DVDVR Message Board

2015 Them's Fightin' Words Awards: Comeback Fighter of the Year

Elsalvajeloco

2015 Them's Fightin' Words Awards: Comeback Fighter of the Year   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which fighter came back with vengeance in 2015?

• Evan Dunham (XTREME COUTURE/DUNHAM JIU JITSU)
    • Demian Maia (DEMIAN MAIA JIU-JITSU)
    • Dustin Poirier (AMERICAN TOP TEAM)
    • Robert Whittaker (PMA SUPER MARTIAL ARTS)
    • Alistair Overeem (JACKSONWINK MMA)
    • Rose Namajunas (GRUDGE TRAINING CENTER)

The nominees are...

ufc182_03_dunham_damm_015.jpg
Evan Dunham (XTREME COUTURE/DUNHAM JIU JITSU)
Bouts:
W-DEC3 vs. Rodrigo Damm (UFC 182: Jones vs. Cormier, January 3, 2015)
W-DEC3 vs. Ross Pearson (UFC Fight Night 72: Bisping vs. Leites, July 18, 2015)
W-DEC3 vs. Joe Lauzon (The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber, December 11, 2015)

demian-maia-ryan-laflare-ufc-fight-night
Demian Maia (DEMIAN MAIA JIU-JITSU)

Bouts:

W-DEC3 vs. Ryan LaFlare (UFC Fight Night 62: Maia vs. LaFlare, March 21, 2015)

W-SUB2 vs. Neil Magny (UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia, August 1, 2015)

W-DEC3 vs. Gunnar Nelson (UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor, December 12, 2015)

18031688-standard.jpeg
Dustin Poirier (AMERICAN TOP TEAM)

Bouts:

W-KO1 vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira (UFC Fight Night 63: Mendes vs. Lamas, April 4, 2015)

W-TKO1 vs. Yancy Medeiros (UFC Fight Night 68: Boetsch vs. Henderson, June 6, 2015)

whittaker2.jpg

Robert Whittaker (PMA Super Martial Arts)

Bouts:

W-KO1 vs. Brad Tavares (UFC Fight Night 65: Miocic vs. Hunt, May 9, 2015)

W-DEC3 vs. Uriah Hall (UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm, November 14, 2015)

891c9669a4160068479992b5dab69491_crop_no
Alistair Overeem (JACKSONWINK MMA)

Bouts:

W-DEC3 vs. Roy Nelson (UFC 185: Pettis vs. Dos Anjos, March 14, 2015)

W-TKO2 vs. Junior dos Santos (UFC on Fox 14: Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone II, December 19, 2015)

Namajunas_fpf.jpg

Rose Namajunas (GRUDGE TRAINING CENTER)

Bouts:

W-SUB1 vs. Angela Hill (UFC 192: Cormier vs. Gustafsson, October 3, 2015)

W-SUB5 vs. Paige VanZant (UFC Fight Night 80: Namajunas vs. VanZant, December 10, 2015)

2013 Winner: Robbie Lawler - AMERICAN TOP TEAM

2014 Winner: Anthony Johnson - BLACKZILIANS

Award voting will close 1/12 at 6:00 p.m. CST.

Yes, lots of good options but I'm going with Maia. The flawless victory over Nelson would be hard to believe if I didn't see it myself. He's been dominant and looks like a title contender. I'd also say his opposition was the strongest now that JDS is pretty well in full decline (sadly).

• Like 1

I was a little conflicted on whether or not to put Whittaker in the nominees. At first, I was going to go with Brian Ortega who was coming off the drug test failure. Then, I decided he would be a more suitable potential candidate for 2016 and on the strength of the Brandao win building his case. Another name was Nate Diaz, but again, he probably would be a better candidate for this year if he puts the wins together. Daniel Straus was another name, but he had the disappointing title loss and triumphant title win all within the same year. So he would probably be a honorable mention. King Mo would get an honorable mention as well even though I thought he would be a top choice had he won that one night tournament in September.

I thought Whittaker was the better choice because 2015 was his first full year at middleweight, and he had at least two good wins.

Yes, lots of good options but I'm going with Maia. The flawless victory over Nelson would be hard to believe if I didn't see it myself. He's been dominant and looks like a title contender. I'd also say his opposition was the strongest now that JDS is pretty well in full decline (sadly).

this was my thought process as well. i wouldn't be surprised to see him get a title shot in 2016.

I was a little conflicted on whether or not to put Whittaker in the nominees. At first, I was going to go with Brian Ortega who was coming off the drug test failure. Then, I decided he would be a more suitable potential candidate for 2016 and on the strength of the Brandao win building his case. Another name was Nate Diaz, but again, he probably would be a better candidate for this year if he puts the wins together. Daniel Straus was another name, but he had the disappointing title loss and triumphant title win all within the same year. So he would probably be a honorable mention. King Mo would get an honorable mention as well even though I thought he would be a top choice had he won that one night tournament in September.

I thought Whittaker was the better choice because 2015 was his first full year at middleweight, and he had at least two good wins.

Nothing against Rose, but that is the spot where you could have slid Diaz into the vote. At that point, Rose was a test and Nate was an step. Paige flunked and Johnson got shoved downstairs like Richard Widmark was in the Octagon. Shit, I think Nate is more annoying than his brother, but that was a helluva comeback.