DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

11 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Which of you maniacs was out there losing their shit while the band was playing?

I wish that was me in the crowd.  It seems like it's impossible not to have a great time there.  That band was amazing and the only one where I feel compelled to look up their stuff.

Haven't seen the main event yet, but holy fuck that nunchucks match was outstanding.  Such ridiculously great fun.  How can you go wrong with a dragon, a time traveling man, douchebag heels, and now freaking nunchucks!  Fun, fun times.

8 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Didn't realize this season was so much shorter than last year.

It is, but I think they confused everyone with how they said it: Ultima Lucha 2 is in four weeks, but Ultima Lucha runs for 3 weeks of shows (and the last one is the usual double sized version.) The show is still going until July 20.

Did they set up Rey Mysterio vs Prince Puma because I can sense some animosity between the two?

Also, I wonder who is going to face team douchebag for the trios title at Ultima Lucha.

It's been awhile since I seen Angela Fong in the ring so please tell me that she is any good before I walk in this match disappointed like all hell.

I know of no UL 2 spoilers, but based on how the storylines have been playing out, I'm thinking the trios title challengers would be Aerostar and Drago accepting an offer from Fenix to join them, for surely he's pissed that Mundo beat him up and Evans and Black laughed about it.

Am I bad a person if I say I hope they brought in Melina as a counter Taya's presence in said match?

3 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

It's been awhile since I seen Angela Fong in the ring so please tell me that she is any good before I walk in this match disappointed like all hell.

I haven't seen her in-ring since the FCW days. Back then, she was decent. Hope she's ring ready. 

4 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Did they set up Rey Mysterio vs Prince Puma because I can sense some animosity between the two?

Also, I wonder who is going to face team douchebag for the trios title at Ultima Lucha.

They teased Rey/Puma last week too with Puma being upset about Rey and DAJ being all secretive then Rey getting mad about Puma getting the blatant DQ in the trios title match. The trios title has to be Drago, Aerostar, and Fenix. Drago and Aerostar have the season-long feud with Jack and PJ, and Mundo beat up Fenix to take his spot in the title win.

The Ultima Lucha card looks like it's almost completely set

• Pentagon vs. Matanza
  • Team Douche vs. Fenix/Drago/Aerostar
  • Rey vs. Puma
  • Mil vs. Cuerno
  • Lotus vs. DAJ
  • Moth vs. Killshot
  • Kobra vs. Daga

I'm sure there will be something with Cisco/Reyes/Ryan and Havoc/Ivelisse/Angelico as well. I could see Cage/Texano being thrown together last minute since they're the biggest names with no angles at the moment. Or all of them could be thrown into a clusterfuck match I guess.

They don't have enough time left to do all the qualifiers again but I think you're right and Dario will come up with something wacky. Don't think Angelico will be involved in anything as the injury storyline was done to write him out for the rest of the season if I'm remembering right. That story should set him up nicely for season 3 though once we find out who did it... and I'm pretty sure Dario knows the way he said "unfortunate accident". :P

LUCHA UNDERGROUND REPORT 6/8/16

Spoiler

Man, Striker, shave your head or something. A shave and a change of wardrobe would be nice as well. When Vampiro looks more dignified in fashion than you, you need to change it up. 

Marty the Moth vs. Killshot: That opening dive through the ropes apparently dropping Marty on his head outside deserved Vamp's "oh shit" comment. As did what Marty did to him in response. We get a DDQ and these guys still want to take each other's eyes out. This is definitely the best use of Killshot and Marty is the sleeper guy in the fed being a brutal wrestler who can play a really creepy, sleazy role both in and out of the ring. Melissa should just have a stand-in or go up to the band balcony anytime she has to announce his matches. 

Speaking of Melissa, I don't think she even bought the idea of a nunchuks match. 

Jack Evans/PJ Black (the Darewolf? What the fuck is that even?) vs. Aerostar/Drago: Drago yet again makes the black metal fan/Satanist in me happy with the giant goat's head mask. Aerostar sports the glowing Iron Man heart which makes me even happier. It just doesn't get better than that, wrestling-wise: a goat-headed dragon and a starman fighting two utter assholes in a nunchuks match. We have reached another plane of reality, ladies and gents. 

Both teams do a couple absurd double-team highspots before going for the nunchuks. Evans: "COWABUNGA!"

I... I don't even know what to say about this. We get a huge balcony dive, green mist, and the heels getting their comeuppance. Via rollup. And there are nunchaku involved. It would be easy to say it can't get more ridiculous (in a good way), but apparently the next match is 6 on 6. 

6 vs. 6: So we basically have six faces vs. three faces (depending on how you define Cuerno) and three heels, because no one can really like Taya and Mundo, or if they're in their right mind Chavo at all. And then Pentagon Jr. comes out and breaks Chavo's arm and Casey and everyone else loses their shit. Which also makes the semi-heel team the automatic face team. Ah man this is the best. Sexy comes out awful again, Mack is the MVP with the most in-ring action and his incredibly dope hilo into a tuck-and-roll into a standing position during the big dive train, and Johnny wins it for his team after two more nut shots, one on him and one on Puma. Pretty good idea having an all-rudo team (minus Ivelisse) in a six person match to face Matanza, and even better knowing Pentagon is gonna bust all other fives' arms. 

CERO MIEDO

Fun 6-way match only occasionally marred by annoying Lucha affectations like sitting around waiting for someone to do a dive into you, staring at them the whole time.  Taya and Mundo are so good together, Taya is getting all the heat and facetime that Ivelisse got in Season 1 and she's done a great job showing she's deserved the attention.  

The announcing during the bout annoyed me because I really thought they should have put over Pentagon's back injury more.  For him to get back in the ring with Matanza, the man who destroyed him and broke his back - why that's suicide!  Actually I think Matt Striker does a mediocre job of keeping the angle narratives going in general.  Maybe he needs Dario whispering through an earpiece.

Pretty disappointing return for Pentagon Jr. I was expecting they'd make a bigger deal out of it rather than him being in a 12-man tag match with no memorable spots for him. He was just another guy there, like nothing happened. Mil's return was underwhelming as well. Either LU's lost its touch or I'm desensitized with the style.

The 6-way was physically brutal. I can't imagine how much ice they needed afterwards (including their slap-sore thighs from all those sick sounding kicks).  

7 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Who will run the temple next season after Pentagon has reduced Dario to nothing more than a head in a fucking fishbowl?

If there's a promotion that could figure out a way to have the lead authority figure be a head in a fishbowl, it's LU.

Or if they want a guy who's good at playing a character that's in charge of some people, and just has a bunch of heads in fishbowls, they could see if David Morrissey's available.

• Like 1

If anything's been off with Pentagon this season it's that the Master segments have lowered the whole tone. Honestly I'm fine with the near-Brother Nero levels of camp these vignettes have achieved; it's like they went ahead and did the Bane breaks Batman's back storyline but decided to pay homage to the Adam West Batman during the execution phase. But it was so much cooler last season when the Master was just a disembodied voice or at most a silhouette in the dojo. I was fine with the initial reveal but it's been all downhill this season as Vamp playing the wise, battle-hardened omnipresent sensei is only good for shits and giggles. Biggest laugh so far has been Pentagon falling flat on his face out of the Stephen Hawking signature power scooter.

Fun show-long match this week. Kind of underwhelming since it seemed no one else had a chance except Pentagon and Matanza/Pentagon wasn't much special last time compared to the Matanza/Muertes series but should be good nonetheless. Ivelisse remains one of the best around and one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. Loved the Ivelisse/Taya portion, Taya continues to kill it on the regular and makes a great foil for Ivelisse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Ivelisse remains one of the best around and one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. Loved the Ivelisse/Taya portion, Taya continues to kill it on the regular and makes a great foil for Ivelisse.

I thought Ivelisse was horrible in the match. A far cry from season 1 Ivelisse. I don't think she's fully recovered from her injury. (Admittedly, I have no idea of the actual time lines)