DVDVR Message Board

2016 UK Wrestling Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went to the WCPW #Delete iPPV last night and it was...good. Ish. I've been to plenty of shows with green or below-average talent, where good booking and good match layout have meant it ended up being a good show. In this case, you had a load of really good workers covering up the fact that the booking was lousy. Highlights (both positive and negative) included:

- Doug Williams being consigned to a pre-show dark match, against HT Drake doing a comedy Mexican gimmick. Even though Drake is a heel, he's booked as a comedy face. It's not like they're disguising who it is, as he's wearing tights with "Drake" written on the side

-Booking a load of matches that are heel vs heel or face vs face. Both the tag title and tag #1 contender had this issue, as did the El Ligero/Cody Rhodes bout. Worst of all, Matt Hardy vs Bully Ray had a clear face/heel divide, before they turned Bully face with a pre-match promo, then turned him heel again in the post-match. Literally, he was only an face when he was facing another face wrestler.

-Pete Dunne & Travis Banks had a good match with two local wrestlers, Alex Gracie (who I think is pretty good) and Lucas Archer (who is ok). 

-Putting one of your titles on an import (Cody) absolutely stinks of 1PW "We're in awe of the ex-WWE" guy booking. They already blew the outcome by having Rhodes put his GFW belt on the line, as you knew they weren't putting it on Ligero, then had Ligs kill off three of his finishers by hitting them back-to-back for Cody to kick out of. The audience admittedly loved Cody, chanting "You deserve it" when he won the title. Not sure how being a career midcarder and the third best member of Legacy translates to deserving an indy secondary belt, but there you go.

-Moustache Mountain and Nixon Newell were both really great and really over, so of course they jobbed to the questionable Swords of Essex

-Johnny Mundo was due to face Alberto Del Rio, but Alberto was stuck at his airport. As a replacement, they booked Mundo vs Gabriel Kidd, which worked surprisingly well. Kidd is a local wrestler, a trainee from the local Stixx-run House of Pain wrestling school, and despite being only 19 has been wrestling for 6 years. He's mainly wrestled on HOP academy shows, so I had no idea how he would do against a big name like Mundo, but he put on a really good performance. Mundo was really generous in making Kidd look competitive against him, to the point I nearly believed in an upset. This worked.

-Rampage vs Primate had great moments, but fell to terrible booking. It was a lumberjack match, but they could only muster 6 lumberjacks, all the lads from the two pre-show matches. Rampage and Primate threw big bombs at each other, before Rampage looked to have the bout won. But no, Primate's stablemates Gracie and Archer, who were lumberjacks, came in to attack Rampage. This was right in front of the ref, but rather than draw a DQ, the match continued and allowed Primate to choke Rampage out for the win. The question is: why didn't Primate's team just attack Rampage at the bell if there was seemingly no DQ?

-Hardy vs Bully was a reasonable no DQ match, which still saw a ref bump and one of the What Culture "personalities" run in to low blow Matt, leading to the Bully win. This, on top of a table spot being teased but not delivered, seemed to piss off a lot of the crowd, and there was a mass exodus before the next match started...

-...which is a shame because Johnny Moss/Liam Slater vs the Coffey Brother was the match of the night to this point. The highlight was any time Moss and Joe Coffey squared off, two big tanks exchanging big bombs and massive suplexes. Loved this

-Martin Kirby vs Will Ospreay in a 2/3 falls match was even better. Heel Ospreay is exactly the route he needs to take, as  he was excellent as a smarmy dickhead. It'd also be better for his long-term wellbeing as, aside from a few big bumps, he didn't need to give his body anywhere near as much abuse. After both won falls with roll-ups (Ospreay's with his feet on the ropes), Ospreay won the final fall with a weapon's shot and a springboard cutter. The post match saw the Matt Hardy table spot finally paid off, as he rescued Kirby from a beatdown from Ospreay's goon squad, and set Ospreay up for Kirby to hit a top rope powerbomb through a table

-Finally, the main event. This was a triple threat steel cage match for Joseph Conners' WCPW title. The opponents were Joe Hendry (who I quite like, but looked bushleague as fuck with his gold ring jacket and big grey granny-pants trunks) and Drew Galloway, who was fucking massive compared to his opponents. This was all really good, as all three guys can go, and the cage setting meant no "wrestler lies on the floor for ages whilst the other two fight". But then, the ending. No idea what that was all about. Hendry was up-and-over on the cage, when Conners called out to him, with Galloway set in position for his finisher, the Righteous Kill. No-one could hear what he was saying, but it lured Hendry to climb back into the ring. As this was happening, Galloway broke free and hit the Futureshock DDT on Conners. Rather than break the pin, Hendry decided to try to escape the cage again, which of course gave Galloway time to pin Conners and win the title. Not sure if the idea was that Hendry thought Conners could hits his finisher on Galloway and pin him before Hendry could escape, but it seemed unlikely, given that Hendry was 3 rungs from the win. Just an odd ending, and more proof that the booking in WCPW leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

I just realized that Marty Scurll will very likely end the year holding three Championships from three different promotions. 2017 should be awesome.

On 8.12.2016 at 7:19 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Dammit, somebody needs to upload Hero/Ishii (and when it's over with, Shibata/Riddle) on Youtube or Dailymotion. Highlight videos with crappy emo music playing over top is not my idea of a good time. 

Just get the Revolution Pro network for a month, it's absolutely worth it. It's only $8.49.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 7:22 AM, The Z said:

Driving about an hour today to see Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm at a low-rent Indy. Hope it's worth it.

I saw that match back in 2002 at my first ever ROH show (Road to the Title). That was also the fourth show in company history, and it is still one of the best shows I ever attended.

• Like 2

That was also where I saw them for the first time. Not live of course, but on tape.

The show was not very good by the way. Fleisch and Storm were in a multi-man ladder match with three other guys, which was too short and nothing special.

Fleisch and Storm are still in very good shape, though. Fleisch is absolutely ripped. They also would have been good additions to the WWE UK tournament. Putting them in there would have been like Kendrick and Tajiri in the CWC. I don't think without these two and Doug Williams you would have the current UK Indy scene.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Wrestling on the telly and Grado is a massively over super popular babyface. Dixie Carter, you absolutely suck. This WoS roster is way better than the WWE UK lads.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic