DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Houston show was a blast, though not without some issues. The most glaring was that it was broken in to two shows with ~90 minutes in between, and so the crowd was a little out of it for round two.

I've never been to NXT in Houston, but this crowd was definitely more in that vein. Waaayyyy different than the normal Southern 'rasslin' crowds I see at WWE and ROW events, although still a very family oriented crowd. It took place in this massive, massive flea market in north Houston. It was 90 degrees outside, and kinda warm in the building.

The show was in the TV timeline, so there weren't any spoilers.

For the first show, everyone was a little confused about seating, so it was easy for the wife and I to grab a seat in the second row chairs. Lot of super fun crowd interaction.

Card for the first show was London/Marty, Garza/Mack, Drago/Mundo in a nunchuk match. Paul London's Alice in Wonderland entrance took forever but was tons of fun. Marty took some sick bumps on the concrete. Willie Mack was super over but Garza nearly won the crowd, and Drago was most over of all. Mundo probably worked the crowd better than anyone of the night. Taya took an absolutely disgusting nunchuk shot from Drago, which I've seen this pic of online:

14925713_10210847316281639_5974621911780

Second card was Cage/Matanza, Joey Ryan/Taya/Ivelisse/Saltador, Pentagon/Muertes. Last match was definitely the best, and ended for Pentagon with Vampiro interference. Most of the rest of the time, though, Vamp was sitting in the corner looking like he was focus grouping the crowd. Also, Melissa Santos is TINY, and Johnny Mundo is great at plugging Cricket Wireless. Show was a blast and it was cool to see such world class talent in such a small, intimate space.

Anyway, here's some crappy phone pics I took of the first show, just to give an idea of the layout and the guy in front of me's shoulder:

Spoiler

20161030_115328_zpsyedjc4zy.jpg

20161030_115338_zpsp7xq4skw.jpg

20161030_123842_zpsszjtdfkm.jpg    

20161030_123614_zpsfxyab8ex.jpg          

20161030_124704_zpsusxrxcoq.jpg 

20161030_125839_zpsqrcaj7rp.jpg    

20161030_130247_zpsn7jf7oup.jpg    

20161030_130618_zpsvddzmqco.jpg     

20161030_131108_zpsa2pehfy9.jpg     

20161030_131234_zpsdfdpvapm.jpg   

20161030_131248_zpsw56hspzp.jpg

• Like 4

Chanting "lucha legends" at Rey & Chavo was such a disgrace and hilariously enough Chavo promptly fucked up a simple lucha spot seconds later. Not to mention blowing taking the headscissors late to set up the 619. The Eddy tribute spots were such cheap heat too. Whatever. Rey worked his ass off to salvage it but the match wasn't so hot and the Chavo Sr. interference was entirely predictable and silly. Nobody bought Rey lost & him just accepting it and walking off immediatly was weird (probably heavily edited).

Havoc vs Wagner was a good match but it's hard to take any of this seriously when it's a set up to Mascarita vs Famous B.

The Puma/Muertes confrontation was basically a copy of the set up to their title match before Ultima Lucha I but came off well. Although giving that segment < 2 minutes when all that time was spent on Mascarita's angle is perplexing. Next week's match should be killer, those guys work so great together.

Matanza killing people is always fun.

Not what I would call a good show by any means.

34 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

The Mascarita vs Famous B thing being setup gets pretty awesome but I'm really biased

If you had your way I can only imagine what weapon you would bring in.

I enjoyed the show.  I liked how Dario had Cortez destroyed again (that sound of the "arm break" was sickening), it was just a fun squash.  I like how Dario calls him a rat and the announcers sound confused.  I get why calling them "Lucha legends" was a disgrace, but past that they did their best to make it as important as possible.  I understand why they didn't show it but wish they aired Rey and Chavo post-match.

Those Eddie spots are cheap heat obviously, but I think the way he does them where they look about 60% as good as they would with Eddie kind of works really well for Chavo's character (intentional or not). I might be in the minority on this but I really liked the match (I liked the Chavo/Cage match from last season more than most too, I think). It definitely wasn't the most unpredictable and Rey did most of the heavy lifting for sure, but Chavo's character work and selling were effective too.

• Like 1

Making the Temple a Chavo Free Workplace is a step in the right direction and that act alone marks that episode as one of the best of the season.

Also, I don't think the Rabbit Tribe quite understands what the word SOON means.

It was messed up on Comcast too and I think I saw people mentioning it was messed up elsewhere. Looked like an issue with the network itself rather than the show or the cable companies.

My hunch is whatever substances London and the Rabbit Tribe are on have distorted their perception of time.

Dario was the MVP of this show. The way he set up the Castro beatdown and laughed about it afterwards was pure evil, but the way he ripped Marty Elias for that stupid fake finish in a way that every fan was thinking was very endearing. Such a wonderfully complex character.

Hopefully the Chavo thing sticks, you know how retirement angles go.

I'm also digging Vampiro turning Puma to the dark side more than I thought I would.

I also liked Striker saying Grave Consequences is Mil's specialty even though he's lost both of them so far.

That episode was peak Lucha Underground. Especially the main event.

Opener was so absurd but in such a great way. If you're gonna go the absurd route, you gotta go all out absurd and they certainly did that. Wagner taking part in all this shows you how desperate he is to get U.S. exposure because no way he's doing any of this in Mexico. Match was clearly heavily edited to take out all the awkwardness of setting stuff up but worked perfect for a TV presentation.

Daga being dead would certainly explain his disappearing although I'm not sure if you can trust a snake woman. I won't add him to the deceased list just yet.

10 person tag was INSANE! So many great spots crammed into such a short time. Ivelisse's rana counter was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick! Imagine the alternate LU reality where Joey/Candace accept their initial offer & they are doing the biker gimmick while Ivelisse gets put into the Sexy Star role. I am so excited for the AR Fox/Killshot eventual match. You know those two are gonna destroy each other in some wacky stip match.

What can you say about that main event? Tremendous match. Puma attacking right away and then doing that out of control plancha was the best! Muertes is absolutely perfect for these type of matches. Easy MOTYC for me.

A 10/10 episode in my book. I am definitely going to re-watch this before and maybe even again after next week's episode just to remind myself how awesome Lucha Underground can be when they are focused on the right things that make the promotion so refreshing.

• Like 1

Rob already knows but that was me with the football pads and helmet for the dickspear spot.

I'll probably talk about the Vampiro "don't fuck this up for everyone!" speech before the match on the podcast this week if I'm on it - having scheduling issues for a lot of the foreseeable future.  But if I do it I'll do my Canadian impression don't worry

• Like 4

I really, really, REALLY needed that Believer's Backlash match yesterday.  Being in a state of shock/depression, that was just the medicine I needed to feel just fine.  Great stuff, loved the shoulder pads/helmet a ton.  We laughed so hard at it all, and the bowling ball spot was tremendous with the sound effects and everything.  Famous B, Mascarita, Son of Havoc, Brenda and Dr. Wagner Jr all deserve the proverbial fruit basket for that one.

After a super fun 10-person match they have that insane Grave Consequences match.  I love that Puma had Muertes beat at one point but still wanted to hurt him some more.  Striker held his own and I was really loving Vampiro digging the match so much.  The episode as a whole is easily one of my all-time favorites.  They got their groove back just in time for Aztec Warfare 3.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Rob already knows but that was me with the football pads and helmet for the dickspear spot.

I'll probably talk about the Vampiro "don't fuck this up for everyone!" speech before the match on the podcast this week if I'm on it - having scheduling issues for a lot of the foreseeable future.  But if I do it I'll do my Canadian impression don't worry

I speak for all Canadians when I say we remain very worried.

• Like 1

AR Fox and Sami Callihan are perfect fits for the LU style. Guess I need to get used to calling them Dante and Jeremiah.

The way Ivellise reacted to her injury was heart-breaking. That was the best she had looked in the ring in a while too. :(

Yeah, Puma and Mil. LU's two best workers in LU's best gimmick. No surprise it was awesome. I'm glad Mil finally won one of these, since he was approaching "Kane inferno match" territory. I guess Vampiro digs up Puma's body and completes his transition to the dark side (then uses him to go after Pentagon maybe?)

Great episode, even with Matt Striker's god-awful commentary.