DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I always wondered how they did the Dial of Doom live. I figured they just kept spinning until it landed where they wanted or ignored where it landed live, shot the scene as usual & then inserted a close-up clip of it landing on the right person later. You guys won't get in trouble for revealing stuff like this?

I hope not, I don't see why we would if we didn't give away anything in the future.

If we do its Justin's fault for telling me to tell it before the show, but I think the only people paying attention are the ones who would be cool with it.

Good for Rey that he found whatever Super Saiyaneqsue support that lets him still pull off MOVEZ in 2016, but there's no need for him vs. Chavo to feud ever again in any promotion or lifetime.

Best part of the show was Ivelisse insisting that she'd be the designated driver.

On October 10, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Tromatagon said:

I thought he was already boycotting it based on the timeliness of the Segunda Caida reviews

Yeah Phil lost interest about 2/3 the way through Season 2 and I doubt he'll be coming back. Matt and I have still been reviewing it though. Matt made the good point recently to me that Phil/me/Matt are very left/center/right in how we watch LU. Phil watched for wrestling and tolerated the bullshit (until the wrestling wasn't good enough to tolerate the bullshit); I watch for the wrestling and enjoy the bullshit when it's done well; Matt watches for the bullshit and the story and the character consistencies. 

...What the fuck was going on in page 42?

There are people I want to see work(Rey Mysterio, Dragon Azteca, Jack Evans, Cage, Prince Puma, Mil Muertes, Matanza on a good night, King Cuerno, Pentagon sans Pentagon Dark gimmick, Fenix, Son of Havoc, The Mack,  Marty)

There are people who I am cool with that I am cool with but am honestly okay if I did not see them(Killshot and Famous B)

There are people who I am completely ambivalent to(everyone else).

Then there are people I want off my TV screen so fucking fast(Chavo and Sexy Star, the lady with Famous B).

This third season has been weird for me. like, I love watching Puma work and love watching Rey. Mil is fun, but this season is starting off kind of slow. And not like the second season slow, but it feels lost with character motivations which was a strong point in the show.

Also, I am self-admittedly far-left and boycotting a show no one really watches outside of a few impartial wrestling fans is not going to help anybody.  A lot of parties refuse to eat that $300,000 fine that comes with releasing each tape. Trump has already been Cosby'ed and while I empathize with your friend, @Ace and suspect your reason for wanting them unleashed to be less political and I also appreciate your passion, @Phil Schneider, there are more effective tactics to pursue. I am not trying to patronize or call it a "social justice crusade(because if it was a different age, those same people would call the Civil Rights Era one as well)." Dude is a sexual predator and needs to be Cosby'd, but this tactic is only hurting people who have nothing to gain but everything to lose.

There is a GoFundMe that is trying to release the tapes while covering the penalty.

Now that is over....wrassling!

1 hour ago, EricR said:

Also, I'm starting to think Sexy Star might not be that good

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/10/lucha-underground-season-3-episode-4.html

When you come around on Pierroth too, let me know.

Honestly... until this season LU never felt skippable to me. I had to watch it right away and there was always something to talk about. This season, aside from the first episode due to hype, I have never felt that way. This past week with NHL opening night + baseball playoffs + real life stuff I didn't even get to LU until the next day for the first time ever.

Every episode seems to have a lot of filler which may be due to them extending the season to hit 40 episodes so a lot of stuff is being inserted just to stretch things out. In previous seasons every week or two either had a match you had to see because it was so good or some sort of spectacle. This season has really only had one spectacle (Marty/Killshot) & one standout match (Puma/Matanza... which was still not on the level of previous seasons). If you're watching just for the match quality I can easily see why you would have checked out already. There's much better stuff out there.

They are focusing stuff around Chavo, Sexy Star, Marty & midget comedy... all stuff that turns a lot of people off no matter if you try to spice it up by involving Rey, the trios champs or Wagner. If you have a 2 hour show, spending time on that stuff is acceptable because you have time to fill. When you are consciously choosing to fill a 44 minute show with those acts, it makes me question the decision making. Those acts are not why people got into Lucha Underground & I would think that'd have been known when Season 3 started filming.

I'm sure things will pick up soon enough so I'm not too concerned but I'm also not gonna play happy camper and pretend like this season has started off in a direction I enjoy. And we still have a really rough bump coming up...

I think we're 2-3 weeks away from the producers losing their mind on twitter when people dare criticize what's coming with Sexy Star...

57 minutes ago, Robert said:

When you come around on Pierroth too, let me know.

Reveal hidden contents

I think we're 2-3 weeks away from the producers losing their mind on twitter when people dare criticize what's coming with Sexy Star...

I will say that I'm selective in the Pierroth matches I review. I don't waste time writing up ones I dislike. And I like him most when he's a cog instead of a focal point. Like in the Rush/Pierroth vs. LA Park/Hijo Park match, Pierroth had to work 80% of that match, and gassed hard after a couple minutes. That stunk. But Pierroth in his best stuff is much better than Sexy Star at her best. Pierroth at his worst is as bad as Sexy Star at her worst.

I agree with you about the immediacy of getting to LU this season. First season I watched it as soon as I got home from work the day it aired. Now I drag my feet and watch an episode over 2-3 viewings. 

And The Moth has been my favorite thing on the show going back to late last season...

Edited by EricR
Matt beat me to positive Moth comments

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I love Marty's act. I know a lot of people really don't, much the same way some of us can't stand the sight of Sexy Star/Taya/Mariposa/Kobra so I included him.

Marty has been one of my favorite parts of LU since last season.  He's one of the better "wrestling actors" out there right now, and he's actually very competent in the ring.  Does he work in the lucha circuit regularly or something?

I don't mind the Mascarita comedy bits, but actually putting him in competitive matches where people are selling for him just takes me out of it completely.  Famous B's valet has a voice so shrill and annoying that it could completely ruin whatever is going on in the ring.

If you are not doing anything six days from now, Lucia Underground just announced a three-city tour starting this Sunday in Phoenix. The dates and locations are: 

• Oct. 23rd – Phoenix, AR
  • Oct. 30th – Houston, TX
  • Nov. 5th – San Diego, CA

One additional problem. They haven't released the bell time or venue. Might be problematic unless you plan on driving around Phoenix asking folks if they have seen a skeleton ninja or a time traveling space luchador. Cricket Wireless is the sponsor. 

There are details over on the @luchablog twitter account via Mariachi Loco on facebook. A perfectly appropriate way of getting information out there!

All shows are free as long as you pay to enter the festival/fair where they are taking place. I'm sure Cricket Wireless is giving LU money for these shows but it keeps the streak alive of LU heading into year 3 without having run a single show with paid admission. Not the strongest trait of successful wrestling companies. I'm not sure if they are incapable of getting something like this going due to organizational structure or just unwilling to charge the believers money. It's a conundrum.

I don't think the moth is bad just sick of seeing him every show when their are other people you don't see for weeks. 

Not the biggest Chavo fan but he does get genuine heel heat on a show where most of the heels are so cool they don't. 

These shows being announced via press release on a Cricket's website on Friday, and Lucha Underground telling people to wait until Tuesday for news is like the whole problem with the business side of LU neatly summarized. For better (or the opposite of better), the creative side of LU has a lot of energy and drive to do things, and the business side either doesn't have the same interest or has literally no man power to accomplish simple things. (No wonder Netflix isn't done.) It's cool they're getting 40 episodes this season, but I would've taken 38 and that extra money spent on People Who Can Getting Things Done. They seem short on those and have been for two years now.

Great rebound episode. It's very easy when you focus on the right people, let the action in the ring speak for itself & advance storylines that are actually interesting. Hope this the start of a nice run of shows until Aztec Warfare! Also hope Aero Star losing doesn't mean he disappears for 5 weeks. :(

C'mon rabbits! You guys are supposed to be the fast ones!

FYI That taping was the week before WrestleCon and is why Fenix couldn't make it to the show. They actually didn't even let him leave LA if I'm remembering right because he had surgery to fix his broken nose and wasn't allowed to fly. It's incredible he not only finished the match but also did a bunch of stuff in the condition he was in.