DVDVR Message Board

MILEY CYRUS THREAD OF DOOM

jaedmc

So people aren't cluttering the Fuck You life thread.

I think we were talking about how Miley Cyrus has appropriated a small section of Black culture by cherry picking the stuff she saw on any number of music videos.

EDIT: And yes I'm aware that the only reason this news is to distract ua from Syria. But we can't talk about that.

I haven't talked to a guy today who thought it was "sexy". Shame this was the hot topic going around but I welcomed it because I've discussed Syria at length as well as it relates to my coursework. I sure as hell did not think it was sexy. I'm not bothered by what people called "lewd" behavior, really..  I'm more bothered by how she is as said "cherry-picking" certain aspects of urban culture either making a mockery out of it...or I don't even really know what.. I've discussed Miley fucking Cyrus far too much for one day.

I would love to hear about the whole black culture thing, specifically from our black users, because I didn't get that feeling at all from watching her music video but I'm not American and that shit always resonates different over there.

The whole "omg this girl must have deep issues" bullshit gets really annoying and I don't really get it, mostly because the over-sexualization is so common among pop stars but Miley's seems to bring all that suppressed just below the surface slut-shaming hate. Weird.

Maybe making fun of skinny white girls is totally ok by today's standards.

I'm more bothered by how she is as said "cherry-picking" certain aspects of urban culture either making a mockery out of it...or I don't even really know what.. I've discussed Miley fucking Cyrus far too much for one day.

I really am not sure about any of this and find it to be a far more fascinating conversation than her music or the lewdness of her behavior.

Well, I hate the whole ask a black dude aspect of this, but I'll comment.  I find this whole thing fucking retarded.  If Miley Cyrus had an ass, I'd be cool with it, but unfortunately she suffers from a severe case of Nassatol that makes this whole thing kind of sad.  If you think that Miley Cyrus shaking her ass is some sort of offensive theft of black culture, I'm going to have to disagree. 

I constantly get into these retarded conversations about how hip-hop is destroying the black community.  How white people are stealing hip-hop, and all types of other bullshit.  The issue that I have is based on the fact that hip-hop is probably the most culturally diverse artistic movement in history.  Yet, somehow we turned every conversation about hip-hop into some sort of equivalency to black culture as a whole.  The issues that people have with black culture always seem to get attributed to hip-hop when in my experience the two things are not even remotely related.  Twerking is something that has been going on for a while now, but absolutely no one(other than me and my fellow pervs) gave a rat's ass when it was going on in a rap video.  But when this little skinny white chick, with a -3 on the booty to back differential scale, does it it is somehow an affront to the culture.  I think people's issue with Miley has more to do with Miley being the former Disney star with a country singer for a father than her robbing black people of their culture.  Somehow the same people who argue that these dances are causing the destruction of the black family, want to take ownership of the dance once someone else does it.  She isn't stealing black culture, she is taking part of something that wasn't exclusive to one group in the first place. I'm only offended by the fact that it used to be a dance done exclusively by women with nice asses, and she is fucking it up for everyone.

• Like 3

The whole "omg this girl must have deep issues" bullshit gets really annoying and I don't really get it, mostly because the over-sexualization is so common among pop stars but Miley's seems to bring all that suppressed just below the surface slut-shaming hate. Weird.

I think the Miley thing is getting so much attention because of how genuinely off-the-rails it felt. As mentioned, this is far from the first time we've seen a wholesome teenybopper make a sexed up transition to adulthood. But however "shocking" those moments are intended to be, they also tend to feel safe. They're all quite clearly the result of heavy collaboration between publicists and image consultants and choreographers, et al - every gyration scientifically calibrated, every costume measured precisely within an eighth of an inch to ensure the most desirable amount of cleavage and ass cheek is exposed.Whatever the hell happened at the VMAs did not feel like that at all. It barely seemed choreographed at all. She just kept doing the same two or three things over again (sticking her tongue out, twerking, gesturing at her crotch). I mean, compare that with Britney Spears' "scandalous" coming out party at the VMAs a decade before when she wore that flesh-tone deal, played with a snake, sang about being a slave, etc. Night and day. One looked like a professional performance, one looked like somebody who needs help.Have you ever been to a party or out on the town and seen that one guy who gets some drinks in him and decides he's the life of the party and he just keeps telling the same joke over and over again and laughing his ass off at himself? That's kinda what this felt like to me.I don't know. Maybe she's the best worker of all the pop stars, but I doubt it.

So it seems we have 2 different opinions:

- She's off the rails.

- She's just trying to hard.

Honestly I feel that people that think she's off the rails are being worked, hard, anyhow I still the reaction against it is way too ridiculous.

Glad to see that the whole "ripping on black culture" is more a white people going overly politically correct than anything substantial.

I thought this article from the A.V. club was really interesting: http://www.avclub.com/articles/world-stunned-by-girl-in-underwear-at-mtv-video-mu,102080/

I really think that she's just going through that phase like when former fat people lose all the weight and suddenly start wearing clothing that's way too tight. She was sheltered in her role as a tween star, and now that she's allowed to - she's going so far in the other direction to overcompensate. She'll level out sooner or later.

The fact that she's 20 doesn't help either. Most early-20's kids are pretty nuts as a rule, even without a camera following their every move.

I also think she's still going through some rough times with her on-again-off-again boyfriend, the less cool, non-Thor, Hemsworth brother. Young people do crazy stuff when they're lovesick. But, since he is said less cool Hemsworth brother - I really haven't paid too close attention to what issues they're going through at the moment to speculate further.

YOU GUYS ARE BETTER THAN THIS!!!! ...well, some of you.

You don't find how people interpret popular culture interesting? I do. Even when it's stuff I don't really care about, I am truly fascinated by how people are affected by the mainstream images they're bombarded with daily.