DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I agree with what most said... the big spots in the ladder match were great but there wasn't much to the actual match. Like when both of them just climbed up to the top to hang onto the swinging title belt holding thing and then just fell. No build, no reason, they just did it to do it. I heard Fenix got injured during the match which might have effected the way it came off. The spot where he fell from the balcony onto the ladder ("broke his ass") might have been where it occured. I think he was supposed to take a flat back bump on the ladder but backed out in mid-air and landed awkwardly. I give them full credit for their efforts (Fenix's dive early on was the DOTY so far) but I think if you asked both they'd honestly say they can do better. I preferred both their other singles matches this year.

It does feel like this season is going slower than expected and the matches aren't as great as they were in season 1... YET. I wonder if this is part of the long term storytelling though for when Dario eventually returns. He can point out the Temple is better with him in charge and the idea for fans is to show you Catrina is less interested in giving you the violence/action Dario wanted, she's just purposely out there to fuck around.

I was at 4 of the 5 shows starting with Azteca Warfare and without spoiling anything I will say the stuff I saw on those tapings was better than anything in-ring so far in the season except maybe that first Fenix/Fantasma match. The tide definitely turns with Aztec Warfare because of all the stories that come out of it and new faces that end up appearing.

Shit, she has Dorian Grey powers???

Fuck, I *only* started getting real HD on LU and not cut down Daily Motion, I need to pay attention to the little things more.

Weren't her and Disciples of Death doing similar things last season?  That was her thing in a lot of the backstage stuff, whether it was fucking around with Fenix or taunting Angelico/Son of Havoc/Ivelisse.  She appears, does her thing then disappears.  There's definitely something immortal about her, but so far it's just "hot chick who appears/disappears and is with Mil"  Oh, and she licks people for some reason.  She's not Dario (who is, right?) but she's definitely interesting when she's on screen.

Digging all the matches this week. I always liked Sexy Star so I enjoyed her and Kobra though it was short. I liked Vampiro putting the win over as a rare tapout from Sexy Star. Muertes was great as the ruler of the temple, solid main event feud with him against both Puma and Pentagon. Looking forward to Aztec Warfare for sure.

I kinda hope they can somehow drag Muertes/Puma/Pentagon to Ultima Lucha, but I have my suspicions that they REALLY want Fenix to have that big moment at the end.  He's over, so it's fine, but beyond his spots and willingness to die, I'm not sold on Fenix.  He's not good at the in-between stuff.  I do like that they have settled on Muertes, Puma, Pentagon, Cuerno and Fenix being their top of card.  A little change from last year with some different faces.

The disappointment continues.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/03/lucha-underground-season-2-episode-6.html

Look I'll continue watching. Phil might tap out. They got several guys I really love, but the creative direction is limping right now, the sound effects for 80% of the strikes are getting silly, and the match finishes are just getting brutal. This feels like the tipping point where I'm consistently criticizing more things about the show than I'm praising. 

I've been enjoying LU this season. No great episodes yet but each episode has been solid. Would love too see more Team Sitcom and Mundo and less Cuerno. We need more Mundo matches, he is the best performer.  Where is Aerostar?

I think Phil is just missing Dario.

I would say the bands refuse to play because of concerns over future Johnny Mundo and company wrecking their gear, but what it boils down is that you just can't have fun and lively bands in A Much Darker Place.