everything that they try to do in NXT and slowly, increasingly, maybe on the main roster with women. Such a stupid, senseless decision. 

So did Godfather have a more mediocre career or did Koko? What a dreadful class.

The class is two names deep and one of them is Sting.

The Godfather going in confirms the leaked list from a couple of pages ago. I know that it's a worked HoF but the standards should be higher than "he was a good guy and was loyal." Freebirds? Absolutely. Sting? No question. And I can wrap my head around JBL since he was a main eventer for awhile. I wish that there was a wrestling hall of fame that didn't have major flaws. The WWE one is random and loose. The WON hof is marred by the different vote totals per region and the insanely low age eligibility. The one in Texas is loose and too segmented. It's a shame.

Godfather is so fucking embarrassing for WWE. It's fine. They have a lot of embarrassing things in their history. They make new ones every day. He's sexist, racist, exploitative. He's one of those things that made me hate being a wrestling fan in 1999 when I was 18 and I don't feel any better about it now. Again, it's fine. Just another thing. Except for the fact that they're trotting him out and putting him in the hall of fame. They're glorifying him as a babyface in 2016 and it's hugely counterproductive to almost all of their corporate aims and everything that they try to do in NXT and slowly, increasingly, maybe on the main roster with women. Such a stupid, senseless decision. 

They danced around what he did well enough, I mean he was a cartoon pimp, not some guy beating a woman demanding his money, 

Its not like WWE is alone is glorifying pimps. It still happens today. 

I'm not going to begrudge Godfather for being super successful with a seemingly random stupid Vince Russo idea. 

I'm watching 1999 WWF and it is interesting watching Val and Godfather go to the end of the year. Godfather is still really over while Val seemed like a relic of a different time by then. 

So did Godfather have a more mediocre career or did Koko? What a dreadful class.

The class is two names deep and one of them is Sting.

The Godfather going in confirms the leaked list from a couple of pages ago. I know that it's a worked HoF but the standards should be higher than "he was a good guy and was loyal." Freebirds? Absolutely. Sting? No question. And I can wrap my head around JBL since he was a main eventer for awhile. I wish that there was a wrestling hall of fame that didn't have major flaws. The WWE one is random and loose. The WON hof is marred by the different vote totals per region and the insanely low age eligibility. The one in Texas is loose and too segmented. It's a shame.

But on the contrary,it was announced as well as this induction that the APA will be inducting Godfather (which likely means JBL will not be inducted this year.)

This could either mean "the list is false", or more likely "JBL was the second headliner and Bryan's retirement will have him replace JBL on the list", but either way, it seems likely JBL's out.

They danced around what he did well enough, I mean he was a cartoon pimp, not some guy beating a woman demanding his money, 

I'm not going to begrudge Godfather for being super successful with a seemingly random stupid Vince Russo idea. 

I'm watching 1999 WWF and it is interesting watching Val and Godfather go to the end of the year. Godfather is still really over while Val seemed like a relic of a different time by then. 

I'm fine with Charles Wright going in. He's as deserving as any of the other lower-tier guys. It's patently moronic, hypocritical, and frankly icky for them to induct him as the Godfather. I'm not blaming this on Charles Wright. I'm saying the company is in the wrong. "It still happens today" is an unacceptable excuse for anything.

Is it *just* The Godfather going in, or Charles Wight?  If Mr. Wight altogether, he deserves it fr being such a company man that he did not 1, but 3 cringe worthy gimmicks over the course of his WWF employment.

It was announced as "Godfather" but remember, Scott Hall was announced as "Razor Ramon" but went in as Scott Hall.

That being said - I don't think Wright cares/is a big enough name to fight with them about it

But on the contrary,it was announced as well as this induction that the APA will be inducting Godfather (which likely means JBL will not be inducted this year.)

This could either mean "the list is false", or more likely "JBL was the second headliner and Bryan's retirement will have him replace JBL on the list", but either way, it seems likely JBL's out.

Yeah - the leaked list ends up sometimes not being 100% accurate. Like last year - Ray Stevens was on it but then didn't get inducted.

And a couple of years ago Cindy Lauper was on the list but got bumped because they were able to get Trump to agree to it.

I'm fine with Charles Wright going in. He's as deserving as any of the other lower-tier guys. It's patently moronic, hypocritical, and frankly icky for them to induct him as the Godfather. I'm not blaming this on Charles Wright. I'm saying the company is in the wrong. "It still happens today" is an unacceptable excuse for anything.

I also thought it was in bad taste for them to start the segment with one of their Black History Month bits, only to end it with the Godfather getting inducted.

It's Wright going in under his best known and remembered gimmick.

*shrug* It was definitely a gimmick in poor taste, but they are also likely inducting a tag team that decorated themselves in the Confederate flag, so, you know, it gets worse.

• Like 1

It's Wright going in under his best known and remembered gimmick.

*shrug* It was definitely a gimmick in poor taste, but they are also likely inducting a tag team that decorated themselves in the Confederate flag, so, you know, it gets worse.

Well, if we get down to it aren't they about the same?  If you are equating the Confederate Flag with slavery, can't you equate a pimp with slavery too?