DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

ROH "14th ANNIVERSARY" PPV
26. February 2016
Las Vegas, NV

ROH World Television Championship
Tomohiro Ishii © defeated Roderick Strong and Bobby Fish to retain the ROH World Television Championship via pin on Strong after Vertical Drop Brainbuster (8:40)

Grudge Match:

BJ Whitmer defeated Adam Page via Low-Blow -> Roll-Up (9:20)

NJPW vs ROH Singles Match:

Hirooki Goto defeated Dalton Castle (w/ Boys) with the Shouten Kai (9:49)

Singles Match:

Alex Shelley defeated Christopher Daniels via Roll-Up (9:41)

NJPW vs ROH Tag Team Match:

Michael Elgin & Hiroshi Tanahashi defeated Briscoes via High Fly Flow (14:50)

NJPW vs ROH Singles Match / Non-Title Match:

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada (w/ Jado) defeated Moose (w/ Stokely Hathaway) with the Rainmaker (10:30)

NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Championships
Bullet Club Elite (Kenny Omega & Young Bucks) © defeated ACH, Matt Sydal & KUSHIDA to retain the NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Championships via One Winged Angel on Sydal (17:00)

ROH Tag Team Championships No DQ
War Machine © defeated All Night Xpress to retain the ROH Tag Team Championships via Fallout on Rhett Titus (11:20)

ROH World Championship
Jay Lethal © (w/ Truth Martini & Taeler Hendrix) defeated Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole to retain the ROH World Championship  via Pin on Cole after Lethal Injection (13:45)

And according to all sources: The crowd SUCKED!

I know not every Grudge Match can finish like Magnum vs. Tully, but a Roll-Up for the win in Page vs. Whitmer? They're going to stretch that feud out till Corino's neck heals, aren't they?

Goto's deal is that he loses a lot lately, right? Castle is the big entrance showman of ROH, and they had their match in Vegas. So Goto winning makes sense how?

@Web Conn: Did the Lethal match end clean, or was it the usual House of Truth interference that lead to the Injection?

I was in the crowd I thought they were all right. The only thing I found odd was a New Day Sucks chant broke out during the six man. I found that out of place

The Elite made an open challenge to the New Day online last week.

Did the Lethal match end clean, or was it the usual House of Truth interference that lead to the Injection?

Totally clean, because Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly looked like the biggest idiots in some sequences and were wide open for the finish, fighting in the middle of the ring.

• Like 1

So all the NJ guys went over.  Interesting.

When they work over here, NJPW actually stands for No Jobs Pro Wrestling

That doesn't make the ROH guys look strong at all. I'll still order the replay since I didn't see it yesterday. 

I thought the same thing but then I realized it doesn't matter.  ROH is a promotion aimed squarely at smart marks who apparently don't care.  ROH is just NJPW's minor league.  The fans wanted to see a New Japan showcase at the expense of the ROH roster and that's what they got. 

I'm still amazed that the ROH roster went 0-5, though.  There's got to be some middle ground between "their guys shouldn't beat our guys (TM Kevin Dunn) and outright whoring your promotion.

• Like 1

They did a lot better at the taping: Cole beat Kushida, Lethal beat Goto, reDRagon beat Okada/Gedo(though no guesses who ate the pin), and War Machine beat Roppongi Vice.

On the other side of the ledger: Ishii beat Cedric, Tanahashi & Elgin beat the Bucks, and Omega beat A.C.H.

They did a lot better at the taping: Cole beat Kushida, Lethal beat Goto, reDRagon beat Okada/Gedo(though no guesses who ate the pin), and War Machine beat Roppongi Vice.

On the other side of the ledger: Ishii beat Cedric, Tanahashi & Elgin beat the Bucks, and Omega beat A.C.H.

Maybe it's the Bret Hart logic that it's better to get the win on regular television instead of on pay per view, as more people would see that?

I watch the ROH tv show every week, but rarely see the PPV events. Several of those tv taping matches have my interest, and I now look forward to them, but I'm still puzzled as to that many NJ victories over the weekend.

And that question is, "How many Mandy Leons can fit on the head of a pen?"

That shit doesn't even make sense. But I liked it.

How many Mandy Leon's does it take to change a lightbulb while getting boned by a lizard?

I just realized the PPV was their anniversary show, which adds to the lulz. "Let's celebrate 14 glorious years by jobbing out the roster to the guys you're really here to see!"

Maybe I should take comfort there was nobody as shitty as Dragon Soldier B or Bison Smith representing New Japan.

Finally got around to watching the PPV. I can't figure out if the spot with Cole stopping Lethal's hand from falling for the third time was great or really stupid.

*Edit

So Lio Rush is going to die for our sins against Ishii?