DVDVR Message Board

2016 US Indy General Discussion (if it doesn't already have a thread)

There are 3 really good companies in Ontario. Smash from Toronto. Alpha-1 from Hamilton and C4 from Ottawa. All 3 use a good mix of local guys and indy "names". Plus Josh Alexander is returning from a neck injury thought to be career ending and he'll hopefully return to how good he was before he retired.

Smash shows are a lot of fun. They have a great roster of talented local guys and a couple indy names and they use them well. They have a strong emphasis on women's wrestling, even having Cherry Bomb vs Courtney Rush main event their last show. I will admit their last show was a little disappointing with the big names being Bull James and the guitarist from "Every Time I Die" but there were still entertaining Psycho Mike Rollins vs Frankie the Mobster and Façade vs Player Dos matches along with the main. May 29th has Johnny Gargano vs Eric Young and a 10 man tournament with Sushi from All Japan announced so far. They're a good group and their shows are worth checking out.

• Like 1

Courtney Rush and Cherry Bomb are having a great feud. I think it'll wind up being measured in years rather than months in terms of longevity. SMASH's youtube channel's done great work in showcasing it.

I forgot about Superkick'd. I love the atmosphere of their shows. Also May 15th in Toronto is a show called "Mayhem in Greektown" with Space Monkey vs Mike Bailey. Can't wait for that one.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure where to post this but I have been a huge fan of the recent trend of on demand wrestling channels.  The ones I currently use in addition to WWE Network are  CZWstudios, aawondemand, and  https://www.highspotswrestlingnetwork.com/

The content on highspots channel is incredible and it seems they add at least 25-30 shows/shoots a week.   Right now they have over 100 pwg shows,  tons of wxw,  rev pro, progress, shoots, NEW, IWA-MS,  CZW, ECW, FIP, Wrestlecons, and more.   

Does anybody else know of any similar on demand channels that can be viewed on the roku?

Hopefully, I'm not doing something wrong out of the gate  I've been at CRZ's board forever and am a regular at Northeast Wrestling events which isn't really a blip on the radar, and I'm sure you don't care one way or the other, but this is happening and I'm pretty fired up about to have a front row seat.  It should be a good time.20160507e.jpg

On 5/1/2016 at 9:20 PM, zev said:

@bobholly138 You know if that's really the son of the JYD on that card?

He isn't. JYD had one or two daughters and that was it.

After years of using the name a year ago people started calling him out on it. So sometimes now he claims that his dad is JYD and his mom was a ringrat.

Ended up going to the show and filming every match.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDbl4yAcFKen0gh_81PWFkA

It was 5 matches. And decent. But ended up with a stack of WCW VHS. Including a bunch of 2000 PPVs.Then for helping one guy sell his gimmicks I got a copy of that Tim Hornbaker NWA book. 

• Like 1

Indie stuff in my area for the month of May:

-Saturday 5/7: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in St. Louis, MO (afternoon/Cinco De Mayo festival), Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO (evening); Stride Pro Wrestling in Marion, IL
-Saturday 5/14: World League Wrestling in Troy, MO (Ricky Steamboat appearing); Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO; World Powerhouse Wrestling in Kampsville, IL
-Friday 5/20: St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL
-Saturday 5/21: St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL; Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL
-Sunday 5/22: Wrestling Invades America in Swansea, IL
-Saturday 5/28: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in St. Louis, MO (Ready Room)

On 5/2/2016 at 10:34 AM, bobholly138 said:

He isn't. JYD had one or two daughters and that was it.

After years of using the name a year ago people started calling him out on it. So sometimes now he claims that his dad is JYD and his mom was a ringrat.

Ended up going to the show and filming every match.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDbl4yAcFKen0gh_81PWFkA

It was 5 matches. And decent. But ended up with a stack of WCW VHS. Including a bunch of 2000 PPVs.Then for helping one guy sell his gimmicks I got a copy of that Tim Hornbaker NWA book. 

Isn't "guy working a gimmick where he claims to be the illegitimate son of another wrestler" a staple of just about every low budget indy out there?