DVDVR Message Board

Your 2016 INTERNET MATCH OF THE YEAR thread!

DEAN

Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay

Drew Gulak vs. Tracy Williams

Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Yukio Sakaguchi

This was a fun little match in my opinion. In a year, where everyone's been loving guys like Shibata, Riddle and Tommy End, not enough people are talking about Yukio Sakaguchi. I don't expect much from Takayama in the year 2016, but he's a surprisingly good Goliath to Sakaguchi's not-quite David in this match.

EDIT: Just noticed the Youtube version doesn't have sound. Watch it on Rutube or the other place. It's on the DDT 11/23/16 show.

BJW 18/12/16 - Twin Towers vs Suzuki/Nomura.  Can also be found on rutube when this youtube channel gets got. Nomura is at that point where he's allowed to kick out of things, which really just means he has to endure more of the crushing violence dished out by the Towers. Suzuki is magical, as ever. Check out his match against Hikaru Sato on the fantastic October Hard Hit show too.

Since my net time got upped (I am on the XXL plan now, like my shirt size) I have time to watch some of these, and as DEAN isn't doing it I'm gonna watch the matches he probably would but isn't. 

HIDEKI SUZUKI/TAKUYA NOMURA VS. KOHEI SATO/SHUJI ISHIKAWA (BIG JAPAN 12/18/16)

As an appetizer for what I watched next, this was pretty choice. It's all about poor skinny Nomura trying to hang with the big boys, and by big we're talking about the Twin freakin' Towers. To use a very Dean-esque analogy, this is like Nomura took their niece out and she came back late and drunk and reeking of cigarette smoke, and the Towers are the two redneck uncles who are gonna beat some sense into Nomura because their stupid-ass brother is too much of a pansy and just grounded the kid for a week. Nomura gamely comes at them but every time he does one of their strikes betters three of his. He gets dropped like about a thousand times in the course of this in violent fashion. Eventually there's some suplexes from Suzuki and Sato's arm gets hurt (which he sells magnificently) but you know how this ends up. At the end Nomura swats away the handshake like the angry young punk he is to go tend to his wounds and fantasize about cutting the tires on his uncles' identical Ford F-150s. 

DAISUKE SEKIMOTO/YUJI OKAYABASHI VS. THE BODYGUARD/ZEUS (AJPW ?)

Puro just gets more and more bizarre: you have a Big Japan team fighting an Osaka Pro team for the All Asia (I think) titles and Kobashi is on commentary. 2016 in a nutshell, folks. Anyway, this is ridiculously entertaining. Nearly every moment is filled with grimacing and yelling and giant slabs of human beef smacking into each other. The Bodyguard probably has a tattoo of Midbreath Gym's logo hidden somewhere on his body and the rest of these guys are just as big (Zeus being the most slender, but still insanely ripped) so they do what you would expect: tests of strength, spears, a mean Camel Clutch, dual suplexes, and the meat-chopping that is these guys bread and butter. Zeus has a cool Master Lock that he turns into a horrifying Dragon Suplex. Sekimoto decides to trump that by taking onto the apron and suplexing him on the corner of the apron then rolling off onto the floor with him, which surely did wonders for both mens' spines. It's good to see Oka back in action and Osaka Pro surprisingly gets the duke after an absurd Doomsday Device and a Jackhammer, just to throw another couple power wrestler references in. Bodyguard even shakes the ropes like the Ultimate Warrior! 

Oh yeah, I forgot, Zeus and Sekimoto also do a suplex-off where they stay locked together and suplex each other over and over and over again until Zeus finally wins with a toprope suplex. It's all as muscle-y and yell-y as you think. 

On 1/4/2017 at 8:52 AM, RIPPA said:

Andy Dalton and Scorpio Sky being on anything labelled as the "future" amuses me

Andy is a guy that if he was 5 inches taller would be somewhere on tv each week. But yeah he has been around what at least 8 years now? I know 5 years ago he was headlining NWA BIW shows in my town.

I haven't watched this yet, but if anyone's curious, here's Alberto del Rio's match from Austria after which he got into a barfight and beat up his own brother at a police station:

In the main event of that show Chris "Bambikiller" Raaber defended seven Championships against Joe Doering, who defended one championship. Amongst those titles are championships from Italy, Cameroon, Colombia, Nigeria and Quatar. I'm only posting this, because I think it's hilarious:

Hmmm, maybe he decided to get one in before going back to Japan. This was what I read on Wiki

Doering was scheduled to return to All Japan at the 2016 Champion Carnival, but was forced to pull out of the tournament after being diagnosed with a brain tumor.[41] On November 27, Doering made an appearance at All Japan's show in Ryōgoku Kokugikan, announcing he would return to the ring in January 2017.[42] His return match took place on January 2, when he, Hikaru Sato and Suwama defeated Jake Lee, Kento Miyahara and Naoya Nomura in a six-man tag team match.[43]

Either way, long as he's back it's good news. Now, what matches of his should I watch? Now that I've got all this net time I can actually check some out.

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Either way, long as he's back it's good news. Now, what matches of his should I watch? Now that I've got all this net time I can actually check some out.

I don't watch that much AJPW, better ask someone like Kevin Wilson.

One of the rare Low Ki matches of 2016 just appeared on the Internet:

He finally seems to be taking some bookings again. Will he have had enough matches by the end of February to be included in Marh Madness?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 9:12 AM, RIPPA said:

Beyond posted the Hero/Lee match to promote their second match coming Rumble weekend

Hey, guess what? This is another 

MATCH THAT DEAN SHOULD REALLY FUCKING WATCH~! (and you too Dear Reader)

The extent I've seen of Keith Lee is him and his partner stomping ass in ROH then going after War Machine on one of the very few times I've seen ROH last year. Immediately I was enthralled, not just by his ass-stomping but his FACE. This guy has one of the best faces for the business ever. Just look at the screencap! That is him when he's angry, otherwise he has this look of, as the announcers mention, total confidence, yet bordering on arrogance with a sense of humor about it, like "you are really going to fight me? Seriously?" He also has perfect expressions for selling to boot which on top of his skill (and the fact that he's handsome as a motherfucker) is going to make him a big name very soon, mark my words. In ring he comes off like a Vader/Aja Kong type, the vulnerable beast who will eat a ton of shots and sell for you but in the blink of an eye will crush your bones to make his bread. And this is what our old buddy Hero has to fight against. There's some great shit-talking and after that it's a story of established pro trying to get one in on the young guy, who sometimes is smart to his ways but takes too many chances, gives the old guy too many breaks, and pays for it. Hero pays too though -- the POUNCE~!, the Last Ride Liger Bomb, and whatever the move was that was basically a Death Valley Driver into a ribcage-crushing full-weight slam like a Jackhammer, which is something I've never seen before and would put lesser men in the hospital, are devastating. Maybe too many elbows, but still a great match. Also, if I was in the crowd on the apron like that and one of these wildebeests would have come outside the ropes, I would have run.