DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

And Rippa doesn't pay attention, I mentioned the Jax match already.

Don't believe the old guy that can't even follow the discussion. Respect #1, Brooklyn... Still fucking great, actually.

• Like 1

Mid-watch Update:

Bayley/Becky #1 contender's match - technically solid and got some good time, but it lacked an emotional core. Great finish, though, with Bayley rolling out of an armbar and into a pin victory. 

Bayley/Sasha Brooklyn - holy fuck! I know it's not saying much, but is this the best women's match WWE have ever put on? Haven't heard a crowd that hot for a chickfight since Mickie/Trish at Mania. 

On to the Iron Man. 

• Like 1

I know Sasha rightfully gets Best Wrestler Alive (WWE division) hype but Bayley is really stepping up. She has been amazing in these carry jobs post-Horsewomen. She's so amazing at being a babyface and emoting doubt and resolve and refusing to quit. She's absolutely fantastic.

Her match against Charlotte in her run up to the match in Brooklyn was really friggin' great.

Bayley/Eva Marie was a miracle match. They actually probably should have run that in London in retrospect, though I understand why they'd feel safer running it on a taping rather than a live show.

Bayley and the booking both turned out to make that match really fun and legitimately harrowing for this Bayley fan. 

I am working on catching up with 2015 NXT.

Can anyone point me to some must-see Bayley?

I also love her contract signing against Sasha pre-Brooklyn. That's one of the all-time best contract signings.

God yes. Maybe the best non-wrestling, non-New Day WWE segment all year.

The thing I love most about the NXT womens division is it graduated Sasha, who has a WOTY claim, Becky, who is arguably my favorite female wrestler ever, and Charlotte, and I think the division could be even stronger this year. They still have Bayley, Emma, Brooke, Bliss, Jax, Eva Marie (who fits her role just fine) and oh yeah fucking ASUKA, and you know that Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, and whatever they rename Athena are gonna be pushed quite well by the end of the year, and those 3 are all really damned good. And I'd be more surprised if they don't sign someone really cool to be added to that division by this time next year then if they do. 

• Like 1

The thing I love most about the NXT womens division is it graduated Sasha, who has a WOTY claim, Becky, who is arguably my favorite female wrestler ever, and Charlotte, and I think the division could be even stronger this year. They still have Bayley, Emma, Brooke, Bliss, Jax, Eva Marie (who fits her role just fine) and oh yeah fucking ASUKA, and you know that Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, and whatever they rename Athena are gonna be pushed quite well by the end of the year, and those 3 are all really damned good. And I'd be more surprised if they don't sign someone really cool to be added to that division by this time next year then if they do. 

Billie Kay is Jessie McKay? Sweet!  I was just wondering the other day why they hadn't snatched her up yet. 

I have loved KANA. . .er, Asuka in the two segments I have seen her with Emma/Dana. No shock there, though. 

Sasha-Becky ranks pretty high for me in the sense that it raised my NXT women's division expectations from "this'll be a good match" to "holy crap, that was great".  Definitely a breakout moment for Becky and raised Sasha another level.

TEH WERKRATEZ~! are one thing, but a great match with a definite face and heel and the face getting the big win is something else entirely, so the Bayley-Sasha title change ranks pretty high.  Bayley-Eva was really good in that regard as well.

The "What match is best between Sasha/Becky, Sasha/Bayley in Brooklyn, or Sasha/Bayley in Full Sail" question is one that there is no wrong answer too, and I'd have them lined up 1, 2, and 3 in my WWE MOTY for 2015.

Having now watched the three matches once each. I have to rank Brooklyn #1. The intensity on that one is off the charts! Crowd going nuts, crazy spots, a terrific story.

The Iron Man has some terrific moments, but it's slower-paced by necessity.It's full of great moments, though, and the last 5 minutes (though sloppy) really amp up the pace, selling us on their desperation. 

Some random thoughts:

1. Nia Jax in that Eva/Bayley match is the perfect example of how to use a manager/bodyguard. She helps to cover Eva's limitations as well as building heat for the heels.

2. Emma/Dana team is a lot of fun. Dana looks like a smaller Beth Phoenix. (she even dresses like Beth) There's potential there. Emma is working great as the bad girl partner. I am sorry that the WWE f'd up her initial call-up, and I am thrilled she's gotten another chance. She's too good to throw away. 

3. Asuka. Yes. Just, yes. 

4. "Blue Pants" has to be the worst name ever. 

Back on the Bayley love:

I think the smartest decision they made with NXT was not calling her up along with everyone else. Bayley has been so good in working ankles and having good-to-great matches with pretty green workers. Her stuff with Alexa was fun and pretty good. She carried Eva Marie, who is terrible, to an awesome match. Bayley's reactions to all the bells-and-whistles they added on was so awesome. Everyone went in thinking Eva was going to steal the title because Bayley's so great at being vulnerable. And she made Nia Jax look like the NXT Woman's Vader and she's been having TV matches for about two months.

She's really making The New Class so much better. I really want to see her in an extended feud with Dana Brook and Emma.

Also, when they do call her up, she's going to be so differentiated from the other Horsewomen. Totally seeing her coming out at the post-Wrestlemania Raw to an epic reaction and pulling a Paige on Charlotte or Sasha whoever in a 15-minute match.

Just grabbed a ticket in the floor section for the 2/20 Albany show at the Armory. Basic line up looks to be Nia Jax VS Bailey, Baron Corbin VS Apollo Crews and Finn VS Joe. Hopefully Jordan and Gable get added to the show.

Since this is my first NXT show, do they have a meet and greet for these events?

• Like 1

Back on the Bayley love:

I think the smartest decision they made with NXT was not calling her up along with everyone else. Bayley has been so good in working ankles and having good-to-great matches with pretty green workers. Her stuff with Alexa was fun and pretty good. She carried Eva Marie, who is terrible, to an awesome match. Bayley's reactions to all the bells-and-whistles they added on was so awesome. Everyone went in thinking Eva was going to steal the title because Bayley's so great at being vulnerable. And she made Nia Jax look like the NXT Woman's Vader and she's been having TV matches for about two months.

She's really making The New Class so much better. I really want to see her in an extended feud with Dana Brook and Emma.

Also, when they do call her up, she's going to be so differentiated from the other Horsewomen. Totally seeing her coming out at the post-Wrestlemania Raw to an epic reaction and pulling a Paige on Charlotte or Sasha whoever in a 15-minute match.

I read a great interview with Bayley recently where she talks about not only how she and Sasha challenged each other to be the best when they were stuck in sub-5:00 throwaways but also that she really sees her responsibility as champion and NXT veteran to focus on helping the new girls up their game. (just as the others helped her) Paying it forward. 

Sounds like a woman with her head on straight. 

show at the Armory. 

How great is that? I went to a PWG show at an armory back in 2008. 

• Like 1

Just grabbed a ticket in the floor section for the 2/20 Albany show at the Armory. Basic line up looks to be Nia Jax VS Bailey, Baron Corbin VS Apollo Crews and Finn VS Joe. Hopefully Jordan and Gable get added to the show.

Since this is my first NXT show, do they have a meet and greet for these events?

Typically they have 3-4 guys/gals signing before each show.

• Like 1

That show featured:

Becky Lynch vs Natalya and Big show vs Heath Slater. Total Saturday Morning Slam flashback except with kids and the wrestlers hug afterwards.

I don't know how Rippa wants the spoilers anymore so I'll wait till he makes the threads. Lots of building to the UCF show on the 22nd  and the main storylines were

Carmella is the new number 1 contender for the women's title after winning a battle royal. Asuka was eliminated by Eva who was doing the old Lawler trick of hiding under the ring till the end. Carmella did the same thing to Eva. Huge pop for the finish. Asuka had a staredown with Bayley to tease that matchup. Carmella had a couple other matches which she won and will face Bayley on the 22nd.

Joe vs Corbin vs Sami had a match to see who would be the number 1 contender. They did the finish of Joe and Zayn having a submission on corbin at the same time and Corbin tapped. It will be Joe vs Sami at UCF on the 22nd.

Last match of the taping was Crews vs Balor. Balor won clean with the bloody Sunday.