DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

Well they are definitely done after that because TNA sent out a release today saying folks in the UK and Ireland can now watch TNA on the TNA App

You just have to pay £4.99 per month. (It starts with the semi-live Jan 5 show)

Also - TNA finally got around to officially announcing its taping dates

Jan 5-8 and then Jan 10-12

If they do what was reported - a couple of those will be super tapings as apparently they are trying to tape enough to get through the end of March

New year.  New owners.  Same TNA.

I like the Hardy stuff to an extent but that's not the answer.  That still delivers a $0 gate, $0 PPV buys, and $0 merch cause no live audience.  I think TNA should do shows at weird venues like the Hardy Compound but more accessible to the general public like nightclubs or a circus but try to get something at the gate.  Wrestling with no live audience comes off very Russo.  It's almost LARPing, really.

I'm assuming Matt Hardy sticks with TNA through 2017 but they need to get either the Briscoes or Bucks to show up during the Jan. tapings and wrestle on the Jan. ONO PPV or TNA has basically given Matt Hardy most of 2016 to build himself up for a program that pays off at ROH.

• Like 1

By Mike Johnson on 2016-12-27 13:12:00
While I have nothing to confirm this is happening, there is a belief among some that I've heard from in the last 24 hours that an official announcement that Anthem Sports and Entertainment has officially purchased TNA and its parent company Impact Ventures LLC from Dixie Carter.    There's been a lot of speculation as to what this means for Carter going forward, but the expectation of all I've spoken to is that she's done with the company in terms of having any true position of power and Ed Nordholm of Anthem will be the lead person going forward.  We've heard Nordholm is very business-oriented.  He has been favorably talked about by several TNA talents.

Also

The company is absolutely moving forward with plans for house shows next year.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope Anthem changes the name of the promotion. I can't think of one good reason to keep the TNA name. 

Maybe they think it's slightly better than Hardys' Backyard Rasslin'. They could just be wary of groups that involve cult followings and compounds.

PWInsider reports that sources state Anthem Sports & Entertainment will officially become the owners of Impact Wrestling and its parent company/assets on January 1, 2017. There will likely be an official announcement about the news then. It’s also expected that there will be an official meeting with talent next week in Orlando.

Meanwhile, Anthem is currently still in talks with Jeff Jarrett but it’s not believed they’ve reached a deal to bring him back in an official capacity at this time. Global Force Wrestling ran an event last night as part of a private event and Jarrett has been going to Los Angeles to work on GFW broadcast deals. Anthem is also working on re-signing talent who have contracts set to expire in 2017, like The Hardys and Drew Galloway.

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

They should bring back Jarrett and give him a redneck Goldfinger gimmick.  

Or not.  There's a reason I'm not a booker.

How about a Midas with the Gold Finger redneck gimmick? Everything he touches turns to Briscoe.

• Like 4

Encouraging to hear that they're going back on the road next year. Hopefully that includes filming tv. 

I recently watched some mid 90's Raw's on the network when they were filming in high school gyms and honestly, it didn't look bad at all, with proper lighting and camera angles. Wouldn't be the worst idea for TNA. 

On 12/28/2016 at 7:10 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope Anthem changes the name of the promotion. I can't think of one good reason to keep the TNA name. 

Stronger branding.  They're almost 15 years in with that name.  No matter what, people will still refer to it as 'TNA'.  Someone hits a highspot, fans will chant 'TNA'.  They do anything stupid, 'LOLTNA'.  I don't buy that their stupid name has held them back any.  Under the 'TNA Wrestling' banner, they were actually profitable and had licensees with merchandise carried in big box retailers.  You could've gone to Toys 'R Us at one time and purchased a 'TNA Wrestling' Homicide action figure.

If anything, I'd shitcan the 'Impact Wrestling' branding.  Hogan/Bischoff screwed up TNA's brand identity and retarded that company worse than all the retarded booking ever did.

The Hogan/Bisch rebranding kinda proves Ben's point. "Impact Wrestling" never stuck, either as the name of the promotion (? I'm still not clear if they even intended to rename the promotion) or the name of the show.  Everyone - from fans to message board posters to Meltzer and the other journalists - still call both the show and the promotion "TNA."  

I'd like to see the name changed, but they'd lose at least some of their brand recognition and building the new brand would be hampered by people referring to the company by the name they know.