DVDVR Message Board

The EVERYONE IS LEAVING NEW JAPAN!!! Thread

RIPPA

I'd be a terrible booker. 

Being honest, most of my ideas for angles would be awful.  I'd book territory guys simply because I loved them in the 80's and was oblivious to the fact that, in 2015, they could barely waddle to the ring without risking a cardiac event.  Pushes would be dependent on whims.  For my first PPV, I'd push dog lovers heavily and barely allow cat lovers on tv.  Oh, and if the promotion somehow managed to have a positive balance in its bank account, I'd spend money like a drunken monkey.  Eric Bischoff would email me weekly to complain I was wasting money.

I'd probably also let Paul Heyman convince me to hire him and put him in charge of the company's finances.  He can be in charge of payroll.  He has experience making sure talent gets paid on time.

On the plus side, I'd only push the Stud Stable if it were the Continental crew and gimmicks, not the WCW guys.  So I'd probably be slightly more likely to succeed in 2016 than Ben.

I'd be a terrible booker. 

Being honest, most of my ideas for angles would be awful.  I'd book territory guys simply because I loved them in the 80's and was oblivious to the fact that, in 2015, they could barely waddle to the ring without risking a cardiac event.  Pushes would be dependent on whims.  For my first PPV, I'd push dog lovers heavily and barely allow cat lovers on tv.  Oh, and if the promotion somehow managed to have a positive balance in its bank account, I'd spend money like a drunken monkey.  Eric Bischoff would email me weekly to complain I was wasting money.

I'd probably also let Paul Heyman convince me to hire him and put him in charge of the company's finances.  He can be in charge of payroll.  He has experience making sure talent gets paid on time.

On the plus side, I'd only push the Stud Stable if it were the Continental crew and gimmicks, not the WCW guys.  So I'd probably be slightly more likely to succeed in 2016 than Ben.

Still better than Russo. . . .

• Like 1

I have became wise enough to know I do not have the knowledge or desire to book the WWE. I would, however, put almost all of my focus into making the Wyatts cool again for at least the first month. Outside of that, no real plans.

To the main point, my problem with bringing Nak and Styles to the main roster is I have 0 faith in the booking of either. Also, If they sign now, they should have plans at Mania. Are they going Styles/Cena and Nakamura/Taker? Cause I can't think of any other matches I can reasonably see them running.

• Like 1

Well Meltzer basically hinted that one or two of the guys could/would show up at the Rumble

But it could easily be a "Hey Cool! That guy!" moment and then bringing them back in in the summer to build for Summerslam

I'm genuinely interested to see what the reaction to Styles would be if he was a Royal Rumble surprise. Some people would obviously know him but I don't know quite to what extent.

Personally I'd like them to give Daniel Bryan's Smackdown Ace idea to Styles but he's not going to be over enough to carry a show right away. Or maybe he will be?

Pretty certain that most people here could book WWE better than it's booked, but that's because their goals would be different. No one booking WWE is trying to just make a good pro wrestling show, or get the product hot, or create stars, or whatever. They have pretty specific goals that they generally hit. Same is true with the announcing. It achieves what they want to achieve (and given the new sponsors, who knows?)

I'm genuinely interested to see what the reaction to Styles would be if he was a Royal Rumble surprise. Some people would obviously know him but I don't know quite to what extent.

Personally I'd like them to give Daniel Bryan's Smackdown Ace idea to Styles but he's not going to be over enough to carry a show right away. Or maybe he will be?

He'd get a fantastic (phenomenal?) reaction because of the type of crowd the Rumble attracts these days.

WWE would be easy to book because there is not much to work with and you'd be objective about what goes down.  Just do your best not to sell angles past their freshness date while trying not to bury workers too much. 

I would at least try my best to create the illusion that wins and losses and champions and title shots matter.

I'd be terrified to book NXT because there are so many workers there that I respect and admire and I would be overwhelmed racking my brains about how to put over one guy clean without killing the other.  I love Dusty but I hate Dusty finishes. 

Some matches need a clear winner and a clear loser, so there will always have to come blow-off end to a feud where someone needs to get pinned or tap out.  The problem with RAW and Smackdown now is that feuds are always in a state of being recycled and never seem to end, so there are no new faces or heels being elevated to become potential challengers.

I would've been embarrassed to go to a guy like James Storm and tell him, "There's nothing for you to do here," and ship him back to TNA.  Your job as the book is to find something for him to be involved in and let his ridiculous charisma do the rest.

Rumble is in Orlando - which would probably be the best place for AJ to debut

Alternatively, they could debut him with Zeb as an Oregon militia member. 

I'm just saying. It's well within his dramatic range.

LOL My thoughts exactly.  I was wondering if we weren't all just mixed up and AJ wasn't actually leaving for WWE but rather leaving to join his brothers in fighting tyranny.

Smackdown starts on USA soon so I'm thinking there could be some call ups or a brand split happening. I could see AJ being Balor's replacement when he gets the call. I still think the best way to go with NXT call ups is to be on Smackdown first, and once they get over there then they can be moved to Raw. That formula worked for many of the most popular guys over the past 10-12 years. I'm not sure just because AJ and Nakamura will make "main roster money" that means they are debuting on the main roster. NXT is a really hot ticket right now, and if they keep most of their current roster along with the New Japan guys they will be out drawing the main roster house shows by summer.

If TNA had that kind of fan base they wouldn't be on POP. . . .

What I'm saying is the Full Sail crowd is in large part the same crowd from the Impact Zone back in the day. They will rep NXT because it's the cool thing right now and TNA is dogshit, but it's the same people

I can see Vince loving Nakamura because he's so weird. I'd be more concerned about Nakamura if he were a normal great wrestler guy but he's not.

Nak also speaks English and has INSANE charisma. You can't teach that.

• Like 1