DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

48 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

How on Earth was someone not prosecuted for that?

Well I am assuming (since we are only hearing the story now) that when the IRS came a calling, TNA immediately paid them and the IRS went on its merry way.

They aren't going to prosecute them if they got their money.

• Like 3

Exactly.  Like any bureaucracy, the IRS would rather just settle things quickly than take it to court.  Maybe TNA  paid a fine, but that would be about it.  I'm sure this kind of thing happens every day in many, many shady companies.

Speaking of "how shady companies do things as regular business practices," Prichard went into, in his expression, how TNA treats its wrestlers like contractors.  What he meant was twofold.  One, wrestlers were treated as easily replaceable (you can always hire a new plumber).  Two, wrestlers were treated the way some really shitty companies will with regard to accounts payable, holding off on paying a third party for work forever. I like to call it The Trump Method.  The way TNA came across in the podcast, it sounded like all this awful shit is just common policies and procedures at Panda and Janice was running TNA like any other business the Carters owned.

Did you all hear the one about the time nobody was paid at all?  Wrestlers were pestering Prichard constantly and when he called accounting multiple times, they actually gave him check numbers and FedEx information.  They swore checks had been sent and it must be a post office issue.  Yes, a post office issue at every wrestler's post office.  This went on, back and forth, for some time.  Eventually, somehow, it was all settled and accounting did "re-send" the checks, according to them.  The wrestlers all received FedEx envelopes.  Inside each was another FedEx envelope with the original postmark and old check.  So what TNA accounting had done was cut the checks in the first place, paid for the postage, then sat on them.  What a bunch of horrible fucks.  This company deserves to burn and the Carters deserve debtor's prison.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

It sort of amuses me that the real winner out of this, when it comes to history, could be Corgan. He might be seen ten years from now as the great savior that TNA screwed over before he could finally lead them out of the darkness.

if Billy Corgan is the one to finally kill TNA, then he is in fact the great savior. 

hell, it may be the highlight of his professional life.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

if Billy Corgan is the one to finally kill TNA, then he is in fact the great savior. 

hell, it may be the highlight of his professional life.

I don't know about the highlight of his career. Don't discount how good Gish and Siamese Dream were. Mellon Collie would have been better trimmed down to one disc. I feel like there was a lot of filler on that album. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know about the highlight of his career. Don't discount how good Gish and Siamese Dream were. Mellon Collie would have been better trimmed down to one disc. I feel like there was a lot of filler on that album. 

not really a Pumpkins fan at all. Ok, maybe "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" is his highlight, since i actually enjoy that song, but mercy-killing TNA has to be #2, right?

4 minutes ago, twiztor said:

not really a Pumpkins fan at all. Ok, maybe "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" is his highlight, since i actually enjoy that song, but mercy-killing TNA has to be #2, right?

Yeah, I'll give you that. I'd go:

1. Siamese Dream

2. Killing TNA

3. Gish

4. Pisces Iscariot

5. Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

How on Earth was someone not prosecuted for that?

It happens more than you'd expect.  Taxes and other withholdings don't get magically sent to the government when your boss writes out your paycheck.  The employer is responsible for keeping track of the amount of withholding from each check and, at some point, they send the government a check for all withholdings from a certain period (month, quarter, etc.).  I'm an accountant.  I've had my share of clients who withheld the proper amount from their employees' paychecks, then didn't have enough in the bank account to cover the check, or forgot or whatever.  More often than not, they weren't trying to run a scam.  They just weren't taking in enough revenue to pay the bills.  Or they were just horrible businessmen/women.  

I once had a bar owner bounce his tax withholding check to the fed government.  The reason?  He ran a cash business and didn't believe in 24-hr banking.  On the weekends, he'd cart home a large bag of cash, record the deposit he was going to make Monday morning in his checkbook, and hide the bag under the floorboards (literally!).  Then he'd often forget to actually go to the bank on Monday and no one would notice until checks started bouncing while his checkbook showed a positive balance.  He wasn't a bit crooked.  He was actually extremely ethical and principled.  He just was kinda dumb and in over his head with the business.

Edit: As far as prosecution goes, you can absolutely be prosecuted for not paying taxes - be it personal taxes or the tax you withhold from employees' paychecks.  But generally, you'll get several chances to make good on the debt (and penalties).  Putting you in jail doesn't necessarily mean your tax bill will be paid, and the government will spend a good amount on the prosecution, so it's generally in their interest to work with you to get current.  I assume TNA paid whatever back amount they owed instead of forcing the issue and having people go to jail.

• Like 2

TNA is also being sued by BankDirect Capital Finance, LLC, which according to the Wrestling Observer filed a lawsuit on Sept. 29 in Cook County, Ill. The lawsuit claims it reached a deal with TNA Entertainment LLC to supply $400,146.00 so TNA could pay insurance premiums. TNA began to meet a monthly payback schedule, but still owes just over half of the initial loan – $207,612.29.

All these TNA lawsuits make me think of this:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, I'll give you that. I'd go:

1. Siamese Dream

2. Killing TNA

3. Gish

4. Pisces Iscariot

5. Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness

I'd switch Killing TNA and Siamese Dream. The album still holds up and Cherub Rock would have been an all time great wrestling theme but c'mon now. 

I'd also take Mellon Collie off the list and replace it with Paws Chicago at #5. 

140522-billy-corgan-paws-chicago-cover.jpg

• Like 10

I am highly amused at that magazine cover.  Well-played, Paws Chicago.

If I heard right Billy will either take the money today or say no and go through with the suit.   I would like to think he'll refuse the money from Anthem, at least I hope so.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

TIL @Vader does my taxes! is an accountant, which is awesome.  We need more people with IRL occupation-based handles.  If I find out NickMD is a practicing physician, I'll shit myself.

Dude, like I told @Tromatagon on Twitter, I'd love to have that sweet doctor salary.  Wish I was though, but then I would hardly be on here.

EDIT: Just changed my name, first time doing that since I've been on here in '02.  This feels oddly weird.

And @MonteCarl, I could sure use that TNA Dumpster Fire right now, it's cold over here.  But yeah, I heard it was today too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Isn't today the day that Corgan's lawsuit against TNA is supposed to be unsealed? When do we get all the details to throw in to the dumpster fire?

It is supposed to be.

I just saw Bix asking if anyone in Nashville wanted to do him a favor and I am assuming going and putting in a request for the docs (or something along those lines)