DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

It also makes no sense from a logic stand point. It's not like NXT is portrayed as an outside company. It airs on the WWE Network, everyone is acknowledged as WWE talent, it has WWE logos all over the show. There is no reason to "invade", because they all work for the same guy. The angle would be dead before it even starts.

You could have the NXT guys play the "You're Holding Us Down" card.

You could. That would also make no sense considering NXT is the showpiece of the WWE Network, with its stars and history getting promoted on Raw every week.

"You're holding us back by letting us perform in cool place with great fans and put on great matches, while promoting us on Raw and having us dominate the roster when we get called up. So we're invading. FOR REAL."

Yep.

An NXT vs WWE angle wouldn't be run like an invasion, but it could be done over pride and bragging rights. Having someone like the Miz cut a promo about he's tired of hearing how great NXT is so he's got a team together to call them out would be instant heat AND would lead to Sami Zayn kicking his noggin off.

That being said, I'd keep the brands seperated for as long as possible. (The occasional Kevin Owens situation notwithstanding.)

A NXT vs WWE multi-tag match might be a good way to kill a few minutes on the Wrestlemania undercard this year. Don't worry about a storyline, just let them go at it under the pretenses of a "friendly challenge" between developmental and the main roster.

• Like 1

For the WWE vs. NXT one-off show...an invasion angle wouldn't work- it's not a real invasion and the WWE would (and honestly, should win)...but every fan would be absolutely devastated if NXT lost to WWE.

With that in mind, why not just run a concept like NXT: Relegation, and make the whole show NXT vs. WWE- if the NXT wrestler beats the WWE performer, the NXT wrestler is promoted to the main roster immediately and the losing WWE wrestler is relegated to NXT?

Do it right, you have an excuse to say "Yeah, we know the WWE roster is higher than the developmental roster- but if they can beat a WWE main roster person, they proved they belong on the main roster", making a logical reason for "Yeah, only a couple of NXT wrestlers will win tonight" in such a way it protects the NXT roster who lose their matches. A couple NXT superstars win and get a big selling point to be promoted, with some WWE wrestlers get a chance to be added to the NXT roster for retooling.

An NXT vs WWE angle wouldn't be run like an invasion, but it could be done over pride and bragging rights. Having someone like the Miz cut a promo about he's tired of hearing how great NXT is so he's got a team together to call them out would be instant heat AND would lead to Sami Zayn kicking his noggin off.

That being said, I'd keep the brands seperated for as long as possible. (The occasional Kevin Owens situation notwithstanding.)

Yeah, making it over pride and bragging rights is the best way to go (kinda like the 1st One Night Stand).

They can then have the NXT guys causing trouble on the main roster (Shield-ish).

The only way I would be cool with a NXT vs. WWE angle is if it's pretty much just Zayn vs. Owens.  Owens already looks like he is transitioning to the main corporate heel role and his general smugness would keep the situation from turning into a Rollins as whipping boy thing that killed the booking last year.  

It would be a solid way to bring Sami up.  I also have this urge to see Vince and Owens as buddies!

I worry that Owens/Ambrose at the Rumble as an LMS means that Owens won't be in the Rumble. As a consequence, Sami/Owens in the Rumble might not be a thing... ? :(

I wouldn't bet against Owens being in the Rumble. I assume he'll lose to Ambrose since it appears he's headed for bigger things than the IC belt one way or another, and coming back to the Rumble is a good way to keep him strong after a loss. All he has to do is enter in the 20s and eliminate a couple guys while the announcers talk about how tough he is. I'd say they'd be stupid to not do some Zayn/Owens (and possibly other NXT involvement) in Orlando of all places with a typically smart crowd, but they've missed easier opportunities.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is: How does Zayn eliminating Owens get Roman Reigns over?

Reigns will eliminate Sami immediately after.

flamingtext_com_MTA1MDI2MjI5ODQ.jpg

Or how about Zayn and Owens are fighting each other, not paying attention to what's going on around them and suddenly Roman Reigns out of nowhere superman punches both of them and eliminates both!

That's even better, makes Reigns look really strong!

(insert Punk wisecrack here, plus #leaveromanalooooone)

Seriously though, the Rumble could go in a few different directions this year...this is about as unpredictable as the Rumble result has been in a while (even if it is due to all the injuries).

(insert Punk wisecrack here, plus #leaveromanalooooone)

Seriously though, the Rumble could go in a few different directions this year...this is about as unpredictable as the Rumble result has been in a while (even if it is due to all the injuries).

It's going to be Roman or Brock. Admittedly that's twice as many directions as they considered last year.