DVDVR Message Board

MILEY CYRUS THREAD OF DOOM

jaedmc

Someone on Grantland said it best. What Miley is doing is the equivalent of someone driving through a rough neighborhood and taking pictures to post on instagram to show how DANGEROUS and cool they are. She's surrounding herself with African-American women like "look how crazy and funny this is"

It's a mockery of things she doesn't understand.

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying she's asking to get raped.

If that's what you think then I don't think you understand anything :lol:

Someone on Grantland said it best. What Miley is doing is the equivalent of someone driving through a rough neighborhood and taking pictures to post on instagram to show how DANGEROUS and cool they are. She's surrounding herself with African-American women like "look how crazy and funny this is"

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying she's asking to get raped.

If that's what you think then I don't think you understand anything :lol:

I don't really think that, I just wanted to gratuitously inject rape into the discussion.

The only thing I found outrageous or offensive about any of this shit is that we've somehow talked about it for 4 pages.

What the hell are we turning into?

Let me make you feel like nothing has changed.

Please complete the following analogy:

Miley Cyrus is to twerking as Davey Richards is to _________.

Like I said in my first post racial related stuff is always different across the pond. I feel that in US there's a very specific relationship between white and black cultures.

Anyhow, when people bring the racial angle in the whole Miley thing, the only that's being said is: she's trying to emulate black people when shaking her ass (uh?) and that her backup dancers are black women.

And that's what I don't get.

The only thing I found outrageous or offensive about any of this shit is that we've somehow talked about it for 4 pages.

What the hell are we turning into?

The only thing I found offensive and outrageous was Justin Timberlake's hat.

The only thing I found outrageous or offensive about any of this shit is that we've somehow talked about it for 4 pages.What the hell are we turning into?

Let me make you feel like nothing has changed.Please complete the following analogy:Miley Cyrus is to twerking as Davey Richards is to _________.
Twerking
  • Like 1

Did you guys know something or other is happening in Syria?  I didn't because as a human being I'm of course only capable of being aware of one thing at a time.  It turns out that something is going on way over there, and apparently it's of greater importance than Miley's Twerking!  Thankfully every person on my Facebook and Twitter feeds clued me in to this fact.  If I hadn't seen every fucking person I know telling me how Miley Twerking shouldn't be a story because Syria I never would have known. 

• Like 2

I found the whole thing with Miley on VMA to be a ripoff of M.I.A.

I'm also surprised that if Miley really wanted to say 'screw it,' she would record an album of Belle & Sebastian, Jeff Buckley, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Scott Walker and other alternative indie acts' songs.

Her cover of "Lilac Wine" is surprisingly decent.

Interesting article, but there's a lot of things that I can't agree with, which is understandable since I'm not an Afro-American woman. Like I said, racial sensitive issues in the US always have specific factors that I wouldn't normally take into account.

One the points of the article is that the contrast between the back up dancers' black and rotund bodies and Miley's white skinny body is supposed to augment Miley's sexiness and desirability, which is weird because of all the "Miley has no ass, she's not sexy at all" backlash that popped even before her performance.

Another thing that really caught my attention is that on a body image related article the author writes such things as

I am not beautiful.
and
I am no real threat to white women’s desirability.
, which just feels strange and made me feel awkward.

I always have trouble to see the world in such a black/white fashion though and I think that warps my vision on such subjects.

Did you guys know something or other is happening in Syria? I didn't because as a human being I'm of course only capable of being aware of one thing at a time. It turns out that something is going on way over there, and apparently it's of greater importance than Miley's Twerking! Thankfully every person on my Facebook and Twitter feeds clued me in to this fact. If I hadn't seen every fucking person I know telling me how Miley Twerking shouldn't be a story because Syria I never would have known.

Miley twerking on things we should talk about
  • Like 1

Did you guys know something or other is happening in Syria?  I didn't because as a human being I'm of course only capable of being aware of one thing at a time.  It turns out that something is going on way over there, and apparently it's of greater importance than Miley's Twerking!  Thankfully every person on my Facebook and Twitter feeds clued me in to this fact.  If I hadn't seen every fucking person I know telling me how Miley Twerking shouldn't be a story because Syria I never would have known. 

This is why we need a politics folder.

This is why we need a politics folder.

So Gonzales can go on Anti-muslim tirades and BigFresh can naively believe that the Tea Party are a nice group of misunderstood, rational people?

Still need it.  All not having one does is spill over the more controversial stuff into the other forums.