DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

2 minutes ago, Skeeball Wizard said:

In a row?

Total. I'm sure there would be at least one short reign each for Vacant, Vincent, Vampiro, and DJ Ran. The rest split between Hall and Nash. Or Hall and Oates, whichever was more readily available. 

When you say Vincent, do you mean Virgil, Russo, or McMahon? Because in a world where WCW is on top and WWE is out of business, you bet your ass Vince McMahon is a former TNA World Champion.

Looking at the festive period telly mags, it seems the final Impact on Challenge is on December 18th, which would be the Dec 15th one (we're three days behind). That's the Hardy compound edition, right? Because I'd hate to think that they'd lose TV without that airing.

No word on a new UK TV deal yet, obvs. It's a different landscape now from when they made the jump from Eurosport to Bravo (the Challenge deal is an extension of that, Bravo got shut down). Fewer players, and they've antagonised the biggest one.

NWO B team Vincent, he who only had pops when fighting Dibiase. But that lonesome title reign somehow means he isn't as lonely at his merch table, so there's a positive here.

I can't bring myself to give Russo a title belt even in an alternate reality.

3 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I've been laughing at this damn post all day. You kind sir, win the Internet. 

ghGXcY.gif

Hah, I watched that gif for a while and didn't notice the background yokel for an embarrassingly long time.

That Connery pic damn near killed me, so i thought a few others may enjoy it too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What exactly is the Dome of Deletion? Did the Hardys buy the cage that Homicide could barely escape from Dixie? 

Correction: could not escape

I think they bought the Battledome. We're finally going to get the payoff to Battledome vs. WCW.

• Like 2

Bobby Lashley vs. Eddie Edwards in a quonset hut. 

This show just keeps getting better and better

They should reference Hellraiser and have the winner offered a puzzle box by an Asian gentleman saying "what's your pleasure, sir?" Then they can open it in the hut like Pinhead did in his and return as a Cenobite

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Jarrett coming back isn't the worst idea.

30 years of being paid more than he drew says otherwise.

Guy is a good hand, but he has never warranted what he has been paid. Unless he knows his role coming in, keep that snake out of the garden.

• Like 1

Here's the full article. Sounds like Anthem is trying to get background info on how the company's been run during different times, not necessarily bringing Jarrett in. 

As TNA gets set to wrap up their tumultuous year of 2016, the year ahead will be one of necessary change under the new regime of Anthem Sports and Entertainment.

With the settlement involving Billy Corgan now behind them, Anthem Sports now has the task of overseeing a wrestling promotion and reviving the TNA brand in the marketplace.

Earlier this year, Challenge TV in the U.K. announced they would not be continuing their relationship with TNA when the current deal expires, a part of the world that TNA found great success in through their television exposure and annual Maximum Impact tours.

The company remains on television with long-terms international deals in India on Sony Six, in South Africa on SuperSport and in Canada on Fight Network (which is run by Anthem Sports).

We at The LAW can confirm that Anthem has had conversations with a handful of people from within the industry, the most interesting name being TNA co-founder Jeff Jarrett. Anthem informed us that Jarrett does not have a role with the company or serving as an advisor with nothing beyond conversations at this point. The talks were characterized as more background information for Anthem and it would be premature to assume Jarrett will have any role within the company.

Jarrett resigned from the company three-years ago but did remain on as an investor and had a brief return in 2015 where Jarrett worked the Slammiversary pay-per-view, was inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame and was able to promote his Global Force Wrestling brand on TNA programming.

When it comes to TNA creative, most believe the time period they were most successful came between 2005-2006 where Jarrett oversaw the creative direction and was run by Scott D’Amore, who works with Jarrett presently through Global Force Wrestling.

It was during this time period that TNA had limited television through Fox Sports Net for a time in 2005, then had their television online before signing on with Spike TV and the word of mouth led to good numbers on pay-per-view by the standards of TNA’s history on pay-per-view.

The TNA model of 2004-2006 was very reminiscent of the modern day NXT brand with hot talent from the independent scene (many of which are now under WWE deals), television based out of a small venue in Florida and the attempt to tour outside of Florida.

Another issue for TNA heading into the next set of television tapings is their creative team, which recently lost writer David Lagana, who left the company in November and had been with TNA since 2011. Ideally, they are hoping to add another writer and possibly 2-3 for the creative team.

One of the other interesting aspects for 2017 is how open TNA will become to working with other wrestling promotions. Earlier this month, Matt Hardy appeared by video on the ROH Final Battle event to set up a future match between The Young Bucks and The Hardys. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter has since reported that the match is scheduled for WrestleMania weekend in Lakeland, Florida on April 1st. It is unknown yet if the match and event will be made available for broadcast or restricted to those in attendance for the show.

It’s an interesting situation when it comes to two separate wrestling promotions with their own television in place, but in this case Anthem owns TNA and airs Ring of Honor television in Canada and therefore would appear to be more receptive to cross promotion of talent and inter-promotional ideas to bolster both brands.

The largest issue remains their U.S. television situation and how viable the company can be with such a limited audience. Since November, Impact has averaged 339,000 viewers on POP TV (and that’s factoring out Thanksgiving night, which led to their lowest number on POP on the holiday). This comes prior to the airing of Total Nonstop Deletion, an episode of Impact that has the most buzz for any edition of Impact in months with a two-hour program filmed from The Hardy compound in North Carolina.

Following this week’s episode, Impact is expected to have a pair of “Best of” shows for the remaining two weeks of 2016 and then present a new episode on Thursday January 5th from the upcoming tapings in Orlando.

I thought Impact was finished on Challenge, but according to the next issue of TV Quick (not available in shops now*) it's airing regular time on New Year's Day.

* They sent them out early, with a note saying don't put these on shelves before Friday.