DVDVR Message Board

2016 UK Wrestling Discussion

Just back from a RevPro YouTube taping which featured Josh Bodom and Donovan Dijak killing each other, Marty Scurll and Timothy Thatcher doing that wrestling shit, and Zack Sabre Jr tying Will Ospreay up in knots. Fun times. Should start going up, erm, in about a month?

So which promotions should I be following?  Haven't kept up with the UK scene much for years.  Do follow IPW:UK a little.  I'm basically familiar with (and like) Ospreay, Mastiff, Big Damo,.some people like Bad Bones who have worked wXw.  Am planning to check out some Jimmy Havoc and Marty Scurll this week (sine he became "The Villain"). 

Besides Progress and IPW, who else should I be following?

Watching a lot of Progress this week. Really digging it so far,

Are the London Riots anyone I should go out of my way to watch more of?

The Riots are lots of fun. Technically sound enough to wrestle but flourish in brawls. I'd say Lynch has slightly more to him than Davis but they're good hands.

What's available on Progress' streaming service?  Everything?  Do they put up complete shows or just matches?

I thinking $8 a month (US) is definitely worth it.  Do they not sell DVDs?  Their online store didn't have much to offer.  I'll stream if necessary, but I'd really prefer to buy DVD sets from them.

What's available on Progress' streaming service?  Everything?  Do they put up complete shows or just matches?

I thinking $8 a month (US) is definitely worth it.  Do they not sell DVDs?  Their online store didn't have much to offer.  I'll stream if necessary, but I'd really prefer to buy DVD sets from them.

They sell a very limited amount of DVDs, soon after the show has taken place. After that, it's OnDemand or eBay.

I went to see a small Revolution Pro show in Portsmouth this evening and wanted to ramble about it on here for a bit because I'm still mega excited from it. I don't get to see anywhere near enough live wrestling considering it is such a great thing. I tend not to be too bothered about RevPro's Portsmouth shows even though they're so close to where I live. since they're so much more low key than the big events in York Hall and such, but this time around they had Zack Sabre Jr vs. Timothy Thatcher! Yeah! That was a match I've wanted to see since they had that really cool match in Evolve a year and a half ago. It wasn't quite up to that level, but was still such good fun. Timothy Thatcher is so impressive. He is just so focused, he will never miss an opportunity to do something small but vicious to an outstretched limb. He controlled most of the match by working away at Sabre's arm, but Sabre pulled out the victory with the Penalty Kick. There were European Uppercuts and slick submission reversals in abundance. It was top. Before the show I was shuffling past the merchandise tables seeing if they had a DVD of the Sabre vs. Styles event available, and then suddenly I ended up at Sabre's table, from which he was selling his T-shirts. Now, technically I am an adult male, a 20 year old adult male, a grown up, but there is something about pro wrestlers that make me feel like an utter child, and ZSJ is one of my favourite wrestlers in the entire world, and so when I managed to blurt out "Zack, I'm a huge fan!", I genuinely started shaking a bit. Happily, Sabre was so nice. I told him that his match with Thatcher was the main reason I'd come to the show, and he said it was the first time they'd wrestled each other in the UK, and he seemed a bit hesitant about it because there were a lot of children in attendance who might not be the target audience for their style. He joked that they would do "BattlArts mixed with the holiday camp style," and I tried to think of a hilarious quip and opted for saying that they would probably be the first wrestlers ever to try and merge those two, and it kind of hit me that I was talking about fucking BattlArts with one of the best pro wrestlers on the planet, and it was so cool. 

Anyway, the point is, Sabre-Thatcher had a darn good match and Zack Sabre Jr is a very pleasant man and I am hopelessly giddy in the presence of pro wrestlers. The rest of the show was good fun as well. Carlito was there, which was a fun novelty even if his match wasn't especially memorable. There was a tag team match immediately following Sabre-Thatcher which featured The Flatliner running through old comedy spots from 90s WWF, from the Bushwhacker walk to Mr. Socko to the Stink Face, and he got the biggest ovation of the entire night, which made me wonder whether maybe charming silliness is actually what the pro wrestling is all about, rather than straight laced grappling. The main event was a Triple Threat between Marty Scurll, Will Ospreay and Pete Dunne. It was a definite house show main event, much more restrained than the Scurll/Ospreay singles matches that have got such attention recently, but still good fun. Marty Scurll is tremendous, he just exudes cool and charisma. Will Ospreay put in a fine shift as well, we got glimpses of the athleticism that is going to make him absolutely huge in 2016, surely. I had such a good time and cannot imagine how I would pass the time without pro wrestling. It really is a very good invention.

• Like 2

Quick update on the 16 Carat Gold. Unfortunately Daisuke Sekimoto has dropped out of the tournament without much an explanation and has been replaced with Drew Galloway. That really sucks. Galloway is a good replacement and the rest of the line-up is still great, but having Sekimoto in there would have provided by far the freshest and most interesting match-ups.

Robert Dreissker has also been replaced by Ilja Dragunov, because of an injury. That's an improvement in my opinion. Most of the qualifying matches have also happened by now, so the line-up looks as follows:

- Angélico

- Axel Dieter Jr.

- Big Daddy Walter
- Drew Galloway

- Ilja Dragunov

- Kim Ray

- Marty Scurll
- Mike Bailey

- Sami Callihan

- Sasa Keel
- Shane Strickland
- Tommy End

- Trevor Lee

- Will Ospreay
- Zack Sabre Jr.

The remaining spot will be determined in the 16 Carat Gold League, which I'm pretty sure will be won by Timothy Thatcher.

It's stunning that, with his New Japan debut two months away, I can still see Will Ospreay in a disused railway arch in East London. I have never been happier to see someone get their big break and I'm going to miss nights like this.

Oh, he lost, to a low blow, but who cares, right?

What's the deal with New Japan and Ospreay? The only time I ever heard anything about this was during the TNA debacle.

Will he be brought in just for the Best of the Super Jrs, or will he be flown in on a regular basis like most other gaijin or will he move to Japan full-time and work there almost exclusively like Kenny Omega, David Finlay etc.?

16 Carat Gold is cursed this year. First Sekimoto and now Tommy End is out with an injury and has been replaced with Silas Young.

The following first round match-ups have been announced today:

- I Quit Match: Marty Scurll vs. Axel Dieter Jr.

- Angélico vs. Trevor Lee

- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Big Daddy Walter

- Silas Young vs. Drew Galloway

- Mike Bailey vs. Ilja Dragunov

- Will Ospreay vs. Shane Strickland

- Sasa Keel vs. Winner of the 16 Carat League

- Sami Callihan vs. Kim Ray

16 Carat Gold is cursed this year. First Sekimoto and now Tommy End is out with an injury and has been replaced with Silas Young.

The following first round match-ups have been announced today:

- I Quit Match: Marty Scurll vs. Axel Dieter Jr.

- Angélico vs. Trevor Lee

- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Big Daddy Walter

- Silas Young vs. Drew Galloway

- Mike Bailey vs. Ilja Dragunov

- Will Ospreay vs. Shane Strickland

- Sasa Keel vs. Winner of the 16 Carat League

- Sami Callihan vs. Kim Ray

Why is Scurll/Dieter Jr an I Quit match? Purely due to their previous interactions.