DVDVR Message Board

2016 US Indy General Discussion (if it doesn't already have a thread)

In news from the Carolinas, Trevor Lee and Roy Wilkins put on a ONE HOUR AND FORTY-FIVE MINUTE MATCH for the CWF Mid-Atlantic title, which apparently is being called an indie MOTYC.

It will air on YouTube on March 9, and I think we need a group viewing to pick this apart.

• Like 2

My wacky indie story of the weekend:  Some guys from another local group(a glorified yarder promotion) were in attendance at the show.  One of them was in full clown facepaint (per his apparent gimmick) and was trying to heckle the wrestlers with a cheap megaphone...as it turned out, he was mostly drowned out by the other fans in the venue.  At the end of the show, the guys from that group left the building trying to start a chant for their own promotion...this led to a confrontation with the promoter and several of the Dynamo Pro roster members before they left the premises.  It wasn't the first time these guys had done something like this as they were apparently at a different show the previous Saturday and doing the same stuff.

In news from the Carolinas, Trevor Lee and Roy Wilkins put on a ONE HOUR AND FORTY-FIVE MINUTE MATCH for the CWF Mid-Atlantic title, which apparently is being called an indie MOTYC.

It will air on YouTube on March 9, and I think we need a group viewing to pick this apart.

I was gonna bring this up, but I don't always like putting over our own shit.  I honestly think it will be regarded pretty well, since it's more of a story driven match, and less of a "Lets have a long match because we can" match.  I just hate that everyone already knows how long it goes, because that kinda kills some of the drama.  It's honestly the best match I've ever called, and possibly the best I've ever seen in person.  I just hope more people come away from it thinking that Roy Wilkins is fucking great, because he is.

Edit: A little spoilery, but a great writeup from someone who was there.  https://storify.com/trask/trevor-lee-vs-roy-wilkins-analysis-from-d-spence

• Like 1

Lighter month in indie rasslin for my area:

-Saturday 3/5: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO
-Saturday 3/12: Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO
-Saturday 3/19: World League Wrestling in Troy, MO
-Saturday 3/26: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Wood River, IL; Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL

I was gonna bring this up, but I don't always like putting over our own shit.  I honestly think it will be regarded pretty well, since it's more of a story driven match, and less of a "Lets have a long match because we can" match.  I just hate that everyone already knows how long it goes, because that kinda kills some of the drama.  It's honestly the best match I've ever called, and possibly the best I've ever seen in person.  I just hope more people come away from it thinking that Roy Wilkins is fucking great, because he is.

Edit: A little spoilery, but a great writeup from someone who was there.  https://storify.com/trask/trevor-lee-vs-roy-wilkins-analysis-from-d-spence

I already heard some people are poo-pooing it because it's too long without even knowing what happens. You and Stuttsy must have been in your glory.

Also, that write-up is what made me go from "hey, I think I'll wanna see this" to "WHY IS MARCH 9 SO, SO FAR AWAY?!?!"

People are definitely trying to dump on it already without having seen it. I trust this place to give it a fair shake though. I thought myself and Stuttsy were on our game, but I'll always feel like nothing I did in the booth would do justice to this match.

Delivered on every level.

My favorite parts:

-Wilkins being completely unselfish and letting Lee outclass him on every level. Just when you think Wilkins is about to mount a comeback, Lee cuts him off at the pass and continues disassembling him.

-That apron STO was NASTY.

-THAT SUPLEX ON THE CHAIRS AAAAAHHHHHHHH

-The second act where Lee is just hauling off on Wilkins and potatoing the hell out of him while he was tied in the ropes.

-The EXCELLENT commentary that stays relevant to the match.

-That double-stomp driver thing Lee lands on Lance Lude. Trevor Lee is pulling out all kinds of tricks I've never seen before.

-LOL Chappy.

Wilkins is going to be a name everyone who follows the indies recognizes within two years. Mark my words.

• Like 1

This is Len Denton's quasi-fed and I just discovered they do a weekly TV show (with better production than a lot of folks)

Dean's boy Gangrel is the champ

So much catching up to do

Fuck man.

Is it just me or does that sound like "got caught trying to work without a visa"?

I think that is exactly what it is

It also seems like he got barred from Mexico too (at an earlier date)