DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Perhaps the identity of Mantanza should be spoilered until he actually competes in the ring. Besides, you are wrong. Mantanza is actually Scott Steiner. I'm joking, but wouldn't that have been great?

With that being said, I'm disappointed that he wasn't a giant. Previous scenes in season 1 led us to believe that he was going to be huge. Not so much. I hope Mantanza wrestles like a maniac and not like the guy who is portraying him. Killers shouldn't be doing German suplexes and shooting star presses.

Fenix/Mil was definitely my favorite match of the season, and maybe a top 5 ever in the promotion.  It's been so long since I've seen such a good HATE filled fight like that.  I felt like Fenix was literally fighting to survive.  Super underrated spot: Fenix tries to do some shit off the rail, and Mil just shoves him off into the chairs.  Such a great, simple spot. 

Crazy that when I first got into the show, Muertes was probably down with Chavo and Blue Demon as the guys I was least interested in.  But after he was "resurrected", he's been probably my favorite guy in the promotion.

Perhaps the identity of Mantanza should be spoilered until he actually competes in the ring. Besides, you are wrong. Mantanza is actually Scott Steiner. I'm joking, but wouldn't that have been great?

With that being said, I'm disappointed that he wasn't a giant. Previous scenes in season 1 led us to believe that he was going to be huge. Not so much. I hope Mantanza wrestles like a maniac and not like the guy who is portraying him. Killers shouldn't be doing German suplexes and shooting star presses.

Yeah I was worried they had painting themselves into a corner with how he had been portrayed previously - remember when The Crew went in to his chamber and they all craned their necks up to look at the as-yet-unseen Matanza.  There just weren't many options for a monster wrestler who could combine the physical presence needed for the role while still being unknown enough to the general audience to make the character compelling without distraction (so Great Khali always seemed like a non-starter to me).  

Oh yeah, don't go to Cobb's Wikipedia page looking for his background unless you want SPOILERS UP YOUR BUM.  And not the good kind of Spoilers that use the Bionic Claw either.

Yeah, I was checking something on Wiki and had the entire season spoiled. El Rey should employ Liam Neesons to track down and take out the corksuckers who leak results. YOU SIGNED AN NDA.

What's everyone favorite match thru the 8 episodes of season 2?

I think it goes Mil vs Fenix, Triple Threat, Cuerno vs Fenix LMS, Cuerno vs Fenix EP. 1 and Mil vs Ivelisse.

I loved Mil vs Fenix and my knee jerk reaction is it's my MOTY, so far. I still wish they'd get rid of the chair shots to the head. It takes me out of the match when it happens. Otherwise it was an incredible and emotional story that will also set the stage for all the other stories.

I spoiled Season 1 twice looking up dudes on wiki. I stay far away from anything lucha underground-related on wiki now.

Nothing to add here, fantastic episode and whoever mentioned the spot where Mil just shoved Fenix into the chairs/crowd was spot-on. I think I rewatched that part 3-4 times. Simple, cool, effective and relevant to the characters.

Great show this week. Was legitimately surprised by Fenix's win, wasn't expecting that at all.. especially considering I'm just getting around to watching days later. Awesome match and a very cool finish. Great spots throughout, thought both the mask ripping and chair shots amped up the hate. Good to see the trios champs back on top as well. Agreed on expecting a giant Matanza, but thought the initial first look was not bad. Felt like we've been waiting for that reveal forever. Interested to see how he looks in action.

Oh the reveal was amazing, he really looked like the monster they'd been building up for a year.  I just wonder how it will look when they get to the temple and you realize Dario is taller than the head-crushing monster is.

They can fix that with one spot where a taller guy goes up to him and laughs and does a "is this it" gesture, then gets mauled. Mundo seems like the ideal candidate for that, although they might want to protect him a little more. Matanza being able to work is more important than his appearance. You can condition crowds to buy a short guy as a killer, it's a lot harder to condition them to think the show isn't about to get worse when their featured guy puts on a few stinkers in a row.

Taz over as a killer in front of the most smarky & judgemental crowd in the world back from 1995-1999. It's all about how he's booked & what his offense looks like. If he starts mauling fuckers and throwing them around like trash bags I doubt many people will care if he isn't tall.

I'm not saying a smaller guy can't be booked as a monster, just that every nod towards Mantanza in the past has portrayed him as huge.  I mentioned here that I was worried they were booking themselves into a corner, because there can't be very many giant guys on the indy circuit who could work a credible match in that promotion.  

I wonder who the shortest guys in LU are now.