DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I watched this show on the bus on the way to work on my iPad. I let out a loud "fucking hell!" when Cuerno dumped Fenix on his head with that package tombstone and people looked at me strangely. This is that kind of show. It just pulls you in, and you'd be a fool to fight it.

The telenovela segments are just so fucking well done too, I can't get enough of them and they look even better this season. Just the perfect combination of great wrestling and engaging, progressive segments to further the story.

So glad this show is back.

• Like 1

The cool thing about the cowboy Cuerno is it is actually part of the character design from the beginning. All of the characters created for the show specifically have a ring, entrance, and casual attire created for them.

Mil's casual is that sick three piece suit with the purple highlights we saw last season. We have seen Puma's hoodie look with the alternate mask as well in the same confrontation setting up Ultima Lucha. You'll get to see more of this sort of thing with some new characters too

Had to do some heavy Googling to find the info, but apparently the premiere episode only brought in roughly 44,000 viewers. Damn....

Ugh, that's pretty infuriating if it's accurate. I know selling streaming rights is a tricky thing, but I still don't understand why they couldn't put together a DVD set before season 2 premiered. LU needs new viewers to see the product not just hear about it through word of mouth. 

That's the 18-49 number, not the full number. They drew 109K for premiere, 85K for repeat according to the Torch.

That's the highest number they've gotten for the first run episode (they hit 102K a couple times last year) and by far the highest number they've got combined with the repeat thrown in. The repeat was airing a couple hours later last years (with a couple reruns in between) and moving it to right after the first show seems like a very smart move.

I'm sure it also doesn't help that some carriers only have El Rey in the absolute highest tier of their cable/satellite packages.

I loved watching Lucha Underground on Unimas last year and it's a bummer that it appears Unimas won't be picking it up again (weren't the rating supposedly pretty good for the Unimas repeats too?), because I love LU, but I don't love the idea of frigging paying an additional $26/month above what I'm paying now essentially just for El Rey.

I watched on Unimas last year too and I really got used to the Spanish voice overs for some of the characters especially Catrina and Big Ryck. Also at some point Johnny Mundo starting doing his own Spanish voice overs.

Did Unimas ever air pt.2 of Ultima Lucha? It didn't record for me so I had to find a torrent.

The viewership numbers for Unimas were rare, but in the 200/300K range. That's 2-4x El Rey was getting, but appeared to be around average numbers for Unimas and significantly less than they were doing in prime time. Unimas probably isn't hurting much by just reruning an action movie.

Unimas did air the full Ultima Lucha.

Fubo.tv is offering a stream of El Rey for $10/month.

Did you see the street clothes King Cuerno had on as he was leaving? Dude is totally macking. A white cowboy hat on a rudo? John Wayne, fuck your gringo ass! 

I thought the King came out on the short end of the stick too often last season, now it's time for him to shine. We need more arrows straight to the heart (although part of me wishes he'd refer to them as "love letters").

I came here specifically to comment on how Business Casual King Cuerno dresses like a member of a Norteno band.

• Like 1

In the least shocking news, ever, Jim Cornette is not a LU fan...

This f***ing Lucha Underground horse shit. That is the most heinous horse shit that I’ve ever seen in my life. We joked off the air and I said “well I’ll probably like the match, but I wont like the concept of the show because it has writers.” I didnt like nothing. This is more embarrassing than anything I could have dreamed of. Its a TV show. Its a movie. Its not wrestling. Its not a sport. They make no pretence of even attempting to make this shit believable. The production is incredible. It looks like Scorsese directed it. The cinematography is wonderful. It looks like a John Ford western, whatever the f***. I cant say enough about the production. And its another nail in the coffin of wrestling to being taken seriously as a sport or anything that’s not completely predetermined. There’s nobody on the face of the planet that could watch this shit and believe that there is any legitimacy to it whatsoever. It shouldn't be called pro wrestling at all. Its a movie and they’re wrestling in the movie. That’s all it f***ing is. That backstage horse shit that obviously takes multiple takes to shoot something like that. Nobodies believing these people. Its a scripted performance of a movie or a TV show. That’s all that shit is. 

And then, good God. I watched Prince Puma and Felix. I know Lucha is obviously acrobatic. But this was a choreographed f***ing Chinese acrobat Olympic gymnastics tumbling routine. That’s all that f***ing was. And the three-way ladder match is more garbage horse shit hardcore wrestling where they’re beating each other up with furniture that doesn’t work with you and somebody is going to get killed. And just more of this ladder goofiness. And the recap of the year, where there’s Vampiro hitting people with light tubes and thumb tacks on the ground. And John Morrison, I like, he was a OVW guy. I like him as a person. I’m sorry to see him in that atmosphere instead of real wrestling. 

The only way to save this god damn horse shit is if they get everyone in that f***ing Temple who is associated with Lucha Underground and all the tapes of everything they’ve ever shot and put it in the same place and then drop a nuclear f***ing bomb on the whole god damn thing. That would be the best way to treat Lucha Underground if you are a wrestling fan who has any pride in pro wrestling as a performer, as a professional or as a fan, because its more writers happy horse shit making wrestlers phony.

Cornette is a fucking idiot.  The Fenix / Mil Muertes casket match and Prince Puma / Mil Muertes  were my 2015 co-MOTYs.  WWE wishes it had matches that compelling that weren't on NXT.

• Like 1

Remember when people actually valued Cornette's opinion? Those were good times.

I respect his opinion here, and it is consistent with his criticisms of the evolution of the sport in the last few decades.  And I sympathize with his viewpoint - I miss the days when pro-wrestling had that patina of legitimacy, when you could look out in a crowd at a sold-out wrestling show and see nothing but blue collar adults, not sniggering teenagers in on the joke and little kids waving merchandise around.  I miss real heat, angry crowds thinking they are witnessing heinous crimes against humanity committed by men of unparalleled evil, repelled my men of unquestioned gumption - and both groups perfectly happy to smack you without a second thought if you questioned the legitimacy of their occupation.

But I know those days ain't coming back.  You can't put this toothpaste back in the tube.  The sport is not a sport, it is a show, and that ain't changing, ever.  I don't like it, but I acknowledge it.  

And so, if we are going to have to live in the modern era, I find Lucha Underground's approach to be the best take on the post-kayfabe world yet.  I love the vignettes, which even Corny acknowledges as exquisitely done.  And actually I echo his distaste for some aspects of the lucha style, as I have always objected to the overly scripted spots and complicated transitions that require too much waiting around, these things ruin my suspension of disbelief.  I accept this as the price I pay for getting to witness the evolution of the "sport" I've watched since I was a kid.  

LU is the only wrestling I watch, and in its absence I wouldn't watch anything except old events featuring way too many dead wrestlers.  I think that's a net win for pro-wrestling.

• Like 3