DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

LU talent knows their first priority is any LU show & these dates were known of a while ago. (Some people have exceptions like Ricochet for example)

Nobody has responsibilities to AAA these days. Their spot shows are whoever is available, no consideration to who is advertised.

Touring is not a money winning proposition.  Between hiring a crew, paying talent, hotel and travel expenses you only go if you make money at their size.  Unless you have a sponsored show or are guaranteed to make money you do not tour.  

Talent travels all over North and Latin America.  They are not just doing shows for AAA but AAA is very important since being with AAA means a chance to be on LU.  You don't screw AAA because you hurt your chances at their new downstream product.

LU's problem right now is not touring.  The problem is a lack of cable exposure to homes in the US, Latin America, and Canada.

1) They're all sold shows so none of that stuff matters

2) Fuck AAA, seriously.  They deserve to be fucked over as much as possible.

3) They just added a shitload of cable providers but I don't know how that helps numbers wise because it isn't reflected in the ratings yet.

5 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Touring is not a money winning proposition.  Between hiring a crew, paying talent, hotel and travel expenses you only go if you make money at their size.  Unless you have a sponsored show or are guaranteed to make money you do not tour.  

Talent travels all over North and Latin America.  They are not just doing shows for AAA but AAA is very important since being with AAA means a chance to be on LU.  You don't screw AAA because you hurt your chances at their new downstream product.

LU's problem right now is not touring.  The problem is a lack of cable exposure to homes in the US, Latin America, and Canada.

Do you have any facts to back up your theory that if you screw AAA it'll effect your standing in LU? Let me present the other side...

Sexy Star left AAA on very messy terms, AAA tried to get LU to stop booking her, Sexy Star is still employed by LU & in fact goes over AAA talent on future episodes.

Jack Evans is currently not working any AAA shows & may or may not be on his way out, he is still employed by LU & working the upcoming house shows.

Fenix quit AAA, is still employed by LU & has openly stated they said he could leave AAA with no LU ramifications.

Pentagon Jr. has told AAA his US bookings take priority leading to him missing many AAA major shows including Heroes Inmortales, he's still one of LU's top stars with no plans of that changing.

PJ Black asked LU if he could work ELITE (AAA's opposition in Mexico) at Arena Mexico, LU said they didn't care. Dorian Roldan went on twitter and posted LOL emoticons when PJ said he was working the ELITE shows, told the media it wouldn't it happen. PJ worked the shows & LU tapings afterwards without issue.

I could go on but I'll stop here and let you explain to all of us where exactly screwing AAA has negatively effected anyone in this "partnership".

You're also wrong about the cable thing when it comes to Canada beacuse they have a prime time slot on a non-pay TV channel here. The show is still in season 2 but will be all caught up by the time season 4 begins & ratings are apparently excellent which is why they got moved to the good time slot.

• Like 4

That was easily the best episode of the season.

I think that was the best match for both Matanza and Killshot for their entire LU tenure. Matanza looked dominant and Killshot strung together a fun comeback that didn't make Matanza look weak. Loved the finger-bending escape, then that huge headbutt to the jaw for a cutoff spot. Then the mystery guy from Killshot's past was freaking AR Fox. How cool is that?

The triple threat was decent, if not a bit overkill-ish. The broken nose on Fenix gave the match some extra energy.

Puma/Mil was great as expected. Not as good as the S1 finale, but still really strong. It'll be interesting to see where each guy goes from here.

I'll be so happy if Rey can beat Chavo in retirement match.

I was hoping we were gonna string together some good shows leading into Aztec Warfare but tmrw's lineup has...

Sexy Star vs Johnny Mundo

Marty The Moth vs Ivelisse

Cage vs Texano

My stomach hurts. :/

Cage/Texano might be okay but the first two matches were very underwhelming. I don't see the need for two intergender matches on the same show at all. Baffling.

Having Star vs. Mundo makes sense because of Johnny's Quest to be the Champion. He needs that GOTG title.

Having Ivelisse vs. Marty makes sense because they don't have enough women on the roster yet they want to have Ivelisse on the show regularly.

The last match you listed will be just fine if Cage gets to be Diesel and Texano gets to be Backlund.

14 hours ago, Robert said:

I was hoping we were gonna string together some good shows leading into Aztec Warfare but tmrw's lineup has...

Sexy Star vs Johnny Mundo

Marty The Moth vs Ivelisse

Cage vs Texano

My stomach hurts. :/

Cage/Texano might be okay but the first two matches were very underwhelming. I don't see the need for two intergender matches on the same show at all. Baffling.

Hopefully the vignettes will be good at least.  Only match I'd be slightly interested in is Moth/Ivelisse.

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There's a lot of build and purpose to Star vs Mundo at least. On the other hand, Moth vs Ivelisse could be pretty entertaining so long as you value things other than traditional star rating metrics. 

I agree Star vs. Mundo has a point, but while I like Mundo I just can't get into Sexy Star matches.  The one against Jack was pretty good, but I give full credit to Jack on that one.  At least with Marty I love his character a ton and Ivelisse is aces in my book.

That main event was awful. Mundo having to physically put Sexy Star into the position he wanted her multiple times was eye rolling. I noticed Sexy Star even tried her cheap heat scream "FUCK YOU" tactic and they didn't bring her audio up this time for the cheap pop.

I find it humorous they've stopped allowing her to speak English.

I wonder what "host body" means? Dario gonna get killed and take on a new form? Maybe that mystery super boss can take on any form?

Looking forward to the Paul London led group & Sami vs Marty could be fun.

Texano/Cage had their best match yet but still I'm annoyed we're getting another one or maybe even two more. I was amused when Striker said it was a battle of 300 pounders. Texano probably barely hits 210. Might as well start saying Matanza is a 7 foot monster if we're exaggerating that much.

Sexy Star had a moment or two, but holy fuck she sucks.  I felt bad for Mundo who had to try and get a good match out of this.  There was a neckbreaker he did where she mistimed falling down.  That was just groan-inducing.  At least Mundo won.  I did like Marty/Ivelisse.  He was extra sleazy but she was game for beating him up in response.  The interaction with Melissa was interesting in that at some point she has to say "Fuck this" and have somebody come in to take him out.  But for now Ivelisse/Sami vs. Marty/Mariposa sounds all kinds of fun.

And I'm super intrigued with the host body video for Dario.  If Matanza is the host then I can only imagine who will be the new host body.  This is super, super cool stuff.

Damn, I skipped last week and apparently it was awesome, and then saw last night with the Sexy Star/Mundo thing and...ugh. Fun show otherwise. Marty's so gross.

Going to the Houston show Sunday. Not looking forward to how hungover I'll be getting up early the night after Halloween parties to make sure I get in, but it should still be a blast.

• Like 1

Dario's plan is the winner of the Texano/Cage Best of 5 is the host body. That's why he talked about having two strong candidates and that it might be decided tonight (Cage could've won the Best of 5.) It's their Ultimate Opportunity prize, though it may not be one they'd want.

2 hours ago, bink_winkleman said:

Going to the Houston show Sunday. Not looking forward to how hungover I'll be getting up early the night after Halloween parties to make sure I get in, but it should still be a blast.

Please post pictures, curious to see how the show does.  I'm just glad they finally did some sort of promotion last night, and this time it says Lucha Underground and not some other wacky name.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I didn't recognize the guy in the white top hat during the Rabbit Tribe vignette. Who was he? 

12 hours ago, Robert said:

Looking forward to the Paul London led group

• Like 1

No way the winner of the Tejano/Cage song that never ends gets to be the new host body.  Someone will sneak in during the ascension ceremony and we'll wind up with either the Ultimate Daga or Super Kobra Moon.

I thought the main event was wild and fun, but I'm one of the few Sexy Star fans. The Mack's interference was great, stunners for everyone along with nearby fans reactions to it. Good to see he still had Sexy's back. Sexy following up with the chairshot was an amazing near fall, loved that. Great heel performance by Mundo, cheating to win after all that.

I didn't get the vibe that the "host body" was supposed to replace Matanza, I thought they were just supposed to host whatever supernatural essence was in that box. Although if Cage became the new Matanza, that would be awesome because he should've been cast as Matanza from the beginning.

• Like 1