DVDVR Message Board

Watched the AJ promo. I guess they expected there to be a lot more support for the Total Divas girls, and it didn't happen. It was a great promo in terms of words, but I don't know what it set out to do,

It gave the fans who shit on the reality show something to cheer and fans of the reality show something to boo. Especially since the faces were reacting somewhat calmly and the heels were being annoying as fuck.

Watched the AJ promo. I guess they expected there to be a lot more support for the Total Divas girls, and it didn't happen. It was a great promo in terms of words, but I don't know what it set out to do,

It was her pipe bomb moment. She mentioned Sunny Days or Sucking Up or Whatever. Then she dropped the mic.

And then her music hit and she skipped away.

But even fans of the TV show would probably side with her. Reality TV is something people love to shit on but can't stop watching.Like wrestling.

Ah, I'd guess that most fans of the show aren't loving it in the same way people here are. Again, I think the fact that the faces reacted the way they did, and that AJ shoehorned on the "came from a wresting family" comment, it's the start of an AJ/ Nattie angle.

But even fans of the TV show would probably side with her. Reality TV is something people love to shit on but can't stop watching.

Yeah, I am also baffled by what AJ's promo was supposed to do even though it was an obvious plug.  I was half expecting her to give the network and the time slot TD would be on even as she was ranting.

I assume it is also the beginning of an AJ vs. Nattie feud, even though most of her venom was indirectly aimed at the Bellas, who are heels right now.

I'm watching this AJ promo again. It's so friggin' great.Her condescension right from the start is great. It's so dismissive. I think the key to the beginning of the promo was her only real burn was to Nattie with her line about her man. Nattie actually sells being pissed off and swoll. Nattie also has a disbelieving look like "Oh, don't say that about me, AJ. You know better." She also has a "famous wrestling family" line.I think this was seriously a "test the water" promo. They know they have a feud with Nattie no matter what since she can actually work. But AJ playing it sorta 50/50 in terms of being a face/heel also was a trial balloon to see if they can also go with The Bellas.I was actually starting to come around to The Bellas, who have at least been trying and doing some heeling in the ring with the "CHECK HER NOW!" stuff. But they regressed to utter worthlessness tonight with their yelling. But what was awesome is that they came off so completely pathetic during AJ's spiel. This was a professional wrestler cutting a promo that had reactions from a bunch of talentless hacks. What was even funnier is that Eva Marie girl trying to do the same but having absolutely no idea.

The Funakactyls were also worthless, especially the one who yawned and tossed her pom pom. Seriously, no one went over how they should react to this? The Funkadactyls chance in this is to tell AJ, "HOW DARE YOU! WE WORK JUST AS HARD AS YOU AND JUST BECAUSE WE'RE ON A HIGH-RATED TV SHOW ETC." and not "whatever, you're lame" like the Bellas.

This was great. It COULD sell pay-per-views or get attention. The only person out of this, though, with any worth is Nattie. This could be a great few months for the division but since everyone but AJ and Nattie is entirely worthless...

Know what's a good way to get over Daniel Bryan's new finisher? Let's not show it!!!

Don't they work with a five second delay? Maybe it looked bad on initial feed.
You mean the "Kobayashi" knee. We're being douchey and calling it that now.
  • Like 1

Speaking of HHH, he is basically the greatest troll ever. I have to give him credit, the past two weeks he has made me interested in the heel authority figure again. He comes across like a boss from a Sega Genesis beat em up; the shadowy evil corporate dude who you get to at the end and he rips off his shirt and it turns out he is tougher than all of his stooges. 

If I had a signature, this would be it.

• Like 4

I almost wonder if they have market research showing surprisingly little overlap between the audiences for Raw and Total Divas.  I doubt it, but if so, they could completely book for Raw and frame what happens on Total Divas in whatever context they want.

Kind of how they frame whatever happens on Smackdown however they want, since no one watches it.

Total Divas on Sunday did 1.35 million viewers, a drop of 19 percent from the prior week after ratings had risen for weeks two and three of the series.  The drop is very likely attributable to viewers lost because SummerSlam was going on at the same time. 

I would think a HUGE percentage of people who watch Raw were watching Summerslam at that point through hook or crook.

I love that the first few pages of this thread are almost always negative.  It's funny how some care so damn much about Raw that they just have to watch it live (despite how easy it is to skip the stuff you aren't interested in), but they absolutely 100% hate everything about it at the same time.  Of course there are a few who are skipping the show AND hating it.  So strange.

Call me an optimist or whatever, but that was just a really fun pro wrestling show.  

-AJ's slight pause after "suck" was fucking hysterical.  Great promo.  No clue where they are going with it, but I'm game.

-HHH is so perfect at this.  His lines are even better when I think about how badly some of you will take it.  Orton is a pretty damn good bad guy, too.  Shit-eating grin > the Orton pose.

-Bryan continues to be bat-shit crazy in the ring.  He doesn't have to be the smartest babyface because he is a fucking 5-8 reincarnation of the Ultimate Warrior.  No one can fire up like he can.  All this "the booking will kill him" talk is baffling to me.  The man is 1. A HEAT MAGNET 2. A deranged killing-machine that will fucking destroy you.

-Whoever said this version of Face Punk is a complete turn around from the last version is 100% correct.  Fired up Punk really plays well.  The segment went long, but the little moments with Heyman and Punk really made it.  I think it's really smart to keep the Punk and Bryan stories separated at this point.

Orton/Christian was fine, but they for sure have something better in them.  The matches from a few years ago were great, but I always thought they would play better with the heel/face alignment switched so that was kind of cool to see.  They should steal stuff from WWE.com more often because there is a bunch of cool promo work on there.  Other than that, not really interested in RVD/Del Rio or the Miz/Fandango/Cody stuff so, guess what, I skipped that stuff!!!  Want to hear something even crazier? I don't have an opinion about those segments, either.

• Like 3

I also think the AJ promo could have been one of those deals where the people in the ring knew she was going to cut a promo but didn't know what she was gonna say. Hence, why the Bellas didn't quite know how to react.

Wasn't the "Piggy James" promo with Mickie dressed as a pig LayCool did on Mickie James the same way?

I liked this show and got a great laugh out of HHH's "he's carrying it for me" line.  The AJ promo was fun.  Bryan looked great out there, and I also really liked the hulking up.  Not because I need "cartoon character selling", but because being allowed to hulk up in a WWE match is a bit of a status symbol and a sure sign that Bryan is percieved as a beast.

Maybe the "Iron Clad Contract!" stuff misses the point--we've already seen the faces get put in handicap matches when they questioned HHH's authority.  And none of them have much reason to like D-Bry.  So it's going to be endless squashes and burial for them even if they don't get outright fired.

I think Bryan ends up with the title and people still find something to be pissed about.  Some people are going to be whining if this ends with anything short of Bryan doing a Kai En Tai choppy choppy on Orton and HHH in the middle of the ring after submitting them both clean in a five second handicap match. 

I might have to avoid the weekly RAW threads until Bryan gets the title back, lest I stroke out.

Seriously, some of you guys are actually worried about Bryan getting "buried" when he's actually getting a Jesus Push? Daniel Bryan is dying for the sins of the WWE Universe in rejecting the McMahon's vision, and he'll be resurrected with the WWE title.

The faces not helping is to set Bryan's "I don't give a shit if I get fired" attitude apart. Does anyone really think Big Show, Ziggler, or Miz want to wrestle in high school gyms and theme parks? If the faces bum-rushed the ring, most of you would be bitching that everything was hot-shotted.

Big Show's "iron clad" contract expired, so he signed a new one with a more competant negotiator. There.

There will be a babyface revolt (which will hopefully finally lead to some elevation for a few guys) but you have to let that shit build.

Fuck, some of you guys are as bad as the people on CRZ's board who were predicting doom and gloom for Voldemort even after HE FUCKING WON THE RUMBLE FROM THE NUMBER ONE SPOT!

Going to stop here. I think one of my eyes is twitching.

• Like 3

Bryan also needs to vary his "hot tag" match portion.  I've seen three matches from him in the past month with the exact chain of moves leading to the finish.  He's getting to the "five moves of doom" level of repetition

Fuck, some of you guys are as bad as the people on CRZ's board who were predicting doom and gloom for Voldemort even after HE FUCKING WON THE RUMBLE FROM THE NUMBER ONE SPOT!

Well...they were right eventually.
  • Like 6

With the entire Face Roster weekly emasculation by Triple H going on, if they don't call his bluff in the next two weeks, does anyone care about Night of Champions and believe that it'll end in any other way than a Shield Beatdown ->  Orton RKO?  

• Like 1

With the entire Face Roster weekly emasculation by Triple H going on, if they don't call his bluff in the next two weeks, does anyone care about Night of Champions and believe that it'll end in any other way than a Shield Beatdown -> Orton RKO?

Of course we care, but we know that it will be three or four months before Bryan gets the belt.  Fans will be more into the angle if Bryan chases Orton.  That's classic Southern booking.

There simply aren't enough upper card heels to Hogan-book Bryan, put the title on him in three weeks, and have him face off against the Special Guest Villain of the Month until Cena is healthy.

Bryan won't get a title run until about two or three months before Cena returns to action.