DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think I heard something about this recently, but was there a reason Jack was quiet the whole time?  Did he have some kind of surgery?  Either way it was fun seeing him express himself as much as possible without saying a word.

11 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

He broke his jaw and had to get it wired shut, and the season was shot out of order.

Ah, ok... I was gonna say I had absolutely no idea what Jack was going for in that match.

I thought Dario's line about Son of Havoc running home to his mom was throwaway generic heeling, but then they actually did a segment with Son of Havoc at home and his mom making snacks for him and Mascarita Sagrada. That was great.

Add "Ricky Mandel's impending trouble for having those pictures that he shouldn't" to the list of interesting angles.

I'll cover the WMD debacle tomorrow or later, but for now here's LUCHA UNDERGROUND 9/21/16

- Digging the Matanza Not-So-Open Challenge. Mack is always welcome and tosses a Fuchi-level back suplex to make me remember how much I love him. It kinda sucks that Matanza didn't take Dario's recommendation to go for the neck for the finish and just went for his go-to finisher instead of something really horrifying... but then, we don't end up with Mack in a neckbrace or some crap. 

- I told you Marty was hooking Dario up in jail! The only implausible factor is it'd be Marty. You know el Jefe would have way better connects both that close to the border and inside. And yeah, Bagel Bites in Son of Havoc's mom's trailer or lines in the Temple Office... well one might get your head staved in with a stone bull figurine I guess, but it might be worth the risk. 

- Damn, the Cage tope brought up the bad memory of Edge's against Jose Estrada Jr. The announcers and the crowd were both cringing too. Texano did his best but he was visibly winded and both Vamp and Striker were trying to cover it up on commentary. Nice how this didn't end with the Weapon X. Or with the goddamn Rainmaker Texano decided to attempt, for that matter. Ugh, I don't know if I want to see a best of five with these guys. Texano needs to work on his cardio (something Cage has no problem with apparently). 

- So what were on the pictures he gave to Ricky (? whoever)? And what was on the hat? Mysteries abound...

- Vamp: "Wait... what's that game with the thing on his face, Mortal Kombat" Good job there chief. Jack's pouting horseshit was mildly funny, Taya worked her way pretty well through a couple near fuckups, Aero Star was Aero Star (Striker said "intergalactic" and I immediately thought of him coming out to the Beasties song). Otherwise this wasn't much. Oh boy, then Sexy Star runs in and blows the first dropkick she tries! Good job. Methinks Johnny was busy knocking on Dario's door trying to get a bump the whole time. (EDIT: Actually, it wasn't him "trying". Anybody been around one of those crowds knows there's two guys always ready to sneak off together and will bide their time, so the tag match was the perfect excuse.)

- Striker is now making more references to other matches and wrestlers than if Dennis Miller were on PBP. We get it, and we know 'em. You can hang back a little man.

Somebody is framing Famous B, damn it. That nefarious Mascarita Sagrada works fast! 

Outside of Dario goodness and the Son of Havoc segment, not a great episode. Cage and Texano seemed a bit off. There wasn't much drama in the Matanza match and I love Mack. The criticisms of Matanza going from unstoppable squash machine to just a powerful dude were most appropriate for this match. They were going for the same drama that the Havoc match had and it didn't happen. Hopefully the next dial match is a straight up annihilation.

We just did a video podcast with Eric Van Wagenen, executive producer of Lucha Underground, and we also address the photos with my wacky theories of what they mean, my theory on Matanza's weakening powers, me shitting on Jimmy Jam Garvin, and my friends making me do my Stone Cold impression to a guy who KNOWS Stone Cold.  Probably the most fun I've had doing an episode, it's good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzWikH-Dd0I

Alright, which one of you Temple goers didn't laugh hard enough at Dario's joke about Chavo's bad break to make him happy? There has to be a reason that he, and the writers and producers behind him, now punish the viewers with a Tejano-Cage best of 5.

On September 16, 2016 at 3:40 PM, RandomAct said:

All I can keep wondering is if Striker was actively trying to fuck that main event with his shitty commentary.  He's normally god awful but he was another level here.  Moth and Killshot are fucking murdering each other, and a competent pbp man would have sold this thing like life or death, but Striker is out there cracking wise like a 2nd tier Buffy character.

I honestly think it was the worst commentary I've ever heard on a wrestling match, and I'm not one for hyperbole. I've heard plenty of bad announcing, but this was just 25 minutes of constant, aggressively focused awful. It was so overbearing, so overly planned, and shit on any potential violence actually being done. And then the "spoils of war" reference directed towards Melissa Santos was just gross. 

• Like 2

Real different season so far as compared to Season 2. That was very hectic with a big match every week since it was a shortened season. This season is clearly moving slower and building to things coming later on. The matches feel less important and certainly more rushed (catching a lot of real obvious edits) for whatever reason. I find myself comparing it so far to ECW 1999. You see the occasional cool spots every week & funny skits/outside the ring segments but it doesn't feel like the product you enjoyed in previous years. Something is missing.

Don't get me wrong, it's still my favorite show every week, I'm just voicing my thoughts after watching tonight. It's tough when you get two squashes, a match where the talented guys have to deal with Sexy Star/Taya dragging things down & a main event where Chavo grounds a talented guy and then can't even take his finish smoothly which was his ONE JOB. (They cleverly edited Chavo dropping Azteca when he tried to catch the dive)

Hopefully things pick up soon with a Puma vs Muertes match since they kill it every time and maybe the new faces start showing up soon. I can't handle another week of a midget vs regular sized dude & Kobra Moon in action...

Mil and Catrina have me wondering if there a limit as to how many jobber souls you can bring into your own soul before becoming The Ultimate Jobber.

Also, a wrestling show on El Rey should have ninjas. Just seems right, and it's good to see that it might happen soon.

• Like 3

Brought this to @Tromatagon's attention on Twitter, thought he'd dig this.  His podcast got mentioned on Wrestling Observer.

Executive Producer Eric Van Wagenen did an interview on the MMM show talking more about the television side of things. He noted that he’s worked on shows like “Survivor” and “The Apprentice” watched by tens of millions, yet there’s so much more analysis and passion for Lucha Underground than the other shows. He said he wasn’t critical of the criticism, just impressed how much feedback they get from this show compared to shows that so many more people watch. Somebody brought up the announcing during the Killshot vs. Marty the Moth match (it was horrible, although not TripleMania level horrible). He said that he wants Vampiro and Matt Striker to be either really loved or really hated so feels it’s working. Man, you don’t want your lead announcer to be really hated, that’s not working. When the over reliance on intergender matches was brought up, he said they didn’t have enough money in the first season to bring in a lot of women, and if they didn’t do intergender, they’d just have Sexy Star vs. Ivelisse matches. He said they wanted to stay true to Lucha Libre tradition where intergender wrestling is big. Huh? CMLL never does it. AAA until recently did do the man, woman, mini and exotico four-ways on big shows as entertainment openers but never straight men vs. women until just recently, and it was very controversial when they just did it
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Called us MMMshow instead of Masks Mats and Mayhem

Nobody will find us

hahaha

Actually, quick Google search for MMMShow brings up you guys right away:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mmmshow

Granted, it shows some Motor podcast initially, but you're there.  Heck, it even has you guys in the image search so I think you're good.