DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That was a really fun season premier. I loved the cold opening with Vampiro getting evaluated in the loony bin. There was no long drawn out explanation of how he got there, it was just weird and eerie like it should have been. 

S2 began with Vamp in a psych ward and then appearing to murder Dr. Dick Johnson. Instead, he just hallucinated and got some pills. Striker saved him and sadly wasn't brutally murdered - maybe that will be the S2 finale. Anyway, this was a fantastic show with some crazy stuff in the Fenix-Cuerno match. I loved the story told with Ivie earning the shot, kind of having hope against Mil, but still being destroyed. Pentagon's role as this show's Austin circa '97 is fantastic so far, and that arm-snapper is over like crazy.

http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/lucha-underground-results-season-2-kicks-intergender-world-title-match-206426

Screens -

78f544461827219.jpg

a0ce14461827239.jpg

c10812461827253.jpg

449a0b461828087.jpg

1f7847461828070.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/rykct4lkdo1avpub2b7lwkmevsdb30mu

• Like 1

If you are not entertained by Lucha Underground it means that Mil Muertes has taken your soul and fed it to the chipmunks. That may have been the best hour of wrestling in North America in the last decade.

• Like 1

Ivelisse came off looking like a million bucks. If she got a major main event run I honestly don't think anyone would mind. It comes off as an anti-sexy star situation, wher she actually is passible with the men.

Vampiro is a genuinely interesting character. Which is incredible because this is Vampiro and it's the year 2016.

Matt Cross is really good at this wrestling thing.

Pentagon Jr. Is still awesome.

Maybe the best episode of TV I've seen in a long time.

If you are not entertained by Lucha Underground it means that Mil Muertes has taken your soul and fed it to the chipmunks. That may have been the best hour of wrestling in North America in the last decade.

That's heavy praise. Looking forward to watching on Sunday night!

Vamp's stilted flat delivery really worked in the psych ward bit. Not so much in the build up to his feud with Pentagon last season. But the opening made me actually care about Vampiro in the year 2016, which is amazing. 

Havoc/Angelico/Ivelisse was the best part of season one and I'm so glad that they're getting a huge shine right off the bat. 

I'm already hyped for next week. There's so many dangling plot threads that still haven't been addressed. 

So, some more thought out thoughts.

So the opening Video.... Fuck yes to that opening video. The production values are better this season then last. Like, holy shit. 

Okay, so the opener was a fucking blast. The Package Tombstone Piledriver is a "Holy Fuck" finish if there is one. Also, you want to set a "You can't miss an episode" feel to your show? Have one of your top stars when a match to make him No.1 contender, then have him lose it IMMEDIATELY in what every other company would view as a "Let's just have these guys go out and be impressive" spot. I was shocked Cuerno won. I was not upset. 

And then there's the triple threat, which made everyone look good, and had a good ending. 

And the main event should be a classic case of why LU is the best booked company going right now. Mil Muertes comes across as a killer. Ivelisse, who was the weak point of the team due to injury, comes back and looks tough while over matched and you can get rooting for her. They give her hope spots without damaging Muertes, and they fucking actually got me on the roll up. Then you get over them as total bastards, you get Puma over as being a good dude who will fight, and you get Pentagon over as a fucking killer. Oh, and then, Mantaza eats some jackasses. Whats not to like? 

• Like 1

That's heavy praise. Looking forward to watching on Sunday night!

In Canada? I set my PVR but I'm a little worried the description says series debut from 2014. I hope there weren't lines crossed and they won't be airing the new episodes as promised. :/

Guys the throne is STRAIGHT FROM MORTAL KOMBAT. More people should have listened to me last year! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh so awesome.

I'm not gonna bother echoing what you all said so I'll keep it simple - great episode.

Production values are incredible. I want the show extended by 30 minutes not for more wrestling - I just want more vignettes. They're beyond captivating. So many charachters to get invested in. Not just "hey, here's another guy with his own music & ring entrance but now he's gonna wrestle and talk like everyone else and we'll never explain his motivations"... like a certain company. Ahem.

The show set up 3 matches immediatly that we all probably want to see... Mil Muertes vs Puma or Pentagon Jr. or Cuerno (if he decides to cash in). Basically the entire season put into motion in one episode.

I can't wait to see where the Dario thing goes. I'm sure those gentleman are fine and will walk it off. $20 is a steal to meet Matanza!

Katrina was great in her role. She's clearly going more down the heel route than Dario who just wanted violence no matter who he was picking on. Every week needs to have Katrina & Melissa sexual tension. Or was I the only one who saw that? Moving on...

Angelico's hair is awesome. Fuck the haters.

I totally didn't see Fenix losing his title shot right away nor Muertes having his arm broken. Fantastic stuff.

Really hope all the publicity helps and the audience starts to grow with this season opener.

• Like 1

I got home just in time to see the last ten minutes and I lost it. THAT IS HOW YOU PUT ON A WRESTLING SHOW. 

Looked on the El Rey website and they're changing the schedule for next week, which gives me hope. Come on El Rey -- I know you gotta build hype for the replay but I NEED IT NOW. You gotta go back to the replays. I know you're listening. 

Katrina was great in her role. She's clearly going more down the heel route than Dario who just wanted violence no matter who he was picking on. Every week needs to have Katrina & Melissa sexual tension. Or was I the only one who saw that?

Do you mean Catrina and Ivelisse?  

I totally didn't see Fenix losing his title shot right away nor Muertes having his arm broken. Fantastic stuff.

Yeah, talk about jumping in to the new season with both feet.  I thought they'd pussyfoot around for a month or so, but noooope.

Katrina was great in her role. She's clearly going more down the heel route than Dario who just wanted violence no matter who he was picking on. Every week needs to have Katrina & Melissa sexual tension. Or was I the only one who saw that?

Do you mean Catrina and Ivelisse?  

Why not all three?

So, bitching time...

I knew the Gift of the Gods title was switching right away, because I went to Pro Wrestling Title Histories to look up how some titles swapped between JCP and WWF shows during my Old School thing and they had the switch on the front page.

I since wrote the site and asked them to NOT post LU switches until they air, and it appears they have done that.

After Puma made the save, I said to my friend that it was wonderful how they were able to get legitimately 8-10 characters more over than they were at the start of the show in less than an hour where WWE has a hard time doing that in a year. Then Pentagon came out and I looked like Randy Marsh covered in ectoplasm. I so missed this show.

Pentagon being promoted to the title scene rules and that match has huge potential. .. particularly a gimmick match as that's where both really shine.

When it was mentioned that Mil would be watching, my mind immediately raced to Shao Kahn. When they cut to the throne I did a big spit take. Holy shyit, that is glorious!

I'd say everyone looked great coming out of this, even Fenix.

• Like 1

Did you see the street clothes King Cuerno had on as he was leaving? Dude is totally macking. A white cowboy hat on a rudo? John Wayne, fuck your gringo ass! 

I thought the King came out on the short end of the stick too often last season, now it's time for him to shine. We need more arrows straight to the heart (although part of me wishes he'd refer to them as "love letters").

• Like 1