DVDVR Message Board

The EVERYONE IS LEAVING NEW JAPAN!!! Thread

RIPPA

Since clearly everyone loves them some me and only cares about their owns posts or is going to deny that folks are signing with the WWE because they didn't debut on RAW yet - here is a centralized thread. This is also because people are lazy and don't look at 98% of the board but feel really comfortable with throwing around DVDVR GROUP THINK~!

In a surprise move Monday, WWE have reportedly signed former IWGP and TNA Champion AJ Styles, former IWGP Champion Shinsuke Nakamura, Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson away from New Japan Pro Wrestling, discussed by Dave Meltzer on today’s Wrestling Observer Radio after news broke today on Court Bauer's MLW Radio.

The story goes is that the four went to Gedo, the current booker of NJPW, at this morning’s WrestleKingdom 10 event and said that they would be finishing up. It’s not known when any of these four will start with WWE, but it was said that Nakamura would not be leaving quickly. He is currently the IWGP Intercontinental champion, and it’s said to be a scenario opposite of current WWE U.S. Champion Alberto del Rio where he’ll most likely drop the title before leaving.

Anderson was also apparently close to coming to TNA, but the story goes is that once the WWE deal came, things changed.

In terms of contract situations, New Japan has a one year contract system that usually expires in January, so them giving notice coincides with that. Styles did not have a New Japan contract. 

Nakamura, Anderson and Gallows are all expected to honor their Ring of Honor dates next month in Las Vegas. Dave also reported that AJ Styles was likely done with Ring of Honor going forward.

Nakamura has been working with New Japan since his debut in 2002, rising up the NJPW ranks quickly, winning the IWGP championship one year after his debut. His popularity has skyrocketed in recent years, developing a more charismatic character and can be attributed to NJPW’s recent success. Styles had been working with New Japan since 2014, delivering a number of excellent performances, including one with Nakamura this morning. Anderson has been a part of New Japan since 2008, teaming with various people over the years including Giant Bernard (the former Albert/A-Train/Tensai, now head coach of NXT), Hirooki Goto and Doc Gallows, who started partnering with him in 2013.

If there's more news on this situation, it will be discussed on the late Monday edition of Wrestling Observer Radio.

• Like 2

So I have a question for those people who may know the inner workings of "Gaijin NJPW". Isn't Karl Anderson the English contact booker for NJPW? 

With his departure, wont that leave them slightly off kilter regards contact/experience/contracts?

From my own selfish standpoint, I'd love to see a Nakamura Joe or a Bullet club / mechanics encounter

Didn't expect to wake up to this. Started following NJPW regularly in 2012 and thought Shinsuke Nakamura would always remain there. The King of Swag. AJ Styles was the big name from the Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and Samoa Joe independent days who hadn't signed with WWE till now.

Well, they just did something major at New Japan.

Kenny Omega pinned Nakamura in a tag match and then turned against his tag partner AJ Styles. Then the entire Bullet Club came to the ring and also turned on Styles. Seems like Omega is the new leader of the Bullet Club. Omega then challenged Nakamura for the IC title. After everyone else left, AJ stood up and bowed to the audience. Certainly seems like his last appearance for the promotion.

Styles I could see getting to the main roster in time for the Royal Rumble. Anderson/Gallows probably stick around long enough to put over whatever gaijin tag team NJPW is going to replace them with. Nakamura I doubt we see anytime soon. He'll have to drop the title first, then probably go to NXT to learn WWE style (and probably learn english too, unless he's already fluent). I dread seeing what dumb name they saddle Nakamura with. 

• Like 1

Definitely feels like a move to cement NXT as a touring brand for 2016. 

Frankly, I think we're just about to the point where most major cities have 8000 people who will spend money just for the right to serenade Bayley anyway, but probably best to stack the deck.

• Like 1

Everyone apparently means four people now. Unless the joke is Rippa is attempting to get a job at Gawker I've never seen such an over reaction.

For what it's worth I've heard that Styles and Nakamura aren't going to NXT and that Styles was going to be #30 but who the fuck knows.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

P much my reaction.  Motherfuck the idea of Shinsuke in WWE.

He's in such a tough spot.  He's too good to be "stuck" in NXT, but he'll never be pushed as a top guy on the main roster, even though he's better than literally everyone they have.

• Like 2

I don't really get why people would even want him off of NXT at this point. That'd probably mean one quasi squash a month, one more featured match a month, and then a big match every 3 months or so, plus whatever house show footage gets fancammed. He'd be used well, would have a good variety of opponents, and a decent amount of people would get a chance to see him live. He'd be protected. His strengths would be generally highlighted. He'd have an appreciative, respectful crowd that cared about his matches and were excited to see him and announcers that got wholly behind him. 

NXT is a good thing. Why does anyone want any wrestler up on the main roster at this point except for schadenfreude? (I kind of want Finn up there). 

• Like 9

How is Nak going to be working a program opposite of Del Rio?  Shouldn't Nak be working in a program with The League of Nations?  You'd think that stable would also be a good fit for Anderson but maybe I am being too logical?

And ain't Cesaro from Switzerland???????????

Everyone apparently means four people now. Unless the joke is Rippa is attempting to get a job at Gawker I've never seen such an over reaction.

For what it's worth I've heard that Styles and Nakamura aren't going to NXT and that Styles was going to be #30 but who the fuck knows.

They sent Balor and Itami to NXT, there's no reason the others would be fast-tracked. Got a source for your rumblings?

And you're right, it isn't literally everyone that works for New Japan coming to work for WWE. Fucked up, RIPPA.

They sent Balor and Itami to NXT, there's no reason the others would be fast-tracked. Got a source for your rumblings?

And you're right, it isn't literally everyone that works for New Japan coming to work for WWE. Fucked up, RIPPA.

Not only that but they made Itami, Balor and Owens sit out the first month and watch, just like anyone else new to the program. 

Clearly it should be titled

FOUR GUYS AND FOUR GUYS ONLY ARE LEAVING NEW JAPAN BECAUSE MAX DOESNT UNDERSTAND HYPERBOLE BUT ITS COOL BECAUSE THOSE FOUR GUYS - AND ONLY THOSE FOUR GUYS - TOTALLY MEAN NOTHING TO THE COMPANY SO NO BIGGIE~!

• Like 23

It's no slight to be sent to NXT. Even the best of the best, to which Nakamura certainly belongs to, need some time to get acclimated to the WWE style.

They rushed the original Sin Cara to the main roster and in retrospect, that was a poor decision.

Also, how good is his English? Just for that reason alone, it would probably be a good idea to hold him back for a while.

Styles I could see getting to the main roster in time for the Royal Rumble. Anderson/Gallows probably stick around long enough to put over whatever gaijin tag team NJPW is going to replace them with. Nakamura I doubt we see anytime soon. He'll have to drop the title first, then probably go to NXT to learn WWE style (and probably learn english too, unless he's already fluent). I dread seeing what dumb name they saddle Nakamura with.

Nakamura speaks English. Jim Ross talked about that on his podcast last year after doing Wrestle Kingdom 9. No idea how thick his accent is, though. If he goes to the main roster, they should just let Heyman be his manager. Imagine Paul E hyping up Nakamura the way he does Brock.

• Like 3

So I have a question for those people who may know the inner workings of "Gaijin NJPW". Isn't Karl Anderson the English contact booker for NJPW? 

With his departure, wont that leave them slightly off kilter regards contact/experience/contracts?

I assume Anderson is replaced in this regard by Rocky Romero.

Luke Harper needs to see the light and tag with Dean Ambrose and they need to face off against heel Balor and heel Nak.

Million Billion Stars and the worst guy in the ring would probably be Ambrose unless he went back to using half of Steve Regals moveset and actually chain wrestled for a change.