DVDVR Message Board

The EVERYONE IS LEAVING NEW JAPAN!!! Thread

RIPPA

Sin Cara? He sucked from the beginning there was no repairing possible.

Nakamura is the complete opposite! And with Kevin Owens he would have an opponent he knows in the IC Title picture.

This is a pretty goofy post. You're saying that Mistico, based on his pre-2011 work, drawing, and impact, wasn't a good pick on paper for WWE to sign? They strike me as fairly similar cases save for the fact that he was 6 years younger or so and was a bigger deal in his home country. 

Nakamura could be the complete opposite (I'm not saying Mistico is better than him, just that he was an equally good, if not better, signing for WWE on paper). We don't know yet. A lot of it will come down to how he's used and how he's perceived. 

• Like 1

The idea of Nakamura in main roster WWE keeps giving me Tajiri vibes. Like, in as much as a Japanese dude who got really over.

EDIT: Also, I read that Cody Hall attempted to make the save for AJ along with Gallows and Anderson. I can't imagine them NOT wanting Cody at some point, so it'd make sense.

I don't really get why people would even want him off of NXT at this point. That'd probably mean one quasi squash a month, one more featured match a month, and then a big match every 3 months or so, plus whatever house show footage gets fancammed. He'd be used well, would have a good variety of opponents, and a decent amount of people would get a chance to see him live. He'd be protected. His strengths would be generally highlighted. He'd have an appreciative, respectful crowd that cared about his matches and were excited to see him and announcers that got wholly behind him. 

NXT is a good thing. Why does anyone want any wrestler up on the main roster at this point except for schadenfreude? (I kind of want Finn up there). 

This is me. I'd be thrilled to have Nak show up in NXT and stay in NXT. With the current state of the main roster product, he'd be a c-show guy within in 6 months.

I wish all four guys would be in NXT only, but for AJ and Nak, it's likely a money issue, and I'm guessing they'll be making too much money to stick around in NXT. 

That, and HHH still needs to play ball with his father in law. Something tells me that Vince couldn't know less about NJPW, but if AJ, Nak, Gallows and Anderson were all brought into NXT, it would probably raise some eyebrows. Vince isn't going to allow for the appearance of any kind of power struggle.

Those are just my shitty opinions, so what do I know. What I want is those 4 in NXT, but the struggle is real between wanting that and wanting Nakamura to feud with guys at the top.

I'm also curious how reactionary this is to Cena taking more time off, Orton being on the shelf for who knows how long, DB possibly being done, etc.

As with everything, we'll see. Following WWE, at least the main roster, is a lot like Charlie Brown and Lucy, where you just want to kick that football so bad and you want to believe so bad that Lucy is not going to pull the football away.

• Like 1

The idea of Nakamura in main roster WWE keeps giving me Tajiri vibes. Like, in as much as a Japanese dude who got really over.

EDIT: Also, I read that Cody Hall attempted to make the save for AJ along with Gallows and Anderson. I can't imagine them NOT wanting Cody at some point, so it'd make sense.

Yoshi Tatsu got over pretty strong as well... it helped that they did a dandy job of protecting him up until ECW folded. He was one of the best-booked guys there for my money.

• Like 1

That, and HHH still needs to play ball with his father in law. Something tells me that Vince couldn't know less about NJPW, but if AJ, Nak, Gallows and Anderson were all brought into NXT, it would probably raise some eyebrows.

If those guys showed up on NXT I would never watch RAW or Smackdown again until they showed up on the main roster.  Lots of people share my sentiment and I think Vince knows that too.

I think the winning move is for Vince to stop thinking of NXT as the FCW feeder league to syndication and think of NXT as the thing that sells subscriptions to WWE Network.

• Like 2

That, and HHH still needs to play ball with his father in law. Something tells me that Vince couldn't know less about NJPW, but if AJ, Nak, Gallows and Anderson were all brought into NXT, it would probably raise some eyebrows.

If those guys showed up on NXT I would never watch RAW or Smackdown again until they showed up on the main roster.  Lots of people share my sentiment and I think Vince knows that too.

I think the winning move is for Vince to stop thinking of NXT as the FCW feeder league to syndication and think of NXT as the thing that sells subscriptions to WWE Network.

Not to derail this thread or anything, but I agree with you, regarding using NXT to sell subscriptions, but Vince is likely going to take things like NXT selling out in Brooklyn, insanely fast sellouts for venues hosting NXT, and big roster moves like signing top international talent as someone challenging the throne. I'm sure NXT is still flying under the radar for now, but sooner or later, those insecurities born from Vince's own actions from when he was younger are going to bubble up to the surface. NXT is the only reason why I have the Network subscription, which is stupid, because I also have Hulu Plus.

When you make something exclusive, you make the means of access seem special.  Stacking the NXT roster and treating it like its own fed would add value to The WWE Network.  You would feel like you were making an investment in something worth having.

If I were the book, you'd never see Finn Balor vs. Nak for the NXT title unless you had a WWE Network subscription.  I'd make the pre-match buzz unbearable to resist and I'd never put them on RAW or Smackdown unless it was worth it to cross promote something for the next NXT Takeover.

• Like 1

Not to derail this thread or anything, but I agree with you, regarding using NXT to sell subscriptions, but Vince is likely going to take things like NXT selling out in Brooklyn, insanely fast sellouts for venues hosting NXT, and big roster moves like signing top international talent as someone challenging the throne. I'm sure NXT is still flying under the radar for now, but sooner or later, those insecurities born from Vince's own actions from when he was younger are going to bubble up to the surface. NXT is the only reason why I have the Network subscription, which is stupid, because I also have Hulu Plus.

I'll double down on this one. The moment Vince decided to malign NXT with the stink that is currently all over the main roster shows, I lose interest. Look, I dig watching Manny Fernandez potato jobbers...but not 9.99 worth.

Umm...I don't watch Raw or Smackdown now.  I hope they go to NXT and stay forever.  If things stay the way they are I'll never watch Raw or Smackdown again, they are in the same boat as TNA as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Yoshi Tatsu got over pretty strong as well... it helped that they did a dandy job of protecting him up until ECW folded. He was one of the best-booked guys there for my money.

I don't remember him getting any reactions at all, in ECW or on whichever brand he rarely showed up on after that.

AJ Styles has already been removed from all upcoming ROH shows he was scheduled for.

His appearances for 5 Star Wrestling and Revolution Pro later this month are still happening apparently. All of those are before the Royal Rumble, though, so there could be something to the rumor of him debuting at the Rumble.

AJ Styles has already been removed from all upcoming ROH shows he was scheduled for.

His appearances for 5 Star Wrestling and Revolution Pro later this month are still happening apparently. All of those are before the Royal Rumble, though, so there could be something to the rumor of him debuting at the Rumble.

Vince has actually been quite good about letting guys honor their indy commitments before (and even after) coming in, so there's that.

Was looking forward to seeing AJ in Vegas in February. Only seen him live once last year at the ROH anniversary show. Him and ACH had an awesome match. Big AJ Styles fan never went to the handful of TNA house shows TNA ran out here in Washington but if AJ did sign to WWE i'm going to see him live a lot more. 

AJ is the one person who doesn't have to "learn the WWE style" (for a number of reasons)

I mean I doubt anyone in the company remembers it but they have footage of him in WCW

He is like Sting in that he is enough of a "name" who worked "traditional" places that they could debut him at the Rumble and no one would bat an eye

(And since I clearly have to make sure I explain every point - I am not saying he is at Sting's level just in the list of guys who could do it. As we said - he is pretty much the "biggest" name to work WCW and not WWE left)

• Like 1

If I were the book,

JT - I love you - but if you had the book, the promotion would be out of business before the school year ended.

Granted - that is longer than I think anyone else who reads this board would have.

• Like 3

I mean I doubt anyone in the company remembers it but they have footage of him in WCW

I think he was in one of those WWE.com "Five Guys You Didn't Know Were in the WWE" clips that showed guys in Velocity squash matches.

If I were the book,

JT - I love you - but if you had the book, the promotion would be out of business before the school year ended.

Please, the cards you and I have come up with off of the top of our heads in Xbox Live chat while being shot at by Collectors in ME3 co-op would sell out any arena in the world. 

I have GREAT IDEAS~!  My NXT Takeover dream card would make a million billion dollars. I would at least have found something interesting for James Storm to do.

If I were the book,

Granted - that is longer than I think anyone else who reads this board would have.

Even Ben?

If I were the book,

Even Ben?

Fuck he'd need a backer with very deep pockets. Not even Turner could afford a Steel Davey Richards.