DVDVR Message Board

RIP David Bowie

Greggulator

Sad news that people thought was a hoax at first but is starting to look like it's real. I have a bunch of Bowie friends who are superfans. I'm certainly not in that criteria, but the guy made so many awesome songs and committed to panache and character like no other (save for Freddie Mercury, whom he had his legendary duet with in one of the all-time greatest rock singles, and my most karaoke'd song.)

God speed. Ziggy played guitar.

• Like 3

My older brother never spent a day of his life in the closet and he identified greatly with Bowie. As a child in the 70's I heard The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars almost every day. My bro would do the Ziggy make-up every Halloween. This was in the countrified parts of Florida. In the 1970's. Like a lot of music from that era, my appreciation for Bowie would come later, but cheers to the Thin White Duke for helping my brother walk his path in life.

• Like 7

I feel like few musical acts have been able to roll with the times as well as David Bowie. From the cutesie '60s debut album, to the wondrous Ziggy Stardust (Five Years is one of his best songs imo), to the more experimental Low of the late '70s, back to bubble gum pop of the early '80s with stuff like Let's Dance, and while I'm not a huge fan of a lot of his '90s electro stuff I love his rock albums from that period - particularly his song with Reznor. He was a great live show too and that was in the early 2000s. I can't imagine what he must've been like in the '70s. I think Low is his most fascinating album, as it ties a lot of his various stages into one album and some of the songs sound like they could've been recorded 10 years earlier or 20 years later. 

He also made rad movies. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence is something that will stick with me to the day I die. Such a great twist on the usual WWII internment camp movie. Seeing him in his full pomp and glory in Labyrinth is such a treat.

God damn it. Super down about this. Station to Station/Berlin Trilogy are my favorites. Works of art, never to be matched.

It's crazy how we've lost three of the greatest frontmen within the past few weeks. Weiland, Lemmy and now Bowie.

I've been getting into his early work lately while exploring music I hadn't heard in my life and this definitely sucks regardless, but hits me harder than it would have otherwise. Feelings go out to his wife, younger child and his son and what not as well.

"Oh no love you're not alone

No matter what or who you've been 

No matter when or where you've seen

All the knives seem to lacerate your brain

I've had my share, now I'll help you with the pain

YOU'RE NOT ALONE, just turn on with me!

And you're not alone, let's turn on with me!

You're not alone, gimmie your hands!

Cause you're wonderful! Gimmie your hands!"

RIP to one of the the all-time greats.

• Like 1

My older brother never spent a day of his life in the closet and he identified greatly with Bowie. As a child in the 70's I heard The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars almost every day. My bro would do the Ziggy make-up every Halloween. This was in the countrified parts of Florida. In the 1970's. Like a lot of music from that era, my appreciation for Bowie would come later, but cheers to the Thin White Duke for helping my brother walk his path in life.

Great story!

• Like 2