DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

8 hours ago, zev said:

Before the Sinclair deal came along, was Final Battle the actual last show of a calendar year? 

Yes, Final Battle has always been the last show of the calendar year.  It seemed like a bigger deal before they got weekly tv.

The lineup for Final Battle sucks.  Most of the matches have no reason for happening other than "we have three hours to fill."  Why are the Young Bucks and the Briscoes against each other besides needing to fit them in somewhere on the card?  And why isn't there a Pretty Boy Killers vs War Machine match?  It's the only feud in the company that's even slightly interesting.

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson, "This promotion needs an enema."

Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole have been feuding for a long time, what with the Future Shock history and all that, so at least the main event makes sense....if you ignore Jay Lethal's Floslam and Chill attitude towards the BC.

I guess they can say that if the Bucks beat the Briscoes after beating Addiction and MCMG then they're really the bestest most exciting amazeballs team in the company...if you ignore the two teams that you've already said should be having a match on the card.

Leaving that last line as is just because I'm amused that my browser redline disagree with bestest being a word, but doesn't flag amazeballs.

As for the rest of the card, who's challenging for the TV title now?

23 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The Cabana turn came off well on TV and it's the most I've cared about him since probably the feud with Homicide. 

Of course it's Dalton Castle, so getting me invested wasn't going to be too difficult. 

I eagerly await the point in this blood feud where they open with chain wrestling and then do the yay/boo spot with penis thrusting.

On 11/26/2016 at 11:50 PM, zev said:

Jay Lethal surely does seem unbothered that the Bullet Club shaved his head and Adam Cole has the World Title.

Before the Sinclair deal came along, was Final Battle the actual last show of a calendar year? That title doesn't sound right given they have a TV taping later the same weekend.

Lethal addressed the head shaving a few weeks ago, saying he didn't mind it since he was getting more attention from the ladies.  So since revenge on his mind didn't work before, he was going to be his normal self going into the title match in England.  But since that didn't work for him, then I guess he's cool with O'Reilly having a crack at it.  I'm hoping he at least aims for a title shot after Final Battle so he doesn't go further down the card.

And Final Battle was the last show of the calendar year before Sinclair.  I don't recall them doing shows after FB while on HDNet.

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Lethal addressed the head shaving a few weeks ago, saying he didn't mind it since he was getting more attention from the ladies.  

I heard them mention that on commentary and it just blew my mind.  "Babyface decides he just doesn't give a shit" (henceforth known as: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) is definitely a new one as far as blowing off an angle is concerned.  I wish they'd done that in the old days.  "Wahoo met a hot nurse at the hospital so he really doesn't much care about Valentine breaking his leg anymore."

I don't even know what ROH is supposed to be.  Delirious' six-year-plus reign of uninspired direction is a pretty damn good illustration of why companies used to rotate bookers frequently.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I heard them mention that on commentary and it just blew my mind.  "Babyface decides he just doesn't give a shit" (henceforth know as: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) is definitely a new one as far as blowing off an angle is concerned.  I wish they'd done that in the old days.  "Wahoo met a hot nurse at the hospital so he really doesn't much care about Valentine breaking his leg anymore."

I don't even know what ROH is supposed to be.  Delirious' six-year-plus reign of uninspired direction is a pretty damn good illustration of why companies used to rotate bookers frequently.  

Don't forget he also got turned on by Los Igobernables de Japon which lead to...a match that I don't think was ever really discussed on ROH TV again.  So, Lethal has been attacked/turned on/beaten down by two different groups and is wrestling...Cody at Final Battle.

• Like 2

In a bit of positivity... I really have enjoyed the last few weeks of TV and the promos by Cole and O'Reilly. They always deliver, so I think the main event is gonna be real good, but I don't know if they'll pull the trigger on O'Reilly. ROH tends to have a habit of waiting til the ship has sailed on putting the ROH title on guys (Rollins, Davey, Elgin..) and if they're gonna do it, now's the time for O'Reilly.

11 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Since it looks like the ROH World title match will be NO DQ.I bet the Young Bucks will do a run in and cost Kyle his shot at the title.

That's possible. Half the locker room running in to beat up the Bullet Club and then Cole losing to Kyle after eating half a dozen finishers could also work. Hey, maybe they'll actually have Lethal remember he's angry and be the last guy to jump into the match.

Anyone know if Corino's already gone to WWE, or is he allowed to be at Final Battle? After all the TV time spent on the Whitmer feud, only seems right that they have something on air where Steve and Colby reunite after "Mr. Wrestling III" wins some sort of challenge match against Whitmer or Martinez.

On 11/27/2016 at 9:08 PM, zev said:

That sounds like Lee and Fish somehow get double counted out and the crowd gets Osprey vs. Scurll for a while.

That could work.

Not disagreeing that this is likely but man do I want all the Dragon Lee I can get in this match.

I'm thinking this match gets at least 20 minutes, and Dragon Lee gets at least half of that.

Of course I could be very wrong and it could be Fish winning and then he and Kyle both have titles by the end of the show.