DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

17 hours ago, kiguchi said:

I thought Ivelisse was horrible in the match. A far cry from season 1 Ivelisse. I don't think she's fully recovered from her injury. (Admittedly, I have no idea of the actual time lines)

She looked a lot slower than everyone else in-there, I thought she just had limited athleticism.   That said, she's cool and she's over so I can put up with it.

I didn't care too much for the 6-way match. It was a very forced epic with a lot of laying around that should've been cut down, and the layout just wasn't very good. The Fenix/Ivelisse interaction was so stupid. I get the "I'm trying so hard to not punch this woman" gesture is an age-old babyface trope, but it went on so long it just made Ivie look bad because he was basically no-selling her by the end. In the LU context, Fenix at least needed to do some chain wrestling with her. Then he went on to hit Taya later with no regrets, so it didn't even end up being some kind of noble character development. Mundo and Taya did a good job working together and selling the benefits of having an ally in this type of match, which Matt and Vampiro couldn't figure out. Pentagon felt like just another guy, and it was a mistake to pair him off with Fenix for the finishing run, although that top-rope destroyer into a package piledriver was a delightfully indy-tastic spot. Having Pentagon overcome Mundo and Taya in decisive fashion would have highlighted his new badass face character better than going 50/50 (in terms of action and crowd reaction) with Fenix, a Fenix elim by Mundo/Taya would've added heat to the likely trios title match, and those two outlasting guys like Cuerno and Fenix subtly establishes Johnny as a high-tier threat with Taya around even if he takes the fall here. There was so much more they could've done with this match, and the action wasn't good enough to think about forgiving that.

Hopefully Pentagon/Matanza becomes a Cero Miedo match.

12 hours ago, Jamal said:

Nice to see the return of The Mariposa. I dug the women's tag. All four are some of my favorites in the promotion. Taya, especially, has been a great fit. 

Agreed. I dig Mariposa here more than I do her work elsewhere, love Ivelisse & Sexy Star and have become a big fan of Taya here as well. They've all done some very good work and this was a fun tag. I hope Ivelisse vs. Taya is added to Ultima Lucha

Also real solid ending segment to set up Puma/Rey, straightforward and to the point but good stuff from both guys. "But... you're still a Prince, and I... am El Rey."

• Like 3

Once Puma started talking about his plans for Ultima Lucha we were buzzing with excitement.  Puma vs. a rejuvenated Rey Mysterio is going to be an amazing match.  And I'm cool with Moth/Killshot being in the medallion match, but the way they were going I would have loved a singles match for the show instead.  Dog tags on a pole match, anybody?

I am almost caught up with the show. I just finished the six way match episode and I enjoyed the hell out of that match. Pentagon vs. Matanza is going to be so much fun. I'm so glad LU is the one show I don't read spoilers for (though I know who the champion is into next season...I just don't know how, which I can live with).

Mundo and Taya are a such a fun heel couple. I can't imagine if Mundo and Melina were still together this working because one I don't think Melina would take a tenth the beating Taya is willing to take. Striker floating the idea it could come down to her and Matanza was hilarious and asking what that would be like and Vampiro's deadpan "it would be perverted" was just perfect.

Mil vs. Cuerno is going to be a fun match. Mil looks a thousand times more scary with those blood red eyes. I'm surprised they didn't have him get a new mask and tights to match them.

But man the ending of the match with it just going on and on with Pentagon and Fenix. I mean it was obvious Pentagon had to win, but still it was a hell of a match none the less. Can't wait to see him try to break Matanza's arm.

Ultima Lucha 3 had a taping that was the best show top to bottom I've seen as 30 years as a wrestling fan as far as hitting everything *I* look for in wrestling.  Then it damn near topped it the next night.

You guys will give it high marks.  Maybe not as high as I did, but it's legit how I feel about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Ultima Lucha 3 had a taping that was the best show top to bottom I've seen as 30 years as a wrestling fan as far as hitting everything *I* look for in wrestling.  Then it damn near topped it the next night.

You guys will give it high marks.  Maybe not as high as I did, but it's legit how I feel about it.

The last time something was built up this much Rockabilly ended up gracing my television screen.  :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peck said:

The last time something was built up this much Rockabilly ended up gracing my television screen.  :)

Billy Gunn still sucks.

But if he can get brought in just to have Pentagon Jr. break his arm, I'd be ok with him getting a paycheck for it.

Your friends posted a picture of you on instagram where you look like the most happiest person who has ever existed.

I'm very sad we're almost at Ultima Lucha 2 which means a couple months without any new LU. But I'm also super hyped for Ultima Lucha 2 with Rey vs Puma...

53 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Prince Puma vs Dragon Azteca Jr was awesome!

FUCK YES it was. Flat-out awesome face vs. face match in the LU style, with Puma resorting to the death blows to keep Azteca down. That was superb. 

You gotta love Fenix's Ode to Kobashi finishing with the total "fuck you" overhand chop. Overall they had a great match with both guys getting chippy and laying it in. The six-man should be the shit. 

On our podcast (which you can link to at @mmmshow75 on twitter) we have a bit of a scoop this week that we had to clear with the company before talking about it.  So enjoy our guest Kevin Kross, rumored to be part of the Lucha Underground roster - or is he?

I also talk about being really close to winning the DDT Iron Man Heavymetalweight Championship

More good stuff this week with Puma/Dragon and Fenix/Mundo. Ultima Lucha is looking real stacked and awesome. Looking forward to Ivelisse/Taya. This season has felt like it flew by much quicker than season 1 even though I jumped in to season 1 closer to halfway through.

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

This season has felt like it flew by much quicker than season 1 even though I jumped in to season 1 closer to halfway through.

That's because this season is like 15 episodes shorter. Having lots of title changes probably also contributed.

• Like 1