DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Doing a fun episode of our podcast this week - it's going to be a Lucha draft, where I go against my cohost Byron, choosing from the actual roster and bringing in a limited number of outsiders.

Then on the next episode, we have to book an episode of the show using our drafts, and the listeners get to pick the best one.  It's going to be me, but it's still worth a listen - you'll be able to find our shit from #mmmshow on twitter or the @mmmshow75 account.

Cage is one of those guys that every time he comes out I'm like "alright, this is cool.  There's just ten guys I'd rather see wrestle right now on the show"

Byron gives me the most uncomfortable shitty chair and it makes me mean.  He also won the "best roster" vote on Twitter so I should have been meaner.  It actually concerns me about our listnership in the worst way possible.

I got a ton of the best AAA guys, and brought in Cavernario and Speedball.  Barbaro Cavernario alone should be an instant win for any lucha fan that knows the storyline possibilities of a motherfucking caveman

You clearly had a storyline in mind and drafted for that. On the other hand, Byron went for the best roster. Your supplemental picks destroyed his though. Speedball is the fucking man.

I feel like after Cage's initial push they've not used him anywhere near as well as they should. I get there can only be so many big monsters pushed at once but he's so fucking mint in the ring. Perfect for that style. His match with Matanza was one of season 2's best. I really hope he has a bigger role in season 3 and potentially working Callihan and maybe Mil is a step up.

Am I the only one who thinks Kenny Omega and LU is a match made in heaven? He can ham it up in vignettes and his style would win over the audience in no time. I guess it can be argued it wouldn't be a realistic pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday, we record our podcast where we have to reveal our booking of an episode of the show using the rosters we drafted:

Here's mine:

We had to pick 6 males from the main roster.  I got Pentagon Dark (first round pick baby) Drago, Aero Star, Fenix, Jack Evans, Angelico.

We had to pick 3 females.  I picked Catrina specifically to fuck over my cohost Byron who picked Mil Muertes, Taya, and Brenda, because they tried to rig the draft order to force me to pick Sexy Star and I'm a fucking winner and have a way out of everything.

I cleaned up with my outside picks:  Cavernario, Speedball Mike Bailey, and Danshoku Dino.  I then quickly learned our listeners don't know who any of those people are.

Special Attraction:  We got to pick ANYONE or ANYTHING, so I picked The Great Muta.

Then, we did a supplemental draft, where it was all random, from people nobody picked.  I got Cortez Castro, Cage, Son of Havoc, Dr. Wagner Jr., The "Mohawk Gimp" from the trailers, Mascarita Sagrada, and NIGHTCLAW who I would have picked had I not completely blanked on him existing in LU.

My show is going to have a lot of fucked up shit happening and someone is going to die and there will be a shoot caveman

• Like 2

Here's our episode with the fantasy booking - it'd mean a lot if you guys checked out the booking - you can vote who you think had a better episode via twitter, it's pinned to my profile page (@luchagringo).  Right now, I'm winning.

The stuff with us doing our episodes starts about 30 minutes in, and I go first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeeLfoEv7Zs

Either they are taping this season in a new building or this is the first time they have done tapings in the day because I don't remember actually seeing light and sun coming into the temple before.  

Not sure what was taped before the first match but man it looked like a bloodbath

Amazing random Honky cameo.

Matanza/Son of Havoc was very good. Havoc got way more offense than I would've thought and played a great believable underdog. Dig Matanza's finisher as instant death.

I love Taya and Sexy Star so that was an enjoyable little match. Taya is consistently awesome and the whole Mundo/Evans/PJ group rules. Good mic work from Ivelisse also setting up the Catrina match which shall be years in the making by then.

Fun main event of Rey/Pentagon with a spectacular finish. Enjoyed all the vignette stuff, great bits with Dario. Glad to have LU back so soon.