DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY (Series 2) - CHRIS MASTERS

RIPPA

Best in-ring babyface of the last ten years?

Non-Bayley?

Bayley is a better total package. I'm the crazy person who thinks her best performance in 2015 might have been in the Alexa match, too. I think she needs a few more matches under her belt before I say she's better concretely.

As for Maximo, half of why he's so good is because CMLL has eroded their tecnico fanbase so that it's a marvel that he gets over as well as he does, and it's a bit of a cheat since he's an exotico which is sort of its own animal.

The problem with Masters is that people love booking him as a heel. On paper, it makes more sense to bring him in as a heel. He could have been a babyface territory ace for years in the early 80s. He's that good. 

The Thatcher match is a pretty cool one, because not only do you see that Chris Masters is the world's best possible "ex-WWF guy brought into local indy to main event in 1993" but you also get to see how cool over the top heel Timothy Thatcher can be, which is something he never gets to show anymore due to his success with  the WoS tribute style.

I really hated Chris Masters when he first started because he was such an unconvincing heel even though he has the look of a heel.. and then he became an epic Superman babyface and I loved that dude like a brother.

What was the story with Masters getting cut? Did he burn any bridges or piss off any of the wrong people?

I remember his debut, getting out of the car and winking at Flair. I seem to remember thinking he was going to be in Evolution... Maybe replacing Randy? Was it around that time?

Then his debut bombed because nobody was buying the full nelson as a finish. He floated around getting some semi serious pushes (the tag team with Carlito) and out of nowhere he his the pec flex for Sharon Osborne and became a mega face! Who knew!!

Really hope he gets another go at the top level. He would be great in NXT as the next top face after Balor gets the call.

When he came in he was everything I hated about WWE at that time - big muscle freaks who couldn't work and had been brought in on image alone. Then they gave him the big gimmick and entrance and push and he didn't have the tools or finesse to back it up and it just didn't work.

IF they'd redone that initial push when they brought him back in 2009 he could have been a made man and would be headlining today (50/50 booking be damned). But alas, he was stuck on Superstars wrestling great TV matches instead. I've seen him become a mainstay for my local promotion (Preston City Wrestling) since then and seen how he interacts with the fans and works on a ground level and has only gone up in my estimation off the back of that