DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, thecubsfan said:

She broke her ankle in S1, she broke two bones in her foot in S3.

I totally forgot she got hurt on Tough Enough too until trying to figure this out.

Thanks for this. I wonder if she's out for the rest of the season.

Remember she does have a match with Catrina already set up for Ultima Lucha 3.

For people who set up Lucha Underground Week to Week on the DVR set up a Series settings because I think I stumbled on a spoiler with the name of the episode after Aztec Warfare 3 when I just set it to record on 11/23.

• Like 1

It seemed weird that Ivellise would challenge Catrina on the first episode of a 40-show season to a match on the last episode. I wonder if they were able to somehow rearrange some footage to make it look like Ivellise is around by the end of the season, or if they just had to shelf the already ridiculously off-and-on feud once more.

• Like 1

I'm trying to catch up again so I'm only two episodes behind. Just watched the one earlier with Mundo vs. Sexy Star. It's a shame the WWE cant/wont do an intergender angle because Mundo vs. Sasha Banks in this same exact feud with the World Wide Undeground might be off the charts amazing. Mundo is such an amazing prick and Evans and Black are the perfect flunkies for him. Perhaps in some alternate universe had he gotten his shit together, it would be Teddy Hart and not Johnny Mundo in the middle of all this.

I also love Vampiro trying to lure Puma to the dark side. We all know why it is. He wants Puma to fight Pentagon for him because the poor guy doesn't want to leave Ultimo Lucha once again on a stretcher...though he probably will.

And I didn't realize that Sami Callihan was Ivelisse's new BF or whatever on the show until he ran into the ring. I love how he's all "oh sorry babe, didn't realize your match was right now"

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

It seemed weird that Ivellise would challenge Catrina on the first episode of a 40-show season to a match on the last episode. I wonder if they were able to somehow rearrange some footage to make it look like Ivellise is around by the end of the season, or if they just had to shelf the already ridiculously off-and-on feud once more.

Remember some things were shot out of order thus why Evans can talk one week then can't the next.

Unlike when Sexy Star won the Gift of Gods title and I broke my twitter ranting about it, there's not much to say here. It was dumb. She's awful both inside and outside the ring. She slept her way into the business, she slept her way to the top of the business, she routinely badmouths every female she's ever worked with, she once willingly participated in a match where she got stripped naked in a very rape-like scene just to get publicity for herself... need I go on? I'm not a female so I shouldn't speak for one but I'd like to think if my little sister was a wrestling fan and wanted a woman to look up to, she could find many role models more suitable than Dulce Garcia.

My favorite thing on the show was the promotion being so worried about the live reaction they hired 4 women to sit front row together and stage tearful happy reactions.

Other than just throwing my arms up and typing LOL there isn't much else to say about the match itself. Way too much comedy, especially in the second half, but if the entire deal is gonna turn into a joke at the end you may as well just go with it.

Huh, so many crowd close-ups at the end there, but I didn't see tromataker anywhere, I wonder why. ;)

I actually thought this was a pretty fun episode. I avoid the spoilers, so I'm just gonna assume this title reign won't last forever.

• Like 1

In a time-honored tradition, my wife and I pick numbers for Royal Rumble and similar match styles like this one.  She picked 18 and I picked 12.  I groaned when it was Sexy Star and she got Mil Muertes.  I was quite jealous and then realized there was a spoiler that had people going "What the fuck?!"  It dawned on me this is the spoiler they were talking about and I just facepalmed the rest of the match.  I've never been so annoyed to win a Rumble-style pick until last night.  I would have gone with literally any other female winning the title (okay, maybe not Kobra) and it just annoys me that she's got the title.

And this is all before reading Robert's post.  I didn't even know about all that, but that just cements the "Fuck Sexy Star" mentality I have right now.  I'm not even mad, just annoyed about it all.

That said, it was a fun match that while not nearly as good as last year it served its purpose.  I don't know the connection between the Black Lotus Tribe and Pentagon Dark, but I sure liked seeing them on TV and want to know more.  I was expecting the Rabbit Tribe would have debuted in some capacity, but I guess that'll be for another time.

Sexy STAR!! I enjoyed the episode and thought it was a very fun match all the way through even if it was tough to see Matanza finally lose. Great triumphant hero victory. I hate that this was the one thing to ever have spoiled since sites all over couldn't stop making references to a shocking happening taking place when usually nothing like that ever came up. Going in to the season I only knew a woman would win the title cause of that, then later further spoiled through random browsings. Regardless, I dig it and look forward to what comes next. Sexy rules

Allegedly sleeping one's way to the top of the pro wrestling business?

Involved in a tasteless angle?

Not speaking kindly of locker room rivals?

Not giving 5 snowflake matches across the board?

Reads to me like 10 or 15 years from now,  Sexy Star can say "hey let's do a King of the Ring but with Cruiserweights we don't have under contract yet" and get fruit baskets for months.

~~~

Ok seriously though, beyond the Star survives 100 moves but Kobra and Mairposa each get beat after 1 or 2 situation, I do have a couple of questions.

1. Any chance Ivelisse would've won had she not been injured, or was the winner seen decided on weeks or months in advance?

2. Why does a 619 hurt Matanza? Is it really some weakening body Ascension and Descension storyline jazz? Guy's got more padding on his face than Roman Reigns has on his chest.

• Like 1

I was searching for info regarding season 4 and I saw something about the show hemorrhaging money and there being serious doubts about season 4. Does anybody know anything about that? :(

The article is from February though. 

Ivelisse is probably getting a pin back over Marty if she's in this match, but it's hard to imagine her winning - the mixed tag feud they were setting up doesn't make sense for a title. Sexy Star/Johnny Mundo for the main title feels like it's got 11 weeks of build for it.

Lucha Underground's never made money, does not appear to be a profitable business, but their (multiple/shared) owners have seemed OK continuing to invest in it. Someone could always wake up tomorrow and decide they don't want to keep trying, but everyone involved in the show is acting and talking like Season 4 is a given. (Still, we don't know when that would start taping - they've hinted at January, but haven't locked in dates and I'm sure half their roster has indie bookings in January already.)

• Like 2

That was easily the worst Aztec Warfare even adjusting for Sexy Star winning. There wasn't much excitement, too many jobbers, Matanza's first loss felt anticlimactic, there was that ridiculous sound effect they used for kicks about 100 times, stuff that should've been cool (Black Lotus and Angelico returns) were lost in the shuffle, and nobody came out of the match looking better than they did going in. Pentagon could've gotten some of the eliminations that Mack or WWU got before he went out, and Mil looked like an idiot against Sexy. Doing the "get hurt by a weapon you introduce" cliche three times, really? Add in Sexy winning, and you're probably looking at a bottom 5 LU multi-person match.

Sexy can't lose that belt fast enough.

5 hours ago, CanadianChris said:

What's this about?  Was it Season 1?

It was a match in the Perros Del Mal promotion circa 2011 (or 2012?). She had a match with Lolita where the loser is the first person to get stripped naked. It was very rapey.

Would this have worked better?

The match between the Trios Champs, Winner gets #20, Loser gets no number, Odd Man Out gets stuck with #2.

Then the Famous B vs. Sagrada match is listed as winner gets in Warfare, loser is out.

And then Dario gives the #2 spot to Mundo, and Aerostar pops in at number 12.