DVDVR Message Board

A Video Game Deal Thread (All Systems)

RIPPA

Since Kevin asked me nicely - and really it is probably easier for it all in one place anyway.

All you video game deals go in here - just be nice and make clear which systems it applies to (or obviously Steam when they aren't trying to give away your personal info)

The XBOX Free with Gold games for January

Thief (Xbox One) - December 16-January 15

Killer Instinct: Season One Ultra Edition (Xbox One) -- January 1-31
Zheros (Xbox One) -- January 16-February 15
Dirt Showdown (Xbox 360) -- January 1-15
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Xbox 360) -- January 16-31

PS+ January lineup

Hardware: Rivals (PS4)

Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4)
Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
Medal of Honor: Warfighter (PS3)
Nihilumbra (PS Vita)
Legends of War: Patton (PS Vita)

The Humble Monthly bundle (Steam product codes) has Alien: Isolation as the first announced game, for $12. No matter what bundle trash they put with it, that already seems like reasonable value for your dollar right there.

Honestly, while the regular bundles can be hit or miss, I've yet to see a Monthly that wasn't well worth the twelve bucks.

Good to know; that's definitely new.  I went ahead and ordered SF5 and the Ratchet and Clank reboot, as both are situations where I more or less trust the dev teams not to fuck the fans over.  The fact that the R&C game is $40 weirds me out, though; on the one hand, it's a remake of the first game in the series.  On the other, it's a series that's been running for nearly 15 years and has always sold fairly well, and a tie-in to a movie that hasn't been farmed out to a B-team.  It does more to make me doubt the movie than the game, odd as that may sound. (I still predict that Qwark will be much less villainous than he was in the first couple PS2 games.)

The 20% discount is apparently permanent for Prime subscribers for all physical copy pre-orders and the first two weeks games are out.

That's pretty awesome news.

Big PSN "Playstation Essentials" sale. I'm not seeing anything actually essential to me that I didn't already have, but a lot of the prices are pretty good.

I did see a few things in there that made me wish I wasn't so broke.  I still have so many holes in my PS3 and Ps4 collection that I want to fill.

The 13 year old/family got a WiiU for Xmas and it just boggles the mind how things don't go down in price. I'm used to PC gaming where within two and a half years everything's around five dollars. It's been a while since I touched a console. My idea of the relative economic value of two year old video games does not sync up with what two year old console games cost.

The 13 year old/family got a WiiU for Xmas and it just boggles the mind how things don't go down in price. I'm used to PC gaming where within two and a half years everything's around five dollars. It's been a while since I touched a console. My idea of the relative economic value of two year old video games does not sync up with what two year old console games cost.

That's Nintendo for you.

The consoles I kinda get. My problem is that they still charge full price on like 3 year old 3DS games

• Like 1

That's definitely more of a Nintendo thing than a console thing.

That's Nintendo for you.

The consoles I kinda get. My problem is that they still charge full price on like 3 year old 3DS games

They're also transitioning over to doing one or two physical runs of things and then going digital only, which leads to goofy shit like Bayonetta 2 - from last year - already being scarce and going for more than retail. Which means paying $60 for the digital version of something from two years ago seems OK because hey, at least it's not $85 like the disc.

It's insidious as fuck.

Seems to be more like a Nintendo of America thing than a Nintendo in general thing. I've never experienced that over here. Pikmin 3 is in stock at Amazon for €39.99.

It's true that the prices for Nintendo games almost never go down, though.

EA Sports is offering free access to the EA Access Vault to XBox Live Gold Members from January 19th to January 24th. Games included:

Battlefield Hardline
EA Sports UFC
Battlefield 4
FIFA 15
Madden 25
Dragon Age: Inquisition
NHL 15
Titanfall
Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
Need for Speed Rivals
NBA LIVE 15
Peggle 2
FIFA 14
Madden 14

A week isn't long but should give me enough time to beat Battlefield and see what FIFA is like. Also I always wanted to poke Titanfall. I"ll be honest I forgot this even existed, only had my One for a few weeks but it isn't advertised anywhere.