DVDVR Message Board

2016 US Indy General Discussion (if it doesn't already have a thread)

So, we at CWF are presenting our 16th ANNUAL Rumble event here in Gibsonvile.  If you are anywhere on the east coast, and have always wanted to see CWF in person, this is the event to come to.  We have alot of outside talent coming in that we're excited about, and in addition to the Rumble match itself, Trevor Lee defends the heavyweight title against Arik Royal.  If anyone is coming, let me know, Stuttsy and I will be sure to come say hi.

Josh Alexander tweeted that he is not allowed to enter the US anymore for the purpose of wrestling until he gets a US work visa (which he said basically has to be sponsored by a "company")

That is why he had to miss this past weekend's Jim Lynam Invitational for AAW

He did point out that he isn't banned from the US, he just can't work without the visa (I guess he escaped being banned because every time he crossed he told the truth about what he was doing)

I plan on binge watching all of the CHIKARA shows on CHIKARAtopia.

I know I'll most likely get bored of them at some point and drop the ball and cancel my subscription.

They don't have all of the events, but they have the majority of them.

Yesterday I watched the first show and it was exactly what you'd expect to be as a lot of the guys were having their debut matches.

The main event of the Black T-Shirt Squad (Quack, Montoya, Reckless Youth) vs. the Gold Bond Mafia (Punk, Hero, Cabana) was already. I've never watched a lot of Montoya or Reckless Youth, but they looked pretty good, primarily Montoya. He's the complete opposite from all of the other indy guys.

Quack mentioned on commentary that Kanyon got him a match on Nitro with Reckless Youth, but it feel through because Youth still had a 90 day no complete clause as he spent a lot of time in WWF developmental in Memphis.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

I plan on binge watching all of the CHIKARA shows on CHIKARAtopia.

I know I'll most likely get bored of them at some point and drop the ball and cancel my subscription.

They don't have all of the events, but they have the majority of them.

Yesterday I watched the first show and it was exactly what you'd expect to be as a lot of the guys were having their debut matches.

The main event of the Black T-Shirt Squad (Quack, Montoya, Reckless Youth) vs. the Gold Bond Mafia (Punk, Hero, Cabana) was already. I've never watched a lot of Montoya or Reckless Youth, but they looked pretty good, primarily Montoya. He's the complete opposite from all of the other indy guys.

Quack mentioned on commentary that Kanyon got him a match on Nitro with Reckless Youth, but it feel through because Youth still had a 90 day no complete clause as he spent a lot of time in WWF developmental in Memphis.

I was at this show. Also fun to see young Mantis and Hallowicked and Icabod Slayne. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was at this show. Also fun to see young Mantis and Hallowicked and Icabod Slayne. 

Did you go to any of the other weekly $5 Wrestle Factory shows?

I watched their second show from season 1 that's up on CHIKARAtopia and it's the same as the first show. The main event was the Black T-Shirt Squad vs. the Night Shift (Hallowicked, Blind Rage, Icabob Slayne) which obviously wasn't as good as the previous 6 Man Tag Team main event match, but it was far better than any right it had to be considering Hallowicked and Icabob Slayne had very little experience.

There's 2 shows from season 2, which one is the first night of the TWGP which I'm about to start watching as we speak, there's 6 or so shows from season 3 and then they have every show from season 4 onwards.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Josh Alexander tweeted that he is not allowed to enter the US anymore for the purpose of wrestling until he gets a US work visa (which he said basically has to be sponsored by a "company")

That is why he had to miss this past weekend's Jim Lynam Invitational for AAW

He did point out that he isn't banned from the US, he just can't work without the visa (I guess he escaped being banned because every time he crossed he told the truth about what he was doing)

A quick google search suggests this would require an H-1B visa, which would cost a federation about $3000, including immigration lawyer fees.  That covers six years, which is a long time, but someone's gotta put up that money.  Plus you'd have to actually pay him to work on top of that.

Edit: Looks like it wouldn't specifically be an H-1B visa as that's for jobs that require a college degree, but I think the overall point stands.  It's going to cost a fed more than they want to spend.

Watching the CHIKARA TWGP 2003 -- how fun were the Wild Cards, huh?

I've always been a fan of Kingston, but I truly never really appreciated his work with Blackjack Marciano.

Blackjack was pretty good too. I hope they would've stayed together longer.

Their match against Team Kiryoku Pro (Mercedes Martinez and Sumie Sakai) was a lot better than it had any right to be and that was mainly do to the Wild Cards stooging and buffoonery.

The Super Friends (Hero and Quack) vs. Swiss Money Holding (Double C and Ares) was a fun 30 minute draw. Double C wrestled entirely different back then than he does now as Cesaro or as he did years later as a single competitor as Claudio Castagnoli.

Anyway, on a different topic, has anyone ever attended an EVOLVE event? What's the show length usually like? 3 hours? I'm thinking of going to Saturdays event, but I'm not entirely convinced. I'm not familiar with a lot of the guys and I've never seen EVOLVE before as they came around years after I got bored of watching wrestling and stopped following about 8-9 years ago.

I'm familiar with Hero as he's been around forever, Gulak who I've seen on RAW, in the CWC and in some CZW matches, Gallows, Dustin who I believe was Chuck Taylor from CHIKARA Pro, Zack Sabre Jr. I've heard a lot about and I saw him in the CWC and Matt Riddle who used to fight in the UFC.

10 hours ago, Edwin said:

Anyway, on a different topic, has anyone ever attended an EVOLVE event? What's the show length usually like? 3 hours? I'm thinking of going to Saturdays event, but I'm not entirely convinced. I'm not familiar with a lot of the guys and I've never seen EVOLVE before as they came around years after I got bored of watching wrestling and stopped following about 8-9 years ago.

I'm familiar with Hero as he's been around forever, Gulak who I've seen on RAW, in the CWC and in some CZW matches, Gallows, Dustin who I believe was Chuck Taylor from CHIKARA Pro, Zack Sabre Jr. I've heard a lot about and I saw him in the CWC and Matt Riddle who used to fight in the UFC.

Evolve shows are usually about 3 hours long. I think it starts at 8 and will probably be over after 11. It depends on if the feed goes down and they have to have a long intermission. I've been to shows that went almost 5 hours because of that.

On 10/11/2016 at 9:59 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

A quick google search suggests this would require an H-1B visa, which would cost a federation about $3000, including immigration lawyer fees.  That covers six years, which is a long time, but someone's gotta put up that money.  Plus you'd have to actually pay him to work on top of that.

Edit: Looks like it wouldn't specifically be an H-1B visa as that's for jobs that require a college degree, but I think the overall point stands.  It's going to cost a fed more than they want to spend.

*cue my libertarian rant about how fucked up this is and that people should be able to work in any country where someone wants to hire them*

On 10/12/2016 at 0:47 PM, Edwin said:

Watching the CHIKARA TWGP 2003 -- how fun were the Wild Cards, huh?

I've always been a fan of Kingston, but I truly never really appreciated his work with Blackjack Marciano.

Blackjack was pretty good too. I hope they would've stayed together longer.

Their match against Team Kiryoku Pro (Mercedes Martinez and Sumie Sakai) was a lot better than it had any right to be and that was mainly do to the Wild Cards stooging and buffoonery.

I'm amazed it took me this long to make my first post though I've been a long time lurker, but having seen most of early Chikara a few years back I have to say I often wonder what could have been if Blackjack had not been critically injured. I thought the Wild Cards may have been some of the better competitors on the early shows because while they may not have been the most athletic, they were indisputably the best at working the crowds. 

I also lament the passing of Sweet and Sour Larry Sweeney. If he'd been alive now perhaps he would be coming up in NXT. It really does suck we lost two potential greats.

On 9/24/2016 at 6:45 PM, NickMD said:

Anybody at MCW tonight? They had a legends signing convention before the show but missed out on that. The show itself should be good,  and I still got to meet Bill Apter. 

I had to work graveyard and missed that shit.  :(  I totally wanted to meet Bill Apter.

Yeah, Apter was awesome.  We had a pretty good conversation and he seemed like a super nice guy.  Definitely got my money's worth.  Which is more than I can say for Rikishi, who didn't even bother to look up.  Damn did I regret my decision on that one.  The one in November sounds good if you're able to go to that.