DVDVR Message Board

RIP David Bowie

Greggulator

Remember when Bowie hooked up with Trent Reznor and tried his hand at Industrial and it fucking ruled?

I brought this up during the 1990's project in ancient times, but if people haven't heard it they should totally listen to The Lost Highway soundtrack album. What a wonderful, strange album to go with a wonderful, strange film. Trent Reznor, David Bowie, The Smashing Pumpkins, Lou Reed, Rammstein, and a bunch of really fuckin' weird music made just for a David Lynch film. I still have stuff off that soundtrack on my playlist to this day.

• Like 1

True story.  In high school I was at a house party and someone put on a VHS tape with uncut versions of David Bowie videos.

When China Girl came on and the big sex scene hits, this Korean exchange student babe who I had been talking to that night just sat on my lap for no reason and we started making out.  She even put her finger on her lips and went, Shhhhhh..

The mid Eighties were a magical time. God bless David Bowie for ushering in my transition to manhood.

David owned that song so much that at the time, I completely forgot that China Girl is a cover Iggy Pop track that he co-wrote with Iggy.. 

Supposedly it is about Iggy's infatuation with a Vietnamese woman, but knowing Iggy it is probably about cocaine.

• Like 6

True story.  In high school I was at a house party and someone put on a VHS tape with uncut versions of David Bowie videos.

When China Girl came on and the big sex scene hits, this Korean exchange student babe who I had been talking to that night just sat on my lap for no reason and we started making out.  She even put her finger on her lips and went, Shhhhhh..

The mid Eighties were a magical time. God bless David Bowie for ushering in my transition to manhood.

David owned that song so much that at the time, I completely forgot that China Girl is a cover Iggy Pop track that he co-wrote with Iggy.. 

Supposedly it is about Iggy's infatuation with a Vietnamese woman, but knowing Iggy it is probably about cocaine.

Seriously... how is Iggy still alive today, much less ripped to shreds like a triathlete in the best shape of his life?

Seriously... how is Iggy still alive today, much less ripped to shreds like a triathlete in the best shape of his life?

Oh God, that's gonna be another awful day when he goes....

This one hurts, a lot... I've been a Bowie fan since I bought "Hunky Dory" when I was 14. His music has been an important part of both Kathy's (Mrs OSJ) and my lives for our entire time together. Somehow I thought the Thin White Duke would live forever and this hiatus from touring was just a break while he reinvented himself yet again in some amazingly cool way. More than anything else David Bowie showed me that you could make it on your own rules and fuck what society tried to dictate. So, not only thank you for the music, thank you for my life as I've chosen to live it. RIP Mr.Bowie, you will be missed, but never forgotten.

• Like 3

I always thought it was about Western cultural hegemony and our intrusion into developing nations and the girl was purely metaphorical.  Minoring in English has apparently ruined my ability to take things at face value.

RIP to one of the greats.  Yesterday the girl I've been seeing and I drove around listening to Blackstar, talking about how awesome it was and how we hoped he felt up to touring again after all (not realizing, of course, that his retirement coincided with the diagnosis).

I have not seen the Lazarus video yet. I want to, also kind of scared to.

Under Pressure is my favorite song of all time, and I can't claim to be the deepest Bowie fan(I have a greatest hits CD, and outside of the classic radio hits[granted there are a shit load of them],  I find him to be hit or miss, this still REALLY sucks. IF you have someone saying they don't like him at all, you probably don't need to know them. . . .

Far and away my favorite Bowie Duet

James

I'll take Under Pressure over this (or even the Robert Smith "Quicksand" duet) but David Bowie was a great guy to do duets with. I remember when Sinatra released his Duets albums in the early 90s. It felt like Bowie should have been on there. At least we will have this duet and one of my favorite Xmas songs of all time....

I have this song on my bootleg Christmas CD.  Just listened to it on the YouTubes and I am depressed again.

It's a bit interesting that David Bowie died after releasing a single much like he just did over the weekend as Bing did with that. That duet was one of the last songs Bing Crosby put out (David did it because his mother was a huge fan) and Bing died a couple weeks later from a massive heart attack after a game of golf.

In a weird bit, I was watching the Simpsons last night and in the episode they made reference to Bart's new teacher having a cat with two different colored eyes named Bowie.

Not going to say that I was a Bowie superfan but I remember one day going down a rabbit hole of music and realizing that "Wow, I actually know a lot of Bowie songs... and a lot of them are pretty great."

He also was a big influence on the Venture Brothers....

• Like 1

The greatest missed opportunity ever - from the days when TV producers didn't have the 'just film everything' mentality.

Also, Bowie did this with Bolan right before Bolan died in September '77, then a month later did Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby, who died almost immediately thereafter. Which is why the music business had a weird superstition about doing duets with Bowie for a few years (until Freddie did one).

• Like 3

The greatest missed opportunity ever - from the days when TV producers didn't have the 'just film everything' mentality.

Also, Bowie did this with Bolan right before Bolan died in September '77, then a month later did Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby, who died almost immediately thereafter. Which is why the music business had a weird superstition about doing duets with Bowie for a few years (until Freddie did one).

There was a huge boxset of live Eric Clapton that came out a couple years ago from his 74-75 tour because his label had damn near every show recorded because they were certain he was going to die and not going to finish it.

It's amazing to think that from those days Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton, Ozzy Osbourne, and some others have outlived Lemmy, David Bowie and all these others.

Bowie is pretty much the biggest music icon of mine who has passed during my fandom and it came out of the blue ... Zappa was pretty big, but I had time to get ready for that one. I was thinking I would be incredibly depressed, but somehow ... I find myself at peace with it. My wife and I are both really big fans of his, and I find myself just wanting to celebrate his art and his life. I'm going to try to avoid getting all maudlin, just one quick little annecdote that came to mind. A long time ago my now-good-friend-then-girlfriend Jane (she was the girlfriend immediately before I was dating my wife) were together and I had put on The Idiot by Iggy Pop and "Sister Midnight" comes on. Jane's immediate reaction was, "Wait, this is the same song as "Red Money!" " At the time, I was 27 and Jane was 18 and it was the late 90s and I remember being super impressed that Jane recognized a fairly obscure Bowie track from Lodger.

It's amazing to think that from those days Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton, Ozzy Osbourne, and some others have outlived Lemmy, David Bowie and all these others.

Well, both Lemmy and Bowie died of cancer. Cancer is the devil. It absolutely does not give a fuck who it takes away. Fuck Cancer.