DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

When I said they should give us more Briscoe tours Japan segments, I didn't mean show last week's episode again tonight, but it looks like that's exactly what my local Sinclair station's doing.

Any of you able to see anything new and noteworthy on ROH TV this weekend?

I skimmed through a lot of it but there was an 8 man ROH/NJPW vs. Bullet Club b-team match that didn't look like it was much and a Doc 'n' Karl vs. Briscoes match, performed in front of a dead audience for the most part. Lots of filler but they did show highlights of Colt challenging Jay Lethal and beating him in an impromptu match to set up the title match at Global Wars. 

I'm most excited for KOR vs. Naito next Sunday. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2016 at 3:15 PM, Charlie M. said:

Castle/Silas was pretty good. I thought the crowd was abysmal, though. Felt like the fight they were having deserved a more emotionally invested crowd.

I'm still not sure they completely understand what they have in Castle. We'll see..

I'm not totally convinced Dalton Castle understands what he has either.  I love the character.  He is a good worker.  I've seen him live a number of times at NEW wrestling events against a variety of opponents in intense matches and comedy matches and he is even more amazing in person. I highly recommend seeing him if the opportunity presents itself.

That being said I feel like there is something missing from the whole Dalton Castle experience.  Its nothing major and I can't quite put my finger on what it actually is.  Maybe it's as simple as finally ending the Silas feud and moving on, but then again he might just drift out directionless in the ROH sea, because God forbid they get creative.

I do think Castle gets it though. It's probably just a matter of where he is allowed to fully spread his wings.

• Like 2

At least SCUM was a group that desperately wanted you to hate them and did everything they could to do it.   I mean everyone knows that the Bullet Club is an NWO appreciation group.  Like all the Metallica and KISS replica bands out there.   Even with that angle at the end it looked like they were trying to get pops or laughs.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zev said:

Is Bullet Club now the new SCUM, or the new NWO?

Reveal hidden contents

Adam Cole joined them at the PPV tonight.

Well, they need to beef up their ranks after losing Devitt, AJ, Gallows, and Anderson. 

I was at the PPV last night. I hated the non-finish in the main event. The angle actually got 60/40 heat to cheers. Many people like me wanted to see a finish in Colt's return match. There were some who were cheering everything BC did.

After the PPV went off the air, Adam Cole tried to announce something but the mic didn't work. He and the Bucks then ran over to the merch table and began selling new Adam Cole Bullet Club t-shirts. They were mobbed by fans. 

One other random thought... Ishii is probably only a legit 5'7"-5'8" and 240 pounds. He is solid, but he looks a lot bigger on TV. 

Based on reading what happened, I think I agree with the notion that expecting people to pay $44.99 for a traditional PPV when most of your other major players are running the $10-15 price-range is utterly absurd, especially when you run 3-4 PPVs a year and should use those to pay off big feuds and angles, not turn it into overbooking city.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Lol, ROH is 99% boring booking and then when they try to do something interesting, it's something stupid like this. Good job, good effort. 

I just think that the Bullet Club elicits a lot of the same problems as the nWo, where you feel like you have to do elaborate screwy finishes all of the time. With this being the Bucks, they a) want all of their wrestling friends in the group with them, b) are just self-obsessed with being as obnoxiously over with themselves as possible.

Fish and Ishii was my MOTN. I thought it told a good story and the finish was wild.

The big angle was a major disconnect between what I think and what ROH thinks and it sounds like I'm not alone. I have nothing against Adam Cole or really anyone involved BUT if they wanted to do something shocking and memorable, it would have been Colt Cabana winning the World Title. It could have been a short run but it would have been a great moment. Instead what we get is basically a third rate version of a stable that should have died when the good brothers left for WWE. It felt very nWo 2000 to me.

• Like 1

So Ring of Honor is like WCW in that they have (or probably will have) two major factions/groups that beats them handily.  They are already losing way too much against the New Japan guys and now they got to make the bullet Club strong.     And right now I have no idea who would be the great defender of ROH.  Maybe Roderick Strong or Moose if he is still in the company in the next 4 months.  

Ishii/Fish sucked live, IMO. They didn't really have any chemistry together and was too much of a styles clash.

Naito/O'Reilly was really good, closely followed by the tag title match.

And for as many Bullet Club shirts as they sold, I'm shocked they couldn't afford handcuffs and used zip ties instead.

And right now I have no idea who would be the great defender of ROH. 

Jay and Chicken. Duh. At least we'd get great promos of them wielding firearms saying they're the REAL Bullet Club. 

I went looking for the results and found this pretty scathing review on 411 from Larry Czonka. Review score: 1 - EXTREMELY HORRENDOUS

In the year 2016, with the WWE Network priced at $9.99, New Japan World priced at around $9, and iPPV events priced at $10; Ring of Honor asked their fans to pay $45 for a PPV. On that PPV they hyped the return of a company hero, who was getting a world title shot in his hometown. And on that PPV, they pulled a card out of the 1996 WCW playbook and did an nWo ending on Nitro, where the main event had no finish and the only payoff was a superkick tribute. I like the Young Bucks, I like Adam Cole, I like the wacky amount of superkicks; but this was bullshit. You can’t expect people to drop $45 on a show like this and do that. The show was largely solid, with some good highs, but ROH coming off as second class citizens to the NJPW performers, who came across as the real stars. This came off as a $45 embarrassment, an ROH should be ashamed of themselves for producing it. Word is that there is frustration among the talent with Delirious as booker, well, that includes a lot of their loyal fanbase as well. Do not waste your money on this, hell, they’ll probably fill TV with it in three months or so. This is three hours I’ll not get back.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

pretty scathing review on 411 from Larry Czonka.

Csonka.jpg

Why would Larry write about wrestling?  I thought football and American Gladiators was his thing?  C'mon, you know you thought that too.

• Like 7

And apparently Adam Page is a new member of the ROH version of Bullet Club.  Either that or he is feuding with Jay Briscoe again which actually was some good matches.

So now we are reaching the Virgil/Stevie Ray/Horace Hogan phase of the ROH Bullet Club.  If I saw a finish at a ROH PPV with the Finger Poke of Doom it wouldn't surprise me at this point

• Like 2

I was just about to post that. To be fair, I'll give Page at least X-Pac status with the group.

Now, I think there's one really important question to be asked out of all this.

Are we sure that critic Larry Csonka isn't the one from Gladiators?

55 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If I saw a finish at a ROH PPV with the Finger Poke of Doom it wouldn't surprise me at this point

Agreed. ROH has turned into a lot of what I hated about wrestling at the time and what made them so appealing as an alternative, like ECW before it.