DVDVR Message Board

The threat isn't that if you intervene you will get fired, the threat is that you will be beat down night after night if you get involved.  An ironclad contract won't save you from that.

That being said, I wish they could do an angle where Show, Henry, etc. get fired for rescuing Daniel Bryan, then show up on Smackdown under masks as new iteration of the Machines.

Please let this happen!

Show Machine and Henry Machine challenging The Shield would be the best thing ever.

The threat isn't that if you intervene you will get fired, the threat is that you will be beat down night after night if you get involved.  An ironclad contract won't save you from that.

That being said, I wish they could do an angle where Show, Henry, etc. get fired for rescuing Daniel Bryan, then show up on Smackdown under masks as new iteration of the Machines.

Please let this happen!

Show Machine and Henry Machine challenging The Shield would be the best thing ever.

Big Machine and the Worlds Strongest Machine.

Orton/Christian is always a great pairing, love their matches. Hope to see Orton cheating to win be used to follow up with Christian being one of the guys that eventually stands up with Big Show. Rollins bump on Bryan's dive was insane, that ruled.

Fantasy booking:

One thing the faces could do, bury the WWE title, call it worthless, then Bryan beats Del Rio, calling him the real "World Champ" and Orton just holds a "prop", leading to title vs title down the line, as Orton faces nothing but jobbers as the roster just refuses to give him a match (they walk out of matches, HHH says you walk out you fired, they get DQed, etc)

Payoff would be a unification match at WM.

The best part of Raw was Kofi's tweet "Well, if he's just gonna keep leaving his cars around..." 

AJ's promo was kinda funny, but I'm not sure what the point of burying Total Divas is. 

RVD looked awful in his match with Del Rio. He was whiffing on everything. I know a Ricardo turn at NOC would be super obvious, but if you want to make one of your faces look like a total dope, RVD is guy the do it to.

I don't mind the Punk/Heyman feud, but god damn Curtis Axel is the black hole of black holes when it comes to making shit interesting. I mean, that was no Show/ADR duct tape beatdown or anything, but damn if Curtis Axel didn't completely suck the life out of it with his stupid generic moves, his stupid generic look, and his stupid generic trash talk. I dare anyone to name one full-time wrestler on the roster that wouldn't have made that segment more interesting. Forget the Miz, Axel is easily the most useless guy on the roster.

Christian/Orton was a good match. Just two wily veterans trying to outmaneuver one another, and Orton put in a particularly good transition performance where he still used/tried to use a lot of his face spots, then eventually resorted to some mild cheating to win. The subversion of the "clothesline, clothesline, duck, powerslam" spot could've been executed better, but really nice work from both guys for the most part. The crowd reactions to Orton were perfect, just a faint hit of leftover cheers when he hit his signature spots, but most everyone behind Christian at the end.

Bryan/Rollins was another great match for those two, and I'm glad Rollins got another chance to shine. His bumps on the tope and the avalanche German were sick. Not that Bryan really needs the help, but that's how you put a guy over. The post-match stuff was pretty lame, but I'm not ready to write off Bryan's push or anything. If the writers wanna channel Austin/McMahon, they can have Bryan win the strap at NoC and continue the angle with him on top and "the man" trying to bring him back down.

I have absolutely no faith in the WWE given the title to Daniel Bryan or him gaining the upper-hand on the "Corporate Legacy." For one, Daniel Bryan is seen as too weak to do so and is not charismatic enough to do it. He's a great Everyman, but it's easy to see the writing on the walls with HHH's comment about "Randy Orton carrying the WWE title for him."

And AJ's promo was great -- I would love to believe that it will lead to great matches with her against Natalya and/or the Bellas, but Natalya has let her ring skills lapse and the Bellas are awful as wrestlers. AJ Lee burying Total Divas is pure Vince McMahon -- if he had a problem with her saying that, AJ's mic would have been cut off.

I don't mind the Punk/Heyman feud, but god damn Curtis Axel is the black hole of black holes when it comes to making shit interesting. I mean, that was no Show/ADR duct tape beatdown or anything, but damn if Curtis Axel didn't completely suck the life out of it with his stupid generic moves, his stupid generic look, and his stupid generic trash talk. I dare anyone to name one full-time wrestler on the roster that wouldn't have made that segment more interesting.

Zack Ryder, Sin Cara, Kofi Kingston, David Otunga, Justin Gabriel, Brodus Clay, Darren Young, Khali

Miz is also highly debatable.

I don't quite get the point of it but part of me is glad AJ dropped the mic at the end. Then she skipped out to her music and I'm not quite sure that was the right choice. On the other hand, picturing Punk skipping out after saying hi to Colt Cabana is a pretty funny image.

On one hand I'm not crazy about the booking. Bryan is coming off like a fool. All of the faces are coming off as cowards. On the other hand, the angle actually has some buzz and I'm very interested to see where this goes. So I guess it's working. 

The whole thing feels very similar to the summer of punk. After Nash took out Punk at Summerslam 11 there were weeks of pointless back and forth over whether HHH was behind it. The logical step and all signs pointed to HHH turning heel but they never pulled the trigger.

The HHH-Bryan angle is the reset. They are doing pretty much the same exact angle cept HHH turned heel on day one.

• Like 1

All I know is that our 10 year old is PISSED at HHH and The Shield. He's been watching wrestling for just over a year now, and I've never seen him get actually ANGRY at wrestling before. Last week when DB got beat up, he looked like the Miz Girl. Even when talking about it the next day he got all angry. When DB finally gets his revenge, he will mark out like mad, and it will be awesome.

• Like 14

On one hand I'm not crazy about the booking. Bryan is coming off like a fool. All of the faces are coming off as cowards. On the other hand, the angle actually has some buzz and I'm very interested to see where this goes. So I guess it's working. 

The whole thing feels very similar to the summer of punk. After Nash took out Punk at Summerslam 11 there were weeks of pointless back and forth over whether HHH was behind it. The logical step and all signs pointed to HHH turning heel but they never pulled the trigger.

The HHH-Bryan angle is the reset. They are doing pretty much the same exact angle cept HHH turned heel on day one.

I've been thinking the same thing. They had a lot of money handed to them for the Summer of Punk. A corporate HHH going against the new rebel Punk (who keeps on doing ComicCon stuff), who doesn't come back until HHH does something completely awful to lure him back was the way to run. But they screwed themselves and all that heat.It actually worked out better in the long run. Bryan's way better cast in the role. Punk would have been way too much like Austin since they're cut from the same cloth. I love Punk (and come from a similar music aesthetic) but he's an abrasive jerk and is better as a heel and/or what he's doing now. Bryan's a nerd like us. The best everyman they've ever had.

Which will make him getting buried when he gets blamed when the ratings start going down in a few weeks hurt all the more.

I'd like to be proved wrong, but history proves otherwise.

I really feel as though I am in opposite land today. I loved this show. I thought almost everything on it was watchable, with some things being actively great. Am I alone in thinking Orton/Christian was incredible? All of the standards spots felt so organic for once, and they really wrestled a match that showed off how well they know each other. I also dig Orton wrestling a more counter heavy style, almost like he is learning from HHH. Speaking of HHH, he is basically the greatest troll ever. I have to give him credit, the past two weeks he has made me interested in the heel authority figure again. He comes across like a boss from a Sega Genesis beat em up; the shadowy evil corporate dude who you get to at the end and he rips off his shirt and it turns out he is tougher than all of his stooges. 

Also, I have a feeling they were showing Miz on the ramp because he is going to be the first member of the roster to turn heel on Bryan and join up with nouveau corp. It would make sense story telling wise, character wise, and it would troll the shit out of the internet. 

Also, the gifted car really is the wrestling equivalent of Chekov's gun. 

• Like 2

All I know is that our 10 year old is PISSED at HHH and The Shield. He's been watching wrestling for just over a year now, and I've never seen him get actually ANGRY at wrestling before. Last week when DB got beat up, he looked like the Miz Girl. Even when talking about it the next day he got all angry. When DB finally gets his revenge, he will mark out like mad, and it will be awesome.

Please follow up on this.  I'll probably know because my lifeforce is largely renewed by the power of children marking out for pro wrestling, but I'd still like to hear about it.

I have noticed that there is not enough love here for Seth Rollins.  What the fuck, guys?

Seth needs tons of love, but really everybody in the Shield does.  The slow burn with them has been good.  Everyone complained about them feeling like "just another group" the last few months, but I think it was 1/2 "we dropped the ball with a long term plan" and 1/2 "go out there and keep these titles warm, have good matches, build your championship legacy, and we'll have something special for you soon".  I know nobody ever wants to give them credit for anything that works out, especially in the midst of it working out apparently, but none of the titles feel squandered to me and I think I know why.

Everyone gets "butthurt" (that's for you McLargeHuge) over non-title matches and especially non-title losses by champions.  For a group of old schoolers who spend all their free time pouring through VHS cassettes of Florida and Memphis matches I can understand the reaction.  But the new 24/7, 365 schedule of the company, coupled with the total product awareness of the fanbase don't allow for the absolutes of territorial booking.  Consider "legitimate" sports - a slippery slope, I know.  Now this won't be apples to apples exactly, as most will be much more inclined to compare to boxing and MMA, but the schedule of the 'E is more like an NBA or MLB season that never stops.  

Do the Heat win every game they play, even when it's not for the NBA championship?  No, but they do win a lot of them.  But as long as they're "good enough" to make it to the championship game(s), then they get to have an opportunity to win the championship.  Those games, with it all on the line, are the ones that matters.  The announcers actually do a pretty nuanced job of getting this general idea over in different ways.  Even last night it was RVD gets a chance at the PPV for the title, but only if he wins now.  So it's like an elimination game, and the only way to win the big one later is to stay in it now.  Nobody complains that "the Ravens stole the Steelers heat" because they beat them in the regular season and now nobody wants to see them in the Divisional round of the playoffs.  Fuck off.  They just want to see it even more.  I think there are a lot more people who are conditioned to that today than conditioned to some antiquated notion of slow builds and unique matchups.

I realize this is not some unique and important revelation, but it became crystal clear to me as I realized that I've been watching, and enjoying, and looking forward to the next, Christian/RVD/ADR match for over a month now.  All three are guys I could occassionally FF past without a second thought.  So yes, from someone who actually has watched 90% of the programming this year (and for years) and not just skimmed it, or read results before posting wildly intense opinions, the show is pretty fucking awesome.  What they are actually doing is filling the show with a ton of new exciting faces, and giving them time to do their thing.  They're featuring excellent in-ring quality, highlighting some extremely promising individuals, and even Triple fucking H is doing the best dickhead heel schtick in a long, long time.  (spoiler alert, it's because they're going to make DB a huge fucking star.)

My mid-show text to my best wrestling friends, "wrestling is the hot fucking tits again."  They were both enjoying the show.

• Like 5

Watched the AJ promo. I guess they expected there to be a lot more support for the Total Divas girls, and it didn't happen. It was a great promo in terms of words, but I don't know what it set out to do,