DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think I told you guys there was a match coming up that had the coolest fucking thing I've ever seen in it

It was that punching through the casket spot.  I'm glad you guys can see me absolutely mark the fuck out on TV so you know the reaction is genuine

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

He probably just forgot once. One of my biggest pet peeves about the show is the obviously scripted lines that they have Striker interject that come off so phony. Like the whole passing of the torch thing with Puma and Rey.

Striker suddenly calling Muerte's spear "the reaper's trident" was a distracting bit of a scripted term, though I thought it was his usual bit of purple prose gone wild the first time he did it. Striker's commentary has so many weird quirks that it's tough to figure them all out

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I think I told you guys there was a match coming up that had the coolest fucking thing I've ever seen in it

It was that punching through the casket spot.  I'm glad you guys can see me absolutely mark the fuck out on TV so you know the reaction is genuine

20160511luchaunderground_5.gif

• Like 6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was scratching my head at "death box." It was like some bizarro WWE style term that was designed to sound less family friendly than what it actually was.

Anyway, the casket match was really good. Definitely more along the lines of what I expected from these two. I was also pleasantly surprised by Cuerno's involvement. Poor Mil is going the Taker route of having a specialty match that he never wins.

Havoc/Ivelisse vs. Mundo/Taya should be a fun program.

1 hour ago, Hail Sabin said:

DVR for the May 18th episode talks about a match happening much earlier then I thought it would.

Are you talking about Gift of the Gods or something else? Striker mentioned the GotG match during the triple threat.

Am I the only one who liked the King Cuerno stuff?  Really cool way to interject him back into important stuff after it looked like he was being jobbed out.

The punch through the casket is up there with Angelico's first big dive as my favorite "holy goddamn" moment in LU history.

Looks like I'm the only one who didn't care for the main event. I found it plodding and a bit boring, with the odd cool spot. A rare misstep for me.

BUT! I am stoked to find out who the mystery fella is - well, if Meltzer doesn't blurt it out soon, anyway.

Liked Puma/Rey/Dragon getting the titles because they're probably the best team on the roster and will be able to get a great match out of anyone. 

Graver Consequences was awesome as a Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man, Freddy vs. Jason slobberknocker. But I'm still pissed that Mil lost. Who the hell can beat Matanza now? Also, Dario took another bump! It was smaller but he's still just a damn actor. 

The Mayor reveal better be good.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

He should be Latino but you know who would kill it?

Rutger Hauer.

So how does that production meeting go?

"People online keep talking about a Hobo Army, how great it would be. What if we bring in The Hobo with a Shotgun?"

2 hours ago, alstein said:

I'm kinda expecting the Mayor to be a Wolfgang Krauser or Geese Howard type for some reason.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

In the first Lorenzo Llamas appearance (at the police station), Councilman Delgado said the mystery person was not the mayor, but instead someone more powerful than the Mayor. He may be using powerful in a different sense (not sure how much the LA mayor can bench), but it's not the mayor.

I suspect this reveal is intentionally going to be vignette only to keep it from getting out.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Liked Puma/Rey/Dragon getting the titles because they're probably the best team on the roster and will be able to get a great match out of anyone. 

Graver Consequences was awesome as a Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man, Freddy vs. Jason slobberknocker. But I'm still pissed that Mil lost. Who the hell can beat Matanza now? Also, Dario took another bump! It was smaller but he's still just a damn actor. 

Dude, when he took that bump off the apron, I audibly popped.  That is not the safest bump for a non-worker. Seriously, big ups to him for going all-in with the character.

16 hours ago, thecubsfan said:

In the first Lorenzo Llamas appearance (at the police station), Councilman Delgado said the mystery person was not the mayor, but instead someone more powerful than the Mayor. He may be using powerful in a different sense (not sure how much the LA mayor can bench), but it's not the mayor.

I suspect this reveal is intentionally going to be vignette only to keep it from getting out.

Danny Trejo as Machete

• Like 2

On 5/13/2016 at 8:48 AM, Linus said:

Looks like I'm the only one who didn't care for the main event. I found it plodding and a bit boring, with the odd cool spot. A rare misstep for me.

Same here. Half the time was spent dragging and positioning the caskets. 

I just can't buy Matanza. Cobb's portrayal (i.e body language) is more Abyss than Brock.

On 5/15/2016 at 6:35 PM, kiguchi said:

Same here. Half the time was spent dragging and positioning the caskets. 

I just can't buy Matanza. Cobb's portrayal (i.e body language) is more Abyss than Brock.

To be fair, it is hard to get Brock Lesnar level monster. You need an actual freak of nature that is not interested in amateur wrestling or sports or other forms of entertainment that are more respected and pays better. You would literally need to hire someone like the Mountain to get that kind of an effect. Cobb is good at what he does with his assorted mix of power moves and kind of gets the point across. If anything, he is the best that Lucha Underground can get for the role of Matanza.

I love Matanza and am quite happy with how he's doing.  If all I saw of him were from the tapings only I'd be annoyed at him beating the top guys.  I can see why the live crowd would hate him for that.  But with the benefit of the video packages he's fantastic.  That said, going back to matches like Grave Consequences they really need to find a way to edit out needless parts of the match.  That and the LMS matches had lots of setting up weapons that hurt the flow when watching.  I'm hoping in future matches like this they can trim it down to a believable degree.

Fair enough.  But look at the Last Man Standing (or was it ladder) match between  Fenix and Cuerno.  They spent so much time setting up ladders and such that it really hurt the flow of the match.  Definitely was more apparent in that than Grave Consequences.  if somebody had an edited version of that match I'd enjoy it a ton more.

No conversation on this week's episode? If you believe the write-up from the Torch columnist, it was a nothing episode.  The Torch guy doesn't seem to get it. He hasn't liked much at all this season.

On the other hand, MGFanJay on the Observer's site thought it was one of the best episodes of the season. 

I no longer get El Rey because my wife said it costs too much money. Im telling ya, that's grounds for divorce.