DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Either they are taping this season in a new building or this is the first time they have done tapings in the day because I don't remember actually seeing light and sun coming into the temple before.  

Not sure what was taped before the first match but man it looked like a bloodbath

The wall behind the standing area above the stairs has windows, but they usually leave them covered up.

Havoc/Matanza was the first match of the taped as far as I know. They may have not cleaned up from last season, but they also do go out of their way to make things look worn and grimy for aesthetic reasons.

Great season opener, really curious as to who the big boss is.  Love the glove of death like it's their take on Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget.  Come to think of it, I think I want to keep it that way.  And fucking Honkey Tonk Man?  That was so damn random yet kind of worked.  And I love that he "came up" with the wheel concept which sounds pretty cool.  But I still can't stop thinking "Spin the wheel, make the deal!" when I see it.

Dario's scenes were so close to stealing the show if not for Rey/Pentagon Dark.  He wouldn't be swayed by Mundo's group and his interaction with Marty was fantastic.  I loved that not only did he meet Marty's relatives in prison, but went from laughing to beyond weirded out when Marty went nuts.

• Like 3

Dario even did a play on words regarding spin the wheel, make the deal. Because it just decides opponents and not gimmicks, I like it. And how Son of Havoc got his shot after getting boned at Ultima Lucha II was neat.

You know shit just got real when you have a HTM cameo and Dr. Claw in the opening vignette. The opening and closing matches were fantastic and even Sexy Star looked fine (but Taya rules so that isn't too surprising). Way strong episode to kick off the season and get rid of the bad taste the Pentagon match from Ultima Lucha left me. I still get that childish sense of wonder and joy when watching this show like I do for nothing else on TV or DVD. PWG probably comes closest. 

• Like 4

I love that everyone also thought of Inspector Gadget. I mean, it was obvious, but you never know how much culture has passed you by. 

On the other hand, I completely missed that that was Honky somehow. Damn.

Loved the wheel.

Sexy's shitty wrestling is often concealed when she wrestles dudes, where it almost makes sense that she can only do a compromised moveset, but boy does wrestling another woman really emphasize her shittiness.

Sexy's match with Taya (who's no great shakes either) was about as bad as the abomination of a match with Emma Huevo. 

I marked out like a mofo for Honky Tonk Man. Striker's shout-out to the Young Bucks' Superkick party was cringe-inducing. I'm not sure how LU is going to build Ivelisse/Catrina over 40 episodes, but if anyone can make it work, it's them. Worldwide Underground is so fucking sleazy, it's great. I'm so happy this show is back.

Cero Miedo, indeed.

9 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Sexy's match with Taya (who's no great shakes either) was about as bad as the abomination of a match with Emma Huevo. 

I marked out like a mofo for Honky Tonk Man. Striker's shout-out to the Young Bucks' Superkick party was cringe-inducing. I'm not sure how LU is going to build Ivelisse/Catrina over 40 episodes, but if anyone can make it work, it's them. Worldwide Underground is so fucking sleazy, it's great. I'm so happy this show is back.

Cero Miedo, indeed.

You take that back, sir.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I still get that childish sense of wonder and joy when watching this show like I do for nothing else on TV or DVD. PWG probably comes closest. 

This sums up my feelings as well. I feel hatred for the assholes who beat up Angelico, I feel happiness when Rey overcomes near defeat at the hands of Pentagon & I can't wait to see what storyline twists are coming up down the line.

I figured whether you enjoy this season or not would be decided in that opening skit once it's revealed (I think) that Dario's boss isn't of the human race. Either you think that's awesome or you're done with the show with right then and there. LOL

It's a very nice feeling to know aside from maybe a holiday break in December this show isn't going anywhere until June.

17 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Sexy sucks as bad as Sexy sucks and she's been wrestling for 10 fucking years.  She's been that bad since day one.

Holy shit, it just dawned on me she's the Velvet Sky of LU.  She's just missing the non-wrestling appeal that Velvet has.

• Like 1

So they're redoing Penatgon/Vampiro and Mil/Puma already? At least the latter is the two best workers in the company, I guess.

I can't figure out what they're doing with Pentagon at all. Why the fuck is he working a showoff gimmick? His story arc makes no sense, unless Rodriguez insisted they do some bizarre tribute to his buddy QT with some out-of-order storytelling. Vampiro criticizing him for not taking things seriously should have led into his "dark" character where he started breaking peoples' arms, then worked his way up to Dario and the Matanza chase, then do the Vampiro feud that ended S1 after he failed. It's somewhat incredible how they've squandered the most over guy on the roster.

With Matanza continuing to look weak and less credible as champion, plus Sexy Star being guaranteed a major angle, I'm a bit skeptical for S3.

• Like 1

Yeah, don't trust the guy who says he's seen the best matches the show has produced by a wide margin in Season 3, it's not like I was at pretty much every taping or anything.

For instance, the WMD match next week is a star making performance for Marty the Moth Martinez and Killshot.  Like, I fucking like Killshot now.  Seriously.

- Oh man, Dario... I just love the fuck out of Dario. And the Dr. Claw boss with Sauron's glove on! "RING DA BELL!"

- Agreed on Son of Havoc being such a great sympathetic babyface. No matter how goofy Matt Cross' moves and gimmick can be, he shows great heart, and I loved the surprise MMA transitions he was busting out. He also did the only Lethal Injection that ever looked semi-reasonable.

- "Welcome to Slam Town, you piece of string bean". Then Dario almost pulls a Stringer Bell; if he said "yo lock that door, lock that door" I would've lost it. 

- Is Catrina even a trained wrestler? Can we please get Ivelisse wrestle someone that is if not? Taya would have been a better idea because she did her best to drag a match out of Sexy and succeeded fairly well. The Worldwide Underground (...okay) beatdown did a bit to help with the heat and surely there's an eight-person match arising from that. 

- So what was Marty smuggling to Dario on the inside? Coke? Packs of Ramen? Dario looks like he'd prefer the coke and Marty looks like he'd prefer to keep the Ramen for himself.

- Rey must've found the Fountain of Youth somewhere. It's insane what he gets away with physically to this day. Pentagon Dark was of course great and I didn't see a problem with him losing to Rey because hey, it's Rey, and they set up a feud with Dragon Azteca that Pentagon should definitely win... please, LU. We're begging you. 

- Puma/Mil again? Mil needs to win that for sure. 

- "Promotional Consideration Furnished By BAGEL BITES"?! 

• Like 1

Pentagon is increasingly becoming like if during ECW's heyday someone said to themselves, "hey, instead of having this little orange-skinned midget actually ever beat other legit guys, he can just job instead and always get his heat back by choking them out postmatch like some sore loser punk bitch." I cringed with every passing mention of lackadaisical pin covers and playing to the crowd. While I spoiled myself on certain things taking place in Season 3, I looked at very few specific match results. I don't really mind either considering it's Rey but this is getting out of hand.