DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

This is a dumb argument for a Lucha Underground thread because it has 100% to do with what you think WWE is doing. But explaining that LU is too tiny for WWE to go after but PWG isn't kind of makes it even dumber.

WWE talent and scouts regularly go to PWG shows. PWG has obviously been on their radar for years. LU isn't a place Regal can just show up to and try to sign the talent.

Awesome debut episode. Phil and I are going to be reviewing every episode, just like last season.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/01/lucha-underground-season-2-episode-1.html

I can't decide my favorite moment, but I liked Catrina's new wig, and I liked Dario gaming those guys out of $60. Reminded me of that old State sketch where terrorists hold a bunch of people hostage and demand 150 American dollars. "$21.42 apiece, boys!" Totally bought the Ivelisse nearfall, loved the return to prominence for Cuerno, just a great hour of TV. 

• Like 2

Supposedly producers at today's tapings announced to the locker room that Season 3 has already been greenlighted by El Rey, and the entire series will be on iTunes in a few months. This is taken from Pro Wrestling Sheet, so who knows if it's legit. I sure as fuck hope so. Some people are saying S3 is just a continuation of S2, though, since there's less episodes now? And Meltzer said this week that the finanical situation doesn't look good, but he's confident they're getting S3, but he doesn't know if the "top stars" will still be there.

It's legit. The word about Season 3 had been out for a while - Eric Van Wagenen mentioned the plan to shoot the third season soon after the second season months ago, and Dr. Lucha said the same thing. This was them just making it official.

It's a complete season, in that Season 2 has it's own Ultima Lucha (and so will Season 3). At the same time, they had a pretty good idea they were getting it when they got season 2, so there may be more things which start in season 2 with a plan of a season 3 conclusion.

The Observer specifically mentioned an issue with Rey Mysterio. In the world of LU, he is the top stars.

For me "top stars" means only Rey just like when it was hinted in season 1 it meant just Alberto. I know for a fact at least two other roster members have had no pay issues & one is a top guy on the show, another is a new guy who just showed up this season. It's strange to me they'd make sure to take care of those guys if they were behind on paying Rey but it's possible after Alberto had the same accusations.

I miss real heat, angry crowds thinking they are witnessing heinous crimes against humanity committed by men of unparalleled evil

You know what was the last time I saw that in wrestling? When Pentagon Jr. threatened to break Melissa's arm last season in LU. 

Yep.  Here's what I wrote about it on here at the time:

I loved it too, because of the aspects you noted above, and also because I truly respected the way they met Pentagon Jr's explosive popularity head-on.  The man is a heel and I think it's high time that wrestling heels went back to being people you feared and hated, instead of cool guys you could cheer because you're a rebel.  What Pentagon did was *wrong* and everyone reacted accordingly.

Of course I went right back to cheering Pentagon after that, but honestly it was pity cheers because he had to put Sexy Star over cleanly.

It's no secret the WWE is very much looking to find a new Hispanic star & find a way to connect with the Hispanic audience the way they were during Rey/Eddy's peak & also when Rey was on top with Alberto just coming in. Not to mention the negativity that surrounded the company with the accusations of racism. So in that sense you could see why they'd be worried about LU ever gaining any traction. It's a market that can be very lucrative & the WWE has nobody working for them right now who understands anything about it.

Right now LU is so under the radar it's not a concern but I assure you WWE was paying attention when the Univision talks were at their peak. If LU ever gets on Univision they're an automatic #2 & tons of new eyes are on them. WWE doesn't take that shit lightly. They're fine with every company existing in their own little bubble but if anyone tries to expand WWE pounces. Look no further than when ROH got on DA combined with releasing a Kevin Steen action figure.

Vince is acting like a monopoly and protecting that monopoly.  He is smart in that respect.  He knows the names behind LU and the heft they bring in Hollywood which brings crossover opportunities.

Can someone see Vampiro on a biker/prison/horror show?  An enforcer on Better Call Saul?  The names behind LU can open those doors.  

ROH and TNA do not have those cards to play.

Finally caught the season 2 premiere, ahead of having a rare Wednesday off to catch tomorrow's episode. Absolutely awesome.

LOVED the opening with Vampiro and getting picked up by Striker. Where do we go now, we've been invited back to the Temple. Everything about this was cool as hell. Top notch production continues on all their vignettes. Glad the Vampiro/Striker duo remains.

Fenix/Cuerno was great stuff. Honestly wasn't expecting much from it, thought it was just going to be a routine kind of title defense. But they went all out and got off to one hell of a start. Brutal finish, surprising outcome, good stuff.

Catrina continues to be fantastic in her roles. Was a huge fan of the trios champs last season. Ivelisse is one of my favorite wrestlers and has been for years so I loved seeing her get so much shine. Main event had a big time feel despite being short and having a seemingly obvious outcome. Regardless, the crowd was on fire and Ivelisse rocked it in there while Muertes came off like the man. Loved the Ivelisse rollup near fall, great stuff all around. She's just the best underdog babyface. Exciting ending with so much chaos around. Avoided everything LU for a week, only accidentally catching what the main event was going to be, but the show totally delivered. I had almost forgot going in it was just 1 hour, hell of an hour it was. Perfect follow-up and continuation of last season's super hot finale. Looking forward to the continuation of all the stories.

• Like 1

I've been trying to figure out why Catrina has such an interesting look. After watching episode one again I think I figured it out. She looks like Lady Gaga if Lady Gaga decided to have a Goth phase. But not your usual goth phase. The part of the phase right before she goes into her steampunk phase.

Maybe she'll evolve into Becky Lynch.

This one was notably weaker than last week, but it was still a fine episode by any other show's standards. People are going to complain about the DOD loss, but I'm thinking the angle is Catrina is losing her grip on the temple and that what sets up Dario's return. Maybe next week is damage control for the Muertes gang. 

Liked Mundo/Killshot a lot. Felt like they did a lot in a short amount of time to where it felt like a longer match than it was. Crowd was hot, Killshot looked good and had some excellent spots, great near fall. Mundo still rules. Thought Cage came off like a total star in the post-match, good stuff. Everyone involved came off well.

Amazing intro package for The Darewolf, that got him over very well right out the gate as far as a character and motivation. Love that kind of stuff. Surprising to see him lose but a cool way to always be on the edge, not everything is predictable. Awesome finish too, made sense as he just got caught. Hope PJ has a bright future here, very good addition to the roster.

Fun main event, dug Puma's shooting star dive, and a great ending scene to close. This show rules.