DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm really hoping that after losing the trios match Mil does just that.  I'm hopeful on that as Catrina emphatically said they won't lose again.  So either they win somehow or they lose and that's it for them.  Really hoping the latter happens.

And hot damn I could go for more Rey/Puma/Azteca in my life, that was amazingly fun.  The ending sequence especially was tremendous.

I want to see the Disciples gone as well- they're by far the worst performers in LU.  

Texano- I can tell he's good, he just hasn't been part of the big LU picture much.   Maybe it's just hard to work his character into the mix against the monsters/ninjas/aliens at the top of the card unless you went Survival Tobita with him.

Texano is the Alberto Del Rio of Lucha Underground. He's got talent, but he's just not very interesting. The fact that he's been booked like a chump for most of his stint hasn't helped either.

Anyway good show this week. Dario owned the fuck out of that opening scene, The Chris Kyle gimmick appears to have filled a lot of the holes in Killshot's game, Texano and Daga had a decent match despite the crowd not having much reason to care about either of them, and the main event was off the chain. Dragon Azteca looked really impressive, and Cage was beasting the whole time. Taya is quietly establishing herself as the best female wrestler in LU. She didn't really feel out of place at all in a match where the gender dynamic could've been very awkward. Rey seems to have found the fountain of... Not quite youth, but  back to about 2009.

I feel like next week won't be the last Mil/Matanza match. It came up so fast, it just screams non-finish to me. Can't believe the DoD are coming back, especially with two fun teams already out. Why can't we get the team of Argenis, Ricky Mandel, and El Mariachi Loco led by Famous B instead?

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Amazing main event. Everyone was awesome there and of course a great finishing sequence. I like Taya a lot, she's been fantastic since debuting. Enjoyed both other matches as well.

Ivelisse is still the best luchadora in the promotion but the gap between her and Taya is a lot smaller than the gap between Taya and the rest of the field.  I was actually a bit conflicted watching the trios match because I think a series between the current champs and Johnny Mundo/Taya/Cage would be really good.

• Like 1

Aw, man, Mil/Matanza tonight is going to be insane.  Since it's on 4/20, I'd really hope those partaking check this out.  Imagine (assuming it's your stereotypical "Far out, man!" stoner) that they see this match and all the freaky shit that will happen.  Their minds will surely be blown.  Or they'll just go with "Half Baked" yet again which will be their loss.

I don't know if that was the best LU match to date, but it was one of the most brilliantly laid out matches I've ever seen. Respect to Luis Gil-Fernandez for taking that sick bump on the outside. You can tell the guy pours his heart into this thing. 

Having a poster of Alberto under the "Missing" category was a nice touch.

And hey, do not ever ask for a Falls Count Anywhere match against that one Disciple of Death.

LUCHA UNDERGROUND 4/20/16 ~ ~ ~ ! SMOKE EM IF YOU GOT EM EDITION

Spoiler

Not smoking tonight (unfortunately), though drinking... like always. Lets do this thang. 

Damn, Drago looks super freaky tonight! This is gonna be a loaded episode if you got Aerostar contra Drago on top of what we already have lined up for the main. 

Aerostar vs. Drago (Aztec Medallion Match): And here it is! Drago even ups the game with the gnarly and massive goat-head mask that I would hang on my wall if I owned it. They start off all nice when really they should just start laying into each other, unfortunately. Aero botches real bad on an attempted highspot and they keep it in! Not like there's much the editors could do, but they let them work through it and I appreciate that; Vamp and Striker cover well for it too. Boyle Heights warms my heart by chanting "Aero Star" instead of "You Fucked Up". They go ahead with another pair of highspots and Aero is clutching his knee, even after he takes a mean DDT and should be clutching his skull. FUCK WE GET A DOMINATOR FROM DRAGO!!! I've wanted to see that move done again for YEARS. We get a pretty abbreviated win for Aero, which is nice, but I really think he tweaked his knee there. Match kind of fell to shit in general because of that but hey what can you do. There's still the Dominator.

The kung-fu 'swiveling wind' sound effects while Mundo works the wood thing is hilarious, it reminds of Uma Thurman whipping her hair before she starts fighting Pai Mei in Kill Bill 2 (go figure). Taya tells him he's fighting Cage next week and he says he's gonna "take him to Slam Town" hahahaha... until she reveals its a cage match. Cue sound effects again. Mundo is getting better at the acting and this was pretty funny. 

Fenix/Jack Evans/PJ Black vs. Disciples of Death: Striker makes a 4:20 joke immediately. Please Satan, make this go the way I want it to. Heh, one of the Disciples has '13' on his mask, guess he also knew what day this episode would come out on. If you don't get that reference ask your local biker. PJ has a really beautiful deep armdrag. Fenix hits an absolutely ridiculous tornillo from the second rope inside-out and you just wonder how. He's also not afraid to eat a big superkick and die on a DDT. The man is a treasure. My dark lord and master comes through as he banishes the Disciples back to the depths in a series of highspots. Evans is pure schtick the whole way through but it works. 

Goddammit, there is one Disciple left after he Kali-Mas the other two. No fair. Oh well, to at least two of them we can say "Bye, Felicia"

Mil Muertes vs. Matanza: Mil still doesn't like the cameras haha. Striker calls Matanza "the massacre himself"... okay. Shit, I never thought that both guys were about the same height. Mil comes out like an absolute bruiser and it's awesome. Dario interferes and makes me love him even more by getting choked from on high and taking a big bump from said height. They start battering each other with what looks like a pony keg up the stairs and Mil Flatliners Matanza through the roof of Dario's office while Dario freaks out at the base of the blatantly cut square in the roof. Smoke emerges and Dario screams at Catrina holding up the key and the match is over? Guess they had to blow it off somehow. Surely there'll be much more to come from the two in the future. 

Del Rio Is Missing! Don't worry, he was found, but you can have him back any time you like. 

Well that wasn't as good as expected but still hit the mark. No blow-out stuff but pretty solid and they're moving the storylines along nicely. Dario continues to rule the roost and Fenix is MVP every time he shows up. 

• Like 1

Also, here's a cool article about Boyle Heights my friend posted on Facebook yesterday. TromaCasey and Robert, you have any comments about it? Not to derail the thread and get into sociopolitical stuff but... yeah, to derail the thread and get into sociopolitical stuff. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/19/los-angeles-la-gentrification-resistance-boyle-heights

EDIT: Said friend posted it saying "no war but class war". My response was:

This man approves

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Curt, that was a great article, thanks for posting that.  I worry that if Boyle Heights ends up being gentrified, cool shit like LU wouldn't stand a chance there.  While their tactics might be extreme for some, I'm hoping they win in the long run.  Seeing a place I grew up gentrified is sad at times and I feel nostalgic thinking about the charm it had, now lost to a bunch of hipsters.  Ugh.

Back on-topic, I was so hoping for Fenix/Drago/Aerostar.  That would have been the absolute best, and them against Rey/Puma/Dragon would have ruled.  But I liked what they did instead.  Drago-Aerostar was super fun, and good on the crowd for being so forgiving for Aerostar's botch.  The Black/Evans/Fenix team is wonderfully wacky and I got a kick out of the dynamic they had.  I guess the one disciple is a disciple no more, that was a super cool video.  And Mil/Matanza was all kinds of brutally fun without giving too much away.  At the end I was begging for more, and I'm sure we're going to get that.  Great episode!

And was that really Lorenzo Lamas I saw at the end?  Damn.  And I got a hearty laugh seeing Alberto's photo under the Missing section.

• Like 2